Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: For Fun! Dress Your Truth Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 23 2014 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Martha wrote:
Not once in my life have I ever gotten a clear evaluation. I'm often split between two or even three very different categories evenly or too close to make a difference.   No one would call me indecisive or false. If anything, I am accused of lacking spontaneity and being too honest, brutally so possibly.

The clothing thing? I adore bold bright colors, which is usually an indicator of someone who likes being in the spotlight. I do not. In fact, I detest even having my picture taken. But I'm not at all shy.

So whatever your "problem" us, I'm at least one other person you share it with.

This sounds like me to a "T"! Even to the bold colors. That's all I wear, but I don't want to be in the spotlight, either.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2014 at 6:46pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

CrunchyMom wrote:
SallyT wrote:
(or people just really are more complex than a simple system of types has room to acknowledge!).

This is certainly true. For instance, these 4 types do not correspond neatly with the 4 ancient temperaments, and there is a lot of truth there, too. I am sanguine but a type 4. In terms of Meyers Briggs, Type 4 would always be a J according to the video descriptions, but I am a strong P, which is likely the element of my personality that most borrows from her Type 1.

Honestly these "energy types" don't dig nearly as deeply as other temperament/personality sorters, which is why I think that the emphasis to go with your gut and pick the dominant one is important. I'm not sure that makes sense, but while I appreciate these things for the insights they offer into understanding myself and others (another tool for the arsenal), the unique thing this system is offering from other tools is a physical manifestation of self via clothing or decor. And at the end of the day, that is a pretty superficial thing. It doesn't really need to be deep or all encompassing. For me, it merely narrows my focus and gives me permission to ignore certain fashions that look good on others without overthinking it.

I am grateful, though, for the insights gained into my children. I hate to put labels on those so young, but these are vague enough that I feel I can without limitation, and yet they do help me understand the personalities at work in our home dynamic a bit better.

This is my difficulty, because I want to try to fit these into temperaments, and I can't seem to make them fit. But you are right, they don't apply.

I cannot see my boys that clearly. I see them as a mix of 1 and 4, and 2 and 4.

The description of 2 moving so slowly made me laugh, because one of my sisters and my husband have this tendency to be silent while they are thinking of their answer. Both of them have stories of being at the eye doctor and not answering when asked "which one is better?" because they were thinking about their decision.

And my sister...she was always so slow. And if you told her to hurry, it would make her move even slower!

But I thin that the slowness is only part of the picture, or maybe a "pure 2".

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2014 at 7:18pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I think if you looked at this as what sort of personality your clothes project it would be more useful.

Stick with color me beautiful for which colors to pick

And figure out which clothes work for your actual body.

So even if I'm romantic, a tailored blouse in a softer material with a gauzy scarf would work better for my body type than something ruffly.

And that top might be in black with the scarf in grey/teal/rose.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2014 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I can only see my 2 nd and 3 rd clearly. 1, 4, &5 are still fuzzy. Granted, 4 and 5 are still young, and I am guessing that some of the traits take a little longer to be seen since perhaps they are not childlike or are actively discouraged in children. Noses are not fully developed in little ones, and it takes time for skin to look textured or voices to mature into something raspy.

Getting back to the heart of the theory, I really can relate to feeling more drained in outfits that are further outside my type. It is a fascinating theory to me. The pictures on the blog of the same person wearing all four types in styles and colors that should otherwise be flattering is very telling. They ladies don't look bad, they just look off, and seeing them in their true to type clothing just clicks.

Another realization was understanding that there is a reason I am always drawn to stripes other than my being boring I like having permission to like them and not feeling so comfortable in certain prints. For hears, the fashion advice is that "stripes make you look fat" but I think that it is probably more a matter of your pulling them off by type, not size.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2014 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I have one daughter that can literally wear a gunny sack and make it stunning.

Outfits no one should be able to look good in.. she looks great and you find yourself thinking "cute outfit" instead of "vagabond".

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2014 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Oh, I hate the eye doctor for that very reason!

"Which is better, A or B? 1 or 2? This way? That way? Here? Or here?"

