Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: What Type of Mother are You? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 21 2006 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

lapazfarm wrote:
I got INTP, love of learning.

Must be the standard science type, Theresa!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: May 21 2006 at 11:28pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Depending on how I look at it, I am either

ESTJ The "How To" Mother (and yes, I think my laid-back dh probably thinks to himself periodically that I'm a bit OCD too, Martha! )

Or ISTJ The "Responsibility" Mother.

The interesting thing is that for every personality test I've ever taken, I've come up extraverted. I always thought that was my natural inclination. But when I re-read the descriptions for introverted and extraverted, I found that the introverted description seemed to ring more true for me at this point in my life.

Here is what I am now pondering:
Has homeschooling possibly made me more introverted as I am getting older? Or maybe it's not the homeschooling that has done it, but the being a mom of a larger family? Maybe I crave solitude because I am surrounded by a crowd all day? I noticed that more people who answered this thread seem to be introverted than extraverted. Interesting . . . .

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 22 2006 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

teachingmom wrote:
The interesting thing is that for every personality test I've ever taken, I've come up extraverted. I always thought that was my natural inclination. But when I re-read the descriptions for introverted and extraverted, I found that the introverted description seemed to ring more true for me at this point in my life.

I don't have an answer, Irene, but I wanted to chime in and say that the only answer I'm really sure and don't have to think about twice is am I extraverted or introverted? It's always Intoverted!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 22 2006 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

aussieannie wrote:
I am new here and have yet to interact with others - hope you don't mind me joining in on this!

I'm glad you did! Jump on in! I'm enjoying all your contributions.

How many from Aussie do we have now? I know Erin and Leonie are regulars on the board....

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 22 2006 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

teachingmom wrote:
Has homeschooling possibly made me more introverted as I am getting older? Or maybe it's not the homeschooling that has done it, but the being a mom of a larger family? Maybe I crave solitude because I am surrounded by a crowd all day? I noticed that more people who answered this thread seem to be introverted than extraverted. Interesting . . . .

I thought exactly the same thing, Irene. When I look at INTJ, that sounds like me, too. I'm guessing that I'm naturally extroverted (gain energy from being with others more than from solitude) but am currently getting more than my fill of energy from others! Thinking a bit more...when I was a child, I was considered "shy." I think that I still needed energy from others but often I was receiving too much negative, unhealthy energy which over-loaded me.
Curious!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2006 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote Willa

Introverts are supposed to be rare in the population (25%) yet there is a preponderance of them on the thread

Is this because a larger proportion of introverts are drawn to 4real style learning?

Or because a larger proportion of introverts like to take personality tests and mention the results to their own personal cyber-space corner?

Or is it just too small a sample to have much substance (probably)?

Anyway, I thought it was interesting.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2006 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

WJFR wrote:

Is this because a larger proportion of introverts are drawn to 4real style learning?

I think a large proportion of introverts are drawn to the Internet period. It's a way we can communicate inside our comfort zone.

But there's no denying that even extroverts use the Internet form of communication in abundance.

I'm thinking there's a bit of introvert in everyone. We all need our space at some point or other.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 22 2006 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

WJFR wrote:
Introverts are supposed to be rare in the population (25%) yet there is a preponderance of them on the thread

Or because a larger proportion of introverts like to take personality tests and mention the results to their own personal cyber-space corner?

Or is it just too small a sample to have much substance (probably)?

Anyway, I thought it was interesting.
It is interesting. Would it be because many introverts read so much, find information by reading, not necessarily talking?

And does homeschooling fit into an introvert's life more easily? I like being home...being out drains my energy. I'm not going to stay in a cocoon, but wanting to be home helps to school at home. Having more extrovert personality it seems it would be hard to stay at home and get work done...unless you take different approaches to vary the routine and atmosphere and people.

Too much generalizing?

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2006 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

I took the quiz the first time and got INFP and then the 2nd time I got INFJ. The P and J varies with me, I guess. However, it sounds like P's are more go with the flow and J's are more uptight about routines and schedules, which is more me. It said that P's have a hard time keeping order, which is also me, BUT it drives me crazy when its not orderly, whereas a P might blow it off, right?

Its great to hear about everyone.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: May 22 2006 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Angie Mc wrote:
I thought exactly the same thing, Irene. When I look at INTJ, that sounds like me, too. I'm guessing that I'm naturally extroverted (gain energy from being with others more than from solitude) but am currently getting more than my fill of energy from others!   

I think, like you Angie, that I am naturally an extravert after all. I do gain energy from being with others, although "down time" by myself is what is more and more precious these days.

