Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: My Fitness Pal Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 29 2014 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Are you active on My Fitness Pal? You'll find me there at AngieMc6.

I also mentioned this at The Engagement Game

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 29 2014 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Oh ladies, I've found exactly what I need and I want to share my start-up excitement with you!

So far, and this is just after 3 days, this is what I'm liking about MFP:

Easily syncs my iPhone and MacBook.

There are other ways to customize what I need via Wifi; I'm looking at a scale that syncs into the system, for example.

The scanning option via my iPhone is amazing! Food Diary -> Add Food -> Scanner Icon -> point at barcode...that's it!

The food database is ENORMOUS! I haven't scanned one food that hasn't been located, to include some obscure things from Trader Joes.

The Recipe Importer syncs with allrecipes.com, Taste of Home, anywhere there is a recipe format I guees, and you can add you own recipes!

I'll keep you posted

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2014 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

I've been on MFP for about 3 weeks. I really like it, too. It has really enlightened me about how big my portions sizes had become, and it is helping me to lose weight.

I use the app for it on my Kindle, primarily.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 29 2014 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Good for you, Monica!

I spoke with a local friend who, like me, looked at MFP a few years ago but didn't use it because it was pretty clumsy. She likes what she is seeing now, too!

Oh, and I'll be super happy to be your friend there. If you use a code name like "skinnymama", just let me know that it is you :)

Love,

Barb.b
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2014 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote Barb.b

OHHH! Love MFP.

Lost 18 lbs last summer using it! I still use it most days to stay on track!

A kitchen scale is a must - I am very particular about being accurate at what I put in MFP. I love if I go out to eat most chain restaurant foods are in the data base. I love the feature to scan a bar code of grocery store items in it to automatically put in.

I like seeing the daily nutrition info - its nice to see how I'm doing with things like protein, carbs, fat, calcium . . .

I know there are fitness apps that sync with it too. I forget the name of the one I use when I go on walks - it can sync with my fitness pal to adjust your net calories!

Barb
Back to Top View Barb.b's Profile Search for other posts by Barb.b

Barb.b
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2014 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote Barb.b

Angie - you don't look like you need to lose!

You look great already!

Barb
Back to Top View Barb.b's Profile Search for other posts by Barb.b

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 29 2014 at 11:58pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Barb.b wrote:
Angie - you don't look like you need to lose!

You look great already!

Barb
   Barb, you are sweet! Yes, I'm fortunate and only need to lose a few pounds to be at my ideal weight. But I'm inching close to a pre-diabetic diagnosis so that's the main reason I'm focusing on food (low fat, high fiber, low carb). Also, I want to run...so that's something I'm working toward too :)

Love,

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2014 at 6:06am | IP Logged Quote jawgee

Congrats on wanting to run, Angie! My DH and I have been taking a "Run for God" class at a local Catholic parish and it's been very good. Our 5K is in two weeks.

The truth is that DH talked me into it. He's a runner - a marathoner and a triathlete. I'm not, but I am really been working hard to increase my running times and I'm determined to run, not walk, this 5K.

I'm jawgee73 on MFP.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2014 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote Martha

I still have my fitness pal, but since W30 doesn't count calories, I don't use it as much as when I first started using it over a year ago. But it is helpful in getting in a mentality of really noticing what you eat. Not just food, but drinks and activities. My favorite thing was to use the pie chart that divided my types of calories into carbs, fats, and proteins. My goal was to make sure my proteins was the largest portion. Or at least not the smallest. (ETA1 However, I was annoyed that it made no difference between good and bad fats. So if I ate a whole avocado with with my salad? Yep. Too many fats it said. So I ignored that when I knew that's what it was. ETA2 also I liked to see my nutrient content listing. It is not highly accurate, but the point is to get an idea of my nutrient content over a day/week. I tend to be anemic, so it was nifty to see what could boost my iron for example.)

And it's nice to cheer your friends on too.

What do you want to know about W30? I've been doing it over a year now and it's no longer a diet I do, but just my general all the time way of eating. I have rice and wine sometimes tho.

I've lost almost 60lbs in a 15 month period. I still need to lose about 20-30lbs, which is always the toughest part to lose in cold weather. As the weather warms up, I'm trying to be more physical. And once I get my ticker ticking right, I'd like to be able to get back to my Leslie sansone DVDs on day when I can't get to the garden or pool.

I'm trying to have the whole family do a highly modified W30 for lent and that's being an interesting trial by food experiment.   

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 05 2014 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Martha wrote:
However, I was annoyed that it made no difference between good and bad fats. So if I ate a whole avocado with with my salad? Yep. Too many fats it said. So I ignored that when I knew that's what it was.

And it's nice to cheer your friends on too.

What do you want to know about W30?

I'm getting the swing of the good fats/ bad fats too...and just knowing that avocado is good for me so it trumps for that day!

The friend part is proving fun, especially since I'm not seeing my local friends as much this spring because of baseball.

I'll get back to you about W30 if I ever get that far! Right now, like you stated, I'm getting a handle on the way and foods that I eat. For now, minor changes are making a big difference, mainly WHEN I eat carbs...not so much if or how many. Well, it is sort of how many in that I can't eat too many at one eating episode.

Thanks, Martha! And keep up the great work!

Hi, Monica, I just added you as a friend :)

Love,

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2014 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote Martha

Oh yeah. I needed it to remind me to eat. If I don't force myself to eat I will go all day with nothing other than coffee until nearly 4:00. I'm just not hungry until then. Then I'd be RAVENOUS and could probably out eat my teen boys. Not a real good to repeatedly carb up like a linebacker and then just go to bed. MFP got me in the habit of not just eating healthier food, but eating it more often throughout the day.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version