>I don't know! I don't know! What if I get it wrong? I'll fail the eye test!<

Lindsay, I liked those "wear the four types" features, too, though in more than one case, the wrongness of other types for that particular woman, or the absolute rightness of the one that's supposed to be her type, doesn't seem that straightforward. It wasn't really that Anne, for example (the Type 2 Girl), looked actively bad in any of the other outfits -- but then she's so pretty, she probably could look good in anything. In her "type" she seems relaxed and at home in her skin, but the difference isn't as huge as you might expect it to be. She *could* wear any of those other styles if she had to, and nobody would think, "Oh, that poor woman, how terrible she looks." They just might not realize fully how beautiful she could be, but I'm not sure that that's the worst thing that could happen to a person! Still, though, if you could choose not to go through your day looking and feeling "off," who wouldn't?

eta: I think it sounds as though I don't agree with you about the "off"-ness, and I do. I agree that the difference between the "wrong" clothes and the "right" ones isn't a night-and-day, "what were you thinking" vs. "oh how beautiful you are" kind of thing. It's more like "okay" vs. "wow." And while on some days, "okay" sounds pretty good . . . if you could go for "wow" all the time, that would be even better.

It does seem to me that the women who didn't fit the Type 4 profile looked least themselves/more constrained in a Type 4 outfit than in any of the other supposedly "wrong" ones. I'm inclined to buy the assertion that black and white and strong contrasts really don't look good on everyone, even though we tend to think of those as basics, on a level with neutrals. The point that they really aren't neutral is a good one. And the claim that black isn't really slimming is interesting and, to me, kind of miraculous. As I've been heavier in the last few years, I've often thought about how to look good as a not-thin woman . . . and most of the images of "attractive" heavier women have them wearing black. Typical heavier-woman outfit: black top and bottom with a jacket in some strong color, and sleek hair. And . . . I just don't feel right in any of those things, so I had been feeling resigned to frumpiness . . . unless I could totally remake myself by means of some diet that would actually work, in which case, in maybe a year, I might be attractive. But not until then.

It's clear that sleek, structured hair doesn't look good on everyone, which is good news for us wavy/curly/longer-haired types. There's another touchpoint for the aging thing: almost every makeover of older women, which these days of course can mean someone who's 35, involves cutting off two feet of hair and seeing how shorter hair "lifts" her face. "Long hair drags your face down" -- that's the received wisdom. I know that my own hair can definitely get too long. And it doesn't look that good worn up -- again, too severe, I think. I do wear it up some, but those lovely sleek ponytails don't work on me, and having it all upswept . . . again, it just doesn't look as good. I don't feel as pretty. So I do have to keep it trimmed to a length that's not too much hair, which means about six inches below my shoulders, when I'm keeping up with things. But I really don't look good in bobbed hair. Last time I cut my hair shorter, it was like I'd amputated my best feature. I did cut a long bang not long ago, and I love the softness it adds. I'd ponder having some layers cut in around my face (I did the bang myself, but there my ambition to cut my own hair stops). Again, I'm finding it easier to visualize what does and doesn't work on me (regardless of age and weight, and the standard rules that seem to apply to those things) and why.

Jodie, I like what you say about melding what you might already know about your colors with what this program suggests about things like line and drape. I did already have a pretty strong sense of what colors I can wear -- though I have leaned heavily on black as a default mode, and now I'm rethinking that, which does not feel like a deprivation! I like at least the suggestion that I look at other colors -- I haven't worn much purple, for example, but now I am drawn to those dusty/grayed Type 2 shades. They're fairly similar to my Color Me Beautiful palette. I'm not so nuts about the grayed greens, which don't look that great next to my face, but I could see going for those shades in pants and skirts, as a neutral to mix with softer pinks, blues, and purples. I've filled up my "fashion-challenged" Pinterest board with separate pieces that I like in that Type 2 range . . . now I'd like to use Polyvore to experiment with putting outfits together out of those pieces, just to give me some visuals.

And what I do really like is the substitution of words like "soft" and "subtle" for "romantic," which conjures up a specific image that I never thought was me at all: hyper-girly, fussy, not outdoorsy. Bleah. Not me. But a woman could look good in softer lines, drapes, and colors and NOT be that particular image, as Jodie notes. She would just choose the silk or rayon blouse over the poplin, the softer edges over the sharp and structural, the flowing over the crisp -- but she could still look completely like a woman who hikes instead of reading romance novels and eating bonbons. That woman could still smash her own cockroaches or fix her own washing machine. Being soft and fluid in her person does not have to mean being helpless or a shrinking violet. And she doesn't have to be pastel -- she would just wear slightly more muted, grayed versions of red, for example.

So I'm thinking about interpretations of those particular terms, because they seem to apply to me, but you could do that for any category. Leaning toward Type 1 wouldn't necessarily mean that you were "sporty," or "flirtatious," or frivolous . . . it would just tell you that certain movements in line and pattern could work for you, and that a certain lightness of color would be freeing for you. Being Type-3-ish wouldn't mean that you then had to acquire an entire leopardskin wardrobe, just that you had permission to wear bolder, bigger, more textured items that would look incongruous or unfeminine on other people. Being Type-4-ish might mean that your attraction to strong, clear colors wasn't a "look at me!" kind of thing, but a reflection of your clarity of thought. And so on. I do like that these categories lend themselves to a certain open-endedness, even as they seem in some ways too absolute and simplified! Isn't life full of paradoxes . . .

Sally

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 11 2014 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm still getting all those emails, and just got the .pdf file of her book for answering the 4 question survey.

The book isn't much different than what she says in the videos, but a little more expansive and easier for me to digest. I guess I'm less of an audio and visual learner...the written word rules for me. There are no pictures in the book, so the visual aids are all in the video.

Anyway, I can see more clearly that I am definitely a Dominant Type 4, with secondary 2. Type 4 does a lot of the whole picture, synthesizing ideas. That is so true for me. So my questions and research are to sum all the thoughts together.

Not that it mattered too much, because the style is exactly what I do already. I always choose Classic style clothing in bolder colors. I love red, white, black, purple, never pink unless it's fuschia or magenta.

Glad to know I'm comfortable in my own style.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 11 2014 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I have looked st some of the emails, though not all, and I have been thinking that the profiling might have a great deal more to say about lines and style than color, or rather, they put too much emphasis on color in interpreting it, making hard lines. There is no way I would feel comfortsble in zebra print for all that I am a type 4, lol.

Even if I could afford the package for learning more about my type, I wish that it were not so many videos and was more written. I think some visuals sre obviously necessary, but all the different videos are too much sometimes, but I would appreciate knowing more specifics about lines and how they recommend pulling in your secondary type as well as makeup.

Though, I did watch a video about type 4 make up for Spring, and it was blue eye shadow, and I was like, no way!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 11 2014 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm not convinced Zebra print is Type 4. I think it belongs to 3. In this whole list of descriptive words, only one really speaks "zebra" possibility to me:

TYPE 4 BEAUTY PROFILE KEY WORDS
Alluring
Astute
Black and white
Bold
Captivating
Chic
Classic
Clean
Clear
Commanding
Concise
Conservative
Contemporary
Contrasting
Cool
Cultured
Defined
Designer look
Dignified
Diplomatic
Discreet
Distinctive
Distinguished
Dramatic
Elite
Enticing
Exact
Exotic
Extravagant
Extreme
Formal
Impressive
Independent
Lavish
Look of wealth
Majestic
Mesmerizing
Moderate
Modern
Mysterious
Neat
Noble
Notable
Opulent
Poised
Polished
Precise
Professional
Proper
Queenly
Refined
Reflective
Regal
Scintillating
Serene
Serious
Sleek
Smooth
Sophisticated
Stark
Statuesque
Still
Striking
Strong
Stunning
Stylized
Suave
Tailored
Thorough
Tranquil
Vivid
Vogue
Well-structured
Zealous

and that would be "exotic". Maybe "black and white"?