An example would be an event that dh and I attended last Friday night. It was a volunteer appreciation thing at our parish. I said something last week about looking forward to it, and dh looked at me incredulously and said, "You are?"

An evening out with other adults from our parish -- some of them good friends, some of them acquaintances, and some total strangers -- sounded fun to me. To dh, who is a true introvert (although he can come across as gregarious and outgoing in a crowd), the evening sounded like hard work!

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2006 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

I was ISFP, The "Giving" Mother. I looked at all the possiblities and I didn't see The "Yelling" Mother listed, which would probably be a more accurate description for me Must be Monday.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 22 2006 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I'm finding this very interesting that many of you feel that your introverted.

My dh and friends all definately believe that I am an extrovert. In many ways I am, I enjoy talking on the phone to friends, although I have cut down there, I guess I don't need to as much with all of you to 'chat' to. My children were just telling me I'm always the first to greet new people. I guess because I know how it feels to know no-one.

Yet I was a late bloomer, in primary school I was shy and had no friends, but in high school I blossomed. So although I often appear to be quite extroverted I also enjoy my own company, and I'm finding as my children are getting older,or is it me, I'm quite content with their company. I don't need the stimulation of others.

So can't you be both?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Mare
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 22 2006 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote Mare

Well, this quiz pegged me. INTJ —The “Individual Integrity” Mother - “My kids are better off arguing their own point of view than telling me, ‘But everyone else is doing it.’”

This was fun!

Back to Top View Mare's Profile Search for other posts by Mare

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 22 2006 at 10:00pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

The heart to heart mother for me (ENFJ)

Regarding the Introvert vs Extrovert, I wonder if we could look at it as a continuum with true Introverts and Extraverts on the extremes. The closer you are to the middle of the continuum the more traits of both sides you are going to find on yourself.

I always have considered myself and extravert- I get energy from others and I do get depressed and down when I spend too much on my own. I also have wondered if at different times or seasons of your life your circumstances can mask your basic tendency. For myself after seven years of homeschooling and 13 years of motherhood, I feel more and more of an introvert. I find myself being drained by others instead of energized. I feel more reflective and less impulsive. I feel that my reaction time has increased. But I think that my basic tendency is to be an extrovert.

Natalia

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 22 2006 at 11:23pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

LisaD wrote:
I was ISFP, The "Giving" Mother. I looked at all the possiblities and I didn't see The "Yelling" Mother listed, which would probably be a more accurate description for me Must be Monday.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 23 2006 at 12:09am | IP Logged Quote Christine

I have been trying to get back to this post, but due to a busy weekend, nausea and a clingy son, I haven't been able to do so until now. I had a hard time choosing between extavert and intravert, but I finally decided that in this instance, the intravert description fit me better. I asked my husband and he said that both descriptions applied to me. I do enjoy doing things and am on a high for several days after doing them.

Someone asked about the validity of these tests. I took this one for fun and don't necessarily take the results seriously.

Someone else asked how the Temperament God gave You compares to this test. I found the book to be of more value. It focuses on the four main temperaments: choleric, sanguine, melancholic, and phlegmatic. More information on the temperaments can be found on Angelicum Academy's website. They have Fr. Conrad Hock's The Four Temperaments.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Alcat
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 23 2006 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote Alcat

LisaD wrote:

Oh Lisa, I got the same thing and thought the EXACT same thing!!!    I just keep telling myself that some day I won't be the mean old yelling mommy

A side note, I go through phases of being an introvert and an extrovert. Lately I have been very introverted even with my dc. Right now I'm even finding it hard to give physical affection; why is that? I feel sooo guilty.
This too shall pass?

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 23 2006 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Christine wrote:
I have been trying to get back to this post, but due to a busy weekend, nausea and a clingy son, I haven't been able to do so until now. I had a hard time choosing between extavert and intravert, but I finally decided that in this instance, the intravert description fit me better. I asked my husband and he said that both descriptions applied to me. I do enjoy doing things and am on a high for several days after doing them.

Someone asked about the validity of these tests. I took this one for fun and don't necessarily take the results seriously.

I find if my "batteries are charged" I look forward to events. I'm chatty, friendly. But if I haven't gotten enough down time, or physically or emotionally down, I can't enjoy events as much. I know I'm an introvert, but it doesn't mean that I can't enjoy myself with others or at functions. I do look forward to them...but I also look forward to going home!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 23 2006 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Christine wrote:

Someone else asked how the Temperament God gave You compares to this test. I found the book to be of more value. It focuses on the four main temperaments: choleric, sanguine, melancholic, and phlegmatic. More information on the temperaments can be found on Angelicum Academy's website. