Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Dinner this week.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
dinasiano
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 6:27am | IP Logged Quote dinasiano

This is fun!

This week I am defrosting whatever is in my freezer. I have a terrible habit of freezing meat and then having to throw it out after many months

Today we are having a snow day so I figure it is a good day to do some menu planning for next week and get my shopping lists together. Do you all shop a certain day of the week and do you plan your menus around sales?

I have had great success menu planning in past years but I have had a hard time getting my act together lately.   

For the rest of this week:

Wednesday: Chicken and steak
Thursday: not sure yet
Friday: Potatoes and eggs- we have this mostly every Friday
Back to Top View dinasiano's Profile Search for other posts by dinasiano

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

dinasiano wrote:
This is fun!

Do you all shop a certain day of the week and do you plan your menus around sales?

I usually do my shopping on Friday or Saturday...and start planning on Thursday or Friday morning.

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

MelissaClaire wrote:
I made the orange chicken above for lunch today and it was very good, but VERY spicy for us. I used only 1 tsp of the Siracha sauce instead of 1/2 a T and it was too spicy for any of my kids. (my husband and I like it though!) So when I make it next I'm going to just add a splash of it instead.

Good to know! Maybe I should add a disclaimer that Sriracha packs quite a punch and you should taste as you go!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom wrote:
It is something my MIL makes frequently. I have made my own sauerkraut, but this cooks for so long, I wouldn't bother using raw, fermented sauerkraut.

I peel and cut the potatoes into a largish dice, slice the kielbasa into coins, and add a jar (or can or bag) of sauerkraut and some caraway seeds. The sauerkraut and sausage are usually salty enough. You can rinse the sauerkraut depending on how salty your sauerkraut is and how much you like it, but MIL and I do not rinse.

Now, the last time I made it, I thought that something sweet would be a good addition, and I peeled and chopped two apples along with the potatoes, and it was really good! Dh admitted it was an improvement

It is probably 3 lbs of potatoes to 1 lb of sausage to 1 jar of kraut. It just simmers until the potatoes are soft. The kraut usually has enough water, but if you drain and rinse the kraut, I'm guessing you'd want to add some water.

I ended up making this today and remembered the bay leaf, which I forgot to mention here.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks, Lindsay!

Today was a red letter day. I made dinner (tacos) for the first since before my heart surgery!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

dinasiano wrote:
This is fun!

Do you all shop a certain day of the week and do you plan your menus around sales?

Hi Dina, I am not the greatest at planning. But the busier I am the more I need to plan. So I generally plan based on when dinner needs to be cooked and the activities and weather.. and then based on what's in my pantry/freezer/etc. I work off a pantry system which means I shop to fill in holes in what I have, purchase items that are on sale at a really good price, and buy the perishables and whatever extras we might need that week.

Since we're in town and stores very close I tend to shop when I go out for other reasons because if I don't go out and need something it doesn't take long to run to the store.

I work off a master "meals we like" list.. some are obviously too expensive for everyday and others we have very often because they're well liked and cheap. We almost always have a variety of burritos on Tuesday because that's my busiest evening and my boys cook dinner and the girls get clean up on that day because of the breakdown of activities.

Other than that a lot of it is what I find as a deal and what I feel like having or if someone has asked for something (that's reasonable to do).

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 6:23pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I'm trying to have all of my meals made THE NIGHT BEFORE! Any ideas for make ahead meals, slow cooked overnight, etc. is greatly appreciated!

Greek Slow Cooker Chicken
+
Greek Extras
Basil-Pesto Almonds

Gingered Carrot Soup
+
Soup Extras
Wheat Oat Snack Bread
Microwave Popcorn

Slow Cooker Pasta Sauce
+
Amy's Lentil Soup
Italian Extras
berries, ricotta, honey, zest

Baked Potato Bar
+
Oatmeal & Blueberris

Delicious Egg Salad for Sandwiches
+
2 carrots = 1T peanut butter
Veggies

Tomato Zucchini Casserole
+
Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

No ideas, Angie, although I just had someone bring us Jambalaya made in the crockpot. It was more sauce to pour over rice, but it was DELICIOUS!

And I've just been craving egg salad. I'll have to wait, because I discovered as I cooked dinner tonight that the pantry and fridge are bare of simple basics like onions, garlic and celery.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 27 2014 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

CrunchyMom wrote:
It is something my MIL makes frequently. I have made my own sauerkraut, but this cooks for so long, I wouldn't bother using raw, fermented sauerkraut.

I peel and cut the potatoes into a largish dice, slice the kielbasa into coins, and add a jar (or can or bag) of sauerkraut and some caraway seeds. The sauerkraut and sausage are usually salty enough. You can rinse the sauerkraut depending on how salty your sauerkraut is and how much you like it, but MIL and I do not rinse.

Now, the last time I made it, I thought that something sweet would be a good addition, and I peeled and chopped two apples along with the potatoes, and it was really good! Dh admitted it was an improvement

It is probably 3 lbs of potatoes to 1 lb of sausage to 1 jar of kraut. It just simmers until the potatoes are soft. The kraut usually has enough water, but if you drain and rinse the kraut, I'm guessing you'd want to add some water.

ETA: Forgot the bay leaf!

Lindsay, do you ever keep the sausages whole?

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 27 2014 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JennGM wrote:
CrunchyMom wrote:

ETA: Forgot the bay leaf!

Lindsay, do you ever keep the sausages whole?

I have not. It is really one of those two bites of potatoes, a bite of sauerkraut, a bite of sausage dishes, if that makes sense.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version