Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Photography and cameras Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 24 2014 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I have to take some time to read all this information, but I just had to say that I'm so happy you talented daughters (young ladies) are sharing your knowledge and experience.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2014 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Grace,

Thank you too for taking the time to write and share your lovely Flickr site with us too.

I wish you girls all lived closer - you could teach photography classes!

You have inspired me to learn along with my kids, and we are starting saving for a good family camera. In the meantime we will learn from all the shared resources and continue snapping away with our little point and shoot.....

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2014 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

One more question - because I am a total photography novice - why do you need a lens as well as a camera?

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 25 2014 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

DSLR cameras tend to be sold with the lens kit separate from the camera body. The lenses are interchangeable. I think Sarah has 3 lenses...maybe 4. I can't remember.

When purchasing, most cameras come with a lens kit as a package with the camera body - it's almost always a really good deal and better than purchasing the body and the lens separately. The standard lens kit comes with an 18-55 lens, which is a good lens to learn with.

This is a really good article that explains about different lenses - and ranks the 4 lenses that are most popular.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2014 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Hello! This is Katie, Angela's daughter. I've been into photography for a few years, but just got my first DSLR camera (a Canon Rebel t3i) this past Christmas. (**Note from Mom: it was a family gift. Mom wanted to use it, too!) My old camera (a Sony Cybershot) was a good camera to learn on, but if you're really serious about photography a DSLR is better.
I don't use a lot of online resources for photography; instead I like to learn through books and by trying different angles and settings. But I've learned a lot through Flickr. It's pretty cool how many experienced and talented photographers there are on that site that are eager to give advice and encouragement.
Some books I like are BetterPhoto Basics, Nature Photography Photo Workshop, and for the more bird-conscious photographer (like me): The Birdwatcher's Guide to Digital Photography.

You can take a look at my Flickr account if you'd like. The most recent photos are taken with the Canon Rebel (most with my Canon 75-300 mm lens), but most of the photos were taken with the Sony Cybershot.

Hope this helped!

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2014 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thank you Katie - your Flickr site is lovely - we love your bird and nature photos (the Great Blue Heron is probably my favorite bird - I photograph them whenever I can!) Thanks for the book suggestions too - I have put them on wishlists as gift ideas for my guys.

Thank you again for sharing your talent and expertise!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 05 2014 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

For all the budding photographers here, I am curious as to what operating system you use for your photo editing? Apple or PC?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 05 2014 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
For all the budding photographers her, I am curious as to what operating system you use for your photo editing? Apple or PC?

Running Maverick 10.9.1 on an Apple MacBook Air.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Wanted to just emphasize one point made already. I've been doing Semi-professional photography for several years and can't tell you how important it is to learn your cameras basics. In fact, I would completely restrict myself from automatic settings until they were mastered.

Even better would be to get an old SLR camera that forces you to perfect your craft before getting a DSLR which enables even the simplest of people to be great... and relying on post-production editing to compensate for mistakes.

These digital tools are fantastic and useful. But photographers who have a solid understanding and comfortability with the basics (most DSLR owners know a bit about using some manual features but aren't comfortable doing so regularly) have a marked advantage and skill level over others who just happen to have a fancy camera.

Lastly, unless you're blowing prints up to life size posters, virtually any current megapixel offering on DSLRs will be more than fine. All you really need is 6 to 8 MPs for prints up to 11 x 14. Above this is just to impress consumers with higher numbers and is going to hog up your storage.

Okay, that's my .02

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

knowloveserve wrote:
Lastly, unless you're blowing prints up to life size posters, virtually any current megapixel offering on DSLRs will be more than fine. All you really need is 6 to 8 MPs for prints up to 11 x 14. Above this is just to impress consumers with higher numbers and is going to hog up your storage.

That's what I had learned, so I'm glad to hear it's still the case!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Has anyone used the Creative Cloud? It looks like a good deal for homeschool teachers and students.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Yes. We do.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mackfam wrote:
Yes. We do.

Thanks, Jen. Trying to figure out the hardware and software when I'm upgrading the computer and changing to Mac. My current graphic software can do multiple things, and not isolate vector, photos, etc. separately and the price tags are shocking me!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
Mackfam wrote:
Yes. We do.

Thanks, Jen. Trying to figure out the hardware and software when I'm upgrading the computer and changing to Mac. My current graphic software can do multiple things, and not isolate vector, photos, etc. separately and the price tags are shocking me!

We're using a trial version right now. You might set up the trial version of Creative Cloud to see what you think before you subscribe if you're concerned about cost.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version