I cannot STAND all the videos. I would never pay to do the course, because while what they say makes sense, I do not like the styles they choose.

That video with the blue eyeshadow is a perfect example. The hairstyles and accessories on all the people, blech. And dyed purple hair is not something I would ever do.

The whole point Carol Tuttle makes is that fashion dictates, and so her "program" doesn't give in to those dictations. And yet, here are the videos to promote limited time blue eye shadow (which I thought went out in the 60s?).

The type 4 woman looked much better before all that stuff on the eyes.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 11 2014 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

What a great list! I feel like the ultimate type 4 is Audrey Hepburn, though Grace Kelly might rank higher if I were a blonde . It is tricky to follow their style as a nursing mom

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2014 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I've wound up feeling the same way, re the videos. After a while they got too grating, and I quit watching.

And yes, although I do like a lot of the Type 2 clothes, on the whole I like the *ideas* more than I like the actual looks. I've had fun making a Pinterest board of clothes and looks I like, keeping the ideas of drape and line in mind. Again, in my case, I mostly like the colors, though I do look good in brighter shades of blue than are assigned to my "type." Seems to me that there would be room for flexibility there, especially if you already know what colors you look and feel good wearing.

I have tended to lean on black a lot as a go-to color, especially in dresses, and the incentive not to wear it is kind of freeing, I think. I don't look especially good in it -- it's just there, and safe, and people think it's arty, so I put it on. It's nice to think outside that box -- I have found myself enjoying my clothes more as I've rethought how to put outfits together. I've done some thrift shopping in the last couple of weeks, because I was short on t-shirts anyway, and I found some fun things in my "type," but mostly I've been playing around with clothes I already had, trying to think more purposefully about putting outfits together, instead of just going, "Clothes, get on my back!"

I think I saw one Type 4 woman wearing a zebra-print scarf. I think the idea wasn't so much "wild animal print" as "black/white contrast." Type 4 can carry off the highest level of pure, bold contrast. I do like that list (though none of it is really me at all!).

Type 2 Key Word List:

blended
careful
classical
comfortable
composed
conscientious
consistent
courtly
delicate
demure
detailed
dignified
diplomatic
dreamy
elegant
ethereal
exacting
exquisite
fastidious
fine
finesse
finished look
flowing
fluid
gentleness
graceful
harmonized
heavenly (Sorry, everyone else! Only I get to be heavenly!)
innocent
intricate
inviting
lavish
lovely
luscious
luxurious
meticulous
modest
muted
mysterious
neat (um, well . . . )
particular
penetrating
picturesque
placid
pleasing
poised
prudent
quaint
queenly
refined
relaxed
retiring
romantic
semi-formal (like a dance?)
sensitive
serene
silky
simple
soft
soothing
suave
subtle
sumptuous
sweet
traditional
warm
well-groomed
wise

I do like this list, and a lot of it feels like me. I think I appreciate all this because I'm the type who can go through life feeling that she *ought* to be more . . . bold, dramatic, certain, git-'er-done, or "fun" . . . and she just isn't any of those things. So she feels boring, or awkward, or wishy-washy, or weak (even as she has a pretty lively interior life). Apparently a lot of women in that course who get identified as Type 2 *hate* it and cry . . . and either they're getting told that they're something they're not, which is a possibility, OR they hate what they already know about themselves, which seems like a shame, but also a likely scenario. Anyway, I like having some positive language attached to attributes I already knew I had -- I think that's my main takeaway here. That, and don't buy the cute crisp poplin dress because it won't feel right.

Sally

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 11 2014 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Odd that type 2 and type 4 have "classical" and "classic". What is the difference?

Some of the type 4 words are not me. I am not modern and never was.

I'm glad you are finding it helpful for your clothes. Nothing like an aha moment to give you a boost, particularly this time of year.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 6:56am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JennGM wrote:
Odd that type 2 and type 4 have "classical" and "classic". What is the difference?

Some of the type 4 words are not me. I am not modern and never was.

I'm glad you are finding it helpful for your clothes. Nothing like an aha moment to give you a boost, particularly this time of year.

