Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Tour de France Idea Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 03 2006 at 11:58pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

That would be an easy way to follow along Helen. We are going to try to keep up as much as possible. BTW, how large are your maps going to be and where do you get them?

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2006 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote Helen

momwise wrote:
BTW, how large are your maps going to be and where do you get them?

Last year I just enlarged (with a photocopier) a map from the Rand McNally atlas. I taped it together and attached it to a poster board. The size was good, but the taping was tedious. It didn't survive for use this year. (I have it, but it is in rags.)

I just ordered a Michelin map from Amazon. It may be too large. I'll let you know.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2006 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Organizational question:
With the tour beginning on July 1 in Strasbourg,when should I post the ideas for "hosting the tour"? When should each stage post?
What would be best for those who would like to follow along?

Should it be on the day? A day before? Two days before? Or even after - what actually took place?

Oh, and the map was too large and visually complicated. I've been meaning to google "Large Outline Map of France" but I haven't gotten to it. I did make a free hand outline map of France on my large trifold project board. I am planning to just add the names of the cities on the Tour and any "side trips" we make. I'll use the Michelin as a reference.

Please let me know about posting dates (private message or email me if you would rather not post - thanks)

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2006 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Helen wrote:

Now, we have to figure out when we are posting the information we gather?

If all is going well with our fantastic volunteers, may I suggest the following dates for posting their ideas?

I'll post on Friday, June 30th
July 6th for Christine (stage 6)
July 8th for Dawn (stage 8)
July 11th Mary M (stage 10)
July 13th Cay (stage 12)
July 19th for Elizabeth (stage 17)
Angie Mc with the final in Paris on July 22.

If you have any recipes or other ideas that might need special ingredients or supplies, please consider posting this information at the Collecting Data thread.

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2006 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

I'm in a real crunch for time (posting from the library and just received my 10 min. warning ) but I just returned from a trip where I talked with my Swiss uncle, who said the Swiss Tour was just wrapping up. This leads up to the French race. Thought your dc might like to get an early start by brushing up on Switzerland!

Oops...there's my 5 min. warning...Yikes! I'll be back when I get a computer

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 28 2006 at 3:27am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Helen wrote:
I'll post on Friday, June 30th
July 6th for Christine (stage 6)
July 8th for Dawn (stage 8)
July 11th Mary M (stage 10)
July 13th Cay (stage 12)
July 19th for Elizabeth (stage 17)
Angie Mc with the final in Paris on July 22.

It's funny - this has been bugging me for some reason. I like closure - for things to be complete, so was sad to see that we don't have all the stages covered. I've decided to take a few more if that's okay. It won't be really detailed, but will add a few more days.
I'll also take Stage 4, Stage 5, and Stage 13. Do you think we should PM with others whose stages might overlap our regions so we don't duplicate info - it would save everyone some time and effort, I think.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2006 at 6:08am | IP Logged Quote Helen

MaryM wrote:
    I've decided to take a few more if that's okay. It won't be really detailed, but will add a few more days.
I'll also take Stage 4, Stage 5, and Stage 13.   

Great Mary!
I might have some suggestions for the first couple of days outside of France.

Momwise's site is very helpful. (Thanks!)

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2006 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

First Stage of the Tour de France - Strasbourg
With our outline map of France on a trifold cardboard poster in the family room, I’ve been attempting read alouds with a French theme. The book that finally “took” is the Wheel on the School. Even though it is set in Holland, it has been working very nicely. The kids love it and most of them are engaged. (I guess you can tell a Living Book by its appeal.) We are also reading Seeing Fingers, the story of Louis Braille and a few picture books:

Anatole series especially Antatole Over Paris
Linnea in Monet’s Garden
Mike Venezia’s Monet
Toto in Paris
Mirette on the High Wire
The Giraffe that Walked to Paris
Stork photograph book

Macbeth reminded me to use Fabre’s books for nature study. We’ll pull out his books again.

