Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Calligraphy Resources? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I really want to learn calligraphy and also improve my handwriting. Please would your recommend calligraphy resources for ME...

Two of my projects are to a) make calligraphy cards b)use calligraphy in my journals.

Thanks!

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

One of my favorite subjects and things to do!!

Books by Eleanor Winters are excellent. For beginning, her "kids" books are universally appealing.

You can find calligraphy fountain pens at the big box craft stores, although if I remember correctly, Hobby Lobby and Michaels have the best selection. I started with Sheaffer, but I find that Manuscript are better. You probably want to start either with italic or a pointed pen script! like copperplate.

Two online sites for great ideas: John Neal Bookseller and Paper and Ink Arts.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2014 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thanks Jenn for the ideas. I think I will get the Eleanor Winters kid book. Would the Elegant Writer marker pens do, or should I get a fountain pen?

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 16 2014 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

A marker pen is good for the very beginning so you can figure out how to hold the angle and practice a bit.

The point wears out pretty quickly, but it's better to start with marker.

After getting the hang, switch to metal nibs. Make you have your own, and no one else uses it. (This really applies to all calligraphy pens.) The nibs conform to your use, but if someone uses (misuses) the pen, you will be frustrated that the angles are wrong and the ink doesn't flow right. Plus, there are different angles used for different scripts, which makes the ink flow differently.

The negative side of felt tip is the angles aren't as sharp as a metal tip, nor can you get varied sizes as much as metal nibs.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

If you are interested in pointed pen scripts, this is an excellent resource. I had started learning, and my teacher got sick...and things went by the wayside. This is a goal for me to learn one of these hands. Problem is I can't decide which one.

juliana147
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote juliana147

I like the Eleanor Winters books, too. The "kids" books are very beginner-friendly. Margaret Shepherd's books are fun, too, and not very serious. Calligraphy Alphabets Made Easy (no link, sorry!) has some wonderful experimental examples. These would be fun in a journal.

I love calligraphy...   

Back to Top View juliana147's Profile Search for other posts by juliana147

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

juliana147 wrote:
I like the Eleanor Winters books, too. The "kids" books are very beginner-friendly. Margaret Shepherd's books are fun, too, and not very serious. Calligraphy Alphabets Made Easy (no link, sorry!) has some wonderful experimental examples. These would be fun in a journal.

I love calligraphy...   

A fellow scribe!!!!! Margaret Shepherd was one of the first authors. I think professionals don't think highly of her work, but I agree, they aren't too serious and easy to follow.

I really like the books by David Harris, and really enjoy Marie Angel's books, if you get into painting and calligraphy. A lot of eye candy.

I just requested yesterday the Modern Calligraphy book from my library.

I admit to owning many books over the years. I like to compare and contrast and I always take away some new knowledge or application with every book.

juliana147
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2014 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote juliana147

I like Marie Angel, too, Jenn! Her paintings are so beautiful.

I got the same impression about the Shepherd books, but I really like them. They were a friendly way to start.

By the way, I have Modern Calligraphy. I hesitated to recommend it because it is so... modern. I can't decide if it's a good place for a beginner to start. I guess I am torn as to whether I like the new "look" of pointed pen, but it is definitely evolving.

Heather Held does beautiful work with the pointed pen. I think I've seen tutorials by her on the Paper and Ink Arts website.

Marilyn, I hope you enjoy this as much as Jenn and I do!

Back to Top View juliana147's Profile Search for other posts by juliana147

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Well of course some of my favorite girls have started talking about this! I JUST wrote calligraphy into my lesson plans for this week!! How timely, I love consolations like this!

I have a few calligraphy books as well, including the Winter’s Kids book....really looking forward to diving in this week with some of the online resources you all posted. Nice!!

I’m a complete newbie, but want to start a Commonplace Book for myself! What spurred me on was reading along with my freshman the Youcat...it has a wonderful set of great quotes and Bible verses with all of the margins. I have used several for copywork, etc...but I want to take my “art journaling” to a different level, and make a "Commonplace Book", or a "Book of Mottos” using some art journaling techniques and calligraphy.

How timely...thanks for the OP, Marilyn!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version