Classic might describe the clothing style while classical might be more in the Athenian or Romantic sense?

Finding the words like modern and substituting them with the words from my secondary type is what I would like help doing. The videos I've seen seem to draw pretty hard lines while still acknowledging we have secondary types.

One idea I saw somewhere was using your secondary colors or styles further from your face. This is something I have done in the past, wearing a whimsical skirt with a classic solid top in black or other flattering color. I like gray and have found I can better get away with it if I pair it with red or navy.

While I know I am a 4 and look best in 4 clothing, I was a little sad I wasn't a 2. I like Type 2 clothing, it looks so cozy and romantic, but I *do* look frumpy in it

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I wondered about "classical," too -- "Looks good in drapey Greek-goddess dress?" "Admirer of Cicero?" "Trivium (Fashion) Model of Education?" That term seems less obvious to me than "classic," which I think of in terms of "clothes that never go out of style."

And I know, Jenn, I'm not everything on the Type 2 list, either. I like these lists better than I like a lot of other elements of this program, which tends to become a little rigid after a while, as someone (maybe you!) noted above, just substituting one set of dictates for another. But a long list of terms like these seems to demonstrate that within a broad "type," there can actually be a lot of leeway. A Type 4 could be traditional and Lands-Endsy, OR a lot more edgy, all in the vein of that clarity, stillness, and command which seem like hallmarks of that type.

Interesting that we both get "queenly."

In my own dominant type, there's a lot of possibility beyond the sort of ruffly romantic thing, which isn't me so much (though I did buy a blouse with some soft ruffles on ThredUp, which is my other new favorite thing of the moment). I'm much more the athletic-sandal-wearing outdoor type, even though I'm cowering in the house right now while it's cold out, but not boyish or really athletic enough to be "sporty," which always felt like a conflict to me before. Knowing that flowy, drapey things look better on me helps me gravitate toward soft knits -- t-shirts and tunics with some flow, soft casual dresses and skirts -- that suit my active outdoor inclinations but are still feminine.

Lindsay, I can see your frustration as a nursing mom, if even your top-skirt combinations involve wanting your shirttails tucked in, for that clean, classic look. The way nursing babies tend to undress and dishevel you is a challenge for anyone, but especially so, I imagine, if you feel best when everything's orderly and sleek.

Sally

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

After I lost my waistline having babies, I do not tuck in too often. Sad, but true.

Isomers of the color choices I do not understand. I guess, like you say, Sally, there is a lot of leeway. Going with the "Color Me Beautiful" winter palette which suits my complexion, orange and yellows, with those undertones Do not look good on me at all, and yet there are videos talking about orange lipstick!!! Yuck.

My boys know I hate pink and orange for my wardrobe, mainly like it on other people or how it's found in nature.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Have you looked at clothes from Athleta, Sally? I used to get the catalog in the mail, and while it doesn't suit me and much of it is immodest, I recall some options of theirs that would work for a sporty Type 2.

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I think I have seen them, Lindsay -- though it's hard to remember. Many, many catalogs have crossed our threshold in my time!

I do look a lot at dresses and skirts from companies like Patagonia, many of which are too short, too bare up top, or too . . . made for a physique which is not mine, let us say. I'm natural and outdoorsy, but not athletic, and I'm increasingly obviously not athletic as I age! But some of the outdoor-company women's clothes are nice. There's a company called Title 9 that makes some fun things as well, though I've never bought from them. I'll have to look again at Athleta. I'm not opposed to wearing shorts, and I do sometimes in the summer, but more and more I prefer cool, comfortable dresses.

One thing I've been doing is compiling a mental list of fabrics I most like to wear: cotton knits, rayon, linen, silk, microfibers for shirts and dresses, the above plus twill or denim for skirts/trousers. And I'm giving myself permission to buy no more button-up shirts with collars (unless the collar is very flat, rounded, shawl-type, or otherwise not standing up on my neck). They look nice on other people, but not on me. All of this should simplify my next trip to Goodwill!