The weather has been pretty unusual with scads of rain, so, we did end up beginning a notebook of sorts. Again, I hope to return to this notebook next year and have the children add narrations, drawings and other written work which helps them to record their learning experiences. I’ve been using colored manilla folders, trimmed and hole punched to begin our notebooks. Each stage is given a symbol.
Strasbourg located in Alsace has a stork as its symbol.

The Stork children's book with photographs was very helpful.(I'm sorry I can't remember the name of it.) We learned that storks are not found in North America. They nest in Northern Europe and winter in Africa. We looked at a big wall map.
Here are a few pictures of the stork page of our
notebooks.
The first day of the Tour is a time trial. Bicycling would be the best activity, but a bit beyond me with the ages of my children. Weather permitting, we will play a few obstacle games, races in the yard (even better if I can get a stop watch) and then we’ll hand out some T shirts. I ended up getting different colored T shirts from the store instead of using white T shirts with fabric paint. The kids are delighted.

Strasbourg is a very German style city. (Don't forget to call German shepherds Alsatian dogs.)

Wine is important to the region. Alsace wine seems to be predominately white. I do have a bottle of Alsatian wine ready to go for this weekend. I don’t think I’ve ever tried this type of wine before, and I think I might actually remember if I like this wine or not. I didn’t find any Alsatian cheese in the supermarket. (Trader Joe’s seems to be a good source for finding imported foods.) The Asaltian wine has an interesting shaped bottle.

We've watched a few videos:
Rick Steve’s France,
modern marvels: The Eiffel Tower, and the
Cordon Bleu cooking school videos.
Along with the Cordon Bleu Regional France cookbook, I've found a few recipes to try. The video really helped me to be more successful with the recipes.

Rick Steve showed us Colmar, a beautiful little town unharmed during WWII. In this city’s museum is Grunewald’s 14 panel altarpiece. Here is his biographical sketch with links to his works. (Press crucifixion and resurrection for some of his most famous works.)
Grunewald's Biography and Paintings
Rick Steves said the paintings were commissioned by the staff of a hospital which cared for people with skin diseases.
But, we’ll be highlighting
Monet this month.

We’re going to use the recipe recommended on this page:
Flammenkucke. I've really enjoyed the France Montly newsletter and site.

Earlier I posted about our miniatures of the monuments in France.

Here are some possible rabbit trails:
Chateau des Rohan
The Cathedral of Strasbourg has a famous astrological clock. (See the France Monthly site.)

Nearby is the Bugatti Car Museum. I didn't find any really good sites with information about this museum. But, a library near me has a book called Classic Cars, which I hope to borrow.

A site with photgraphs of Strasbourg

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2006 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Helen wrote:
Momwise's site is very helpful. (Thanks!)

Don't thank me yet --if you've seen the other thread you know I posted the 2002 route

Well I have the correct map now; I made it by 1 day! Is this where you post your stage info? I will take a stage. I'll figure out which ones are taken and let you know.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 01 2006 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Angie Mc wrote:
Helen, you might need to hold my hand a bit here. Our strength rests in following the sport itself.

Being Johnny Raincloud here...
Our family is less than thrilled with this news about racers barred connected with doping scandel. Without Armstrong to cheer on, we were really looking forward to watching Ullrich, in particular, try to win this thing finally. We are also a bit attached to Basso because of his inclusion of his child in his victory last year.

Having said that, we're cheering for Floyd Landis, an American and old team mate of Armstrong. We were able to meet him last fall at the Tour de Tucson. I'll have dd post pictures of him with the children. He was very pleasant.

Not that we're experts here, but if you all have any questions about the sport itself, feel free to ask me and I'll ask my dh .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 01 2006 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Mary M suggested having a separate thread just for the final suggestions.
I began one here.
I will cut and paste my first stage suggestions and move it over.
I hope I am just simplifying things and not make them more complicated.

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 04 2006 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Please look at this thread for Mary M's great post on Belgium and tomorrow's part of the race.
Thanks Mary!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version