Item I can't get enough of: long, open, "swing" or "waterfall"-style cardigans. I have several; I would have a million if I could! I have dresses I love, skirts and tops I love, trousers I love -- but the right cardigan really makes it for me, especially in the cold weather (though I do have one lightweight cotton-knit open cardigan that I wore all last summer, too).

I'd be interested to know what fabrics feel good to other people -- what kind of feel do you gravitate towards? And what's your most dependable item of clothing, above and beyond the obvious basics (dress, skirt, shirt, pants, etc) -- the thing that most "makes" an outfit for you?

Sally

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Oh, yeah, and orange lipstick? Noooooo thanks. Ditto the blue eyeshadow. Maybe in Utah, where things get funky anyway . . .

For me, though, the Type 2 thing does explain why I've been uncomfortable in most lipstick colors -- any level of contrast beyond my natural lip color just feels wrong. Mostly I don't wear makeup, though I probably should -- my philosophy these days is that if I don't wear makeup, then when I show up at the breakfast table not wearing it, my real face doesn't come as such a shock. But when I do wear makeup, I tend to use BB Cream for concealer/foundation, then subtle gray eyeshadow (actually, I do have some blue, but I don't do the big 70s blue-eyeshadow thing, just very minimal eyelining), mascara, a little blush -- and Burts Bees colorless lip balm, because lipstick is just too much! Now I feel a little vindicated about that.

Sally

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

SallyT wrote:
Item I can't get enough of: long, open, "swing" or "waterfall"-style cardigans. I have several; I would have a million if I could! I have dresses I love, skirts and tops I love, trousers I love -- but the right cardigan really makes it for me, especially in the cold weather (though I do have one lightweight cotton-knit open cardigan that I wore all last summer, too).

I'd be interested to know what fabrics feel good to other people -- what kind of feel do you gravitate towards? And what's your most dependable item of clothing, above and beyond the obvious basics (dress, skirt, shirt, pants, etc) -- the thing that most "makes" an outfit for you?

This is where I can see my Type 2 coming through. I'm all about comfortable, breathable fabrics. I do not like manmade fibers like polyester and acrylic. I also do not handle animal fibers well, they make me itchy.

So I'm all about cotton, linen or silk, or rayon in small amounts. I want it to breathable and comfortable (and no static cling). But I tend to like woven materials over knitted, except for some shirts. I like more structure.

Styles and types of clothing I'm drawn to classic looks, feminine Brooks Brothers. The store of choice for years has been Talbots, although they went a little more modern and funky, so I went for a while without finding anything to wear.

Button down shirts I love. Traditional khaki or black slacks. I love skirts, but lately I haven't found good shirts (i.e., not tucked) that go well with skirts, so I've been wearing them less. (also weight fluctuating I haven't bought much lately). White button down shirts are a staple all year round.

Cardigans, traditional button down cotton. Love them. I have a cabled one I've worn for years -- I would love to figure out a knitting pattern to make a few in a similar style.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

SallyT wrote:
Oh, yeah, and orange lipstick? Noooooo thanks. Ditto the blue eyeshadow. Maybe in Utah, where things get funky anyway . . .

For me, though, the Type 2 thing does explain why I've been uncomfortable in most lipstick colors -- any level of contrast beyond my natural lip color just feels wrong. Mostly I don't wear makeup, though I probably should -- my philosophy these days is that if I don't wear makeup, then when I show up at the breakfast table not wearing it, my real face doesn't come as such a shock. But when I do wear makeup, I tend to use BB Cream for concealer/foundation, then subtle gray eyeshadow (actually, I do have some blue, but I don't do the big 70s blue-eyeshadow thing, just very minimal eyelining), mascara, a little blush -- and Burts Bees colorless lip balm, because lipstick is just too much! Now I feel a little vindicated about that.

Sally

I'm a minimalist in makeup, also. Sometimes foundation, but it's blush, mascara and lip gloss.

I've been wearing the same colored gloss/almost lipstick since 8th grade, but it gives good color. I don't like the feel or taste of lipstick (again, all about comfort).

If I'm wearing the right colors, my lips have a good color without a person saying "Love that color lipstick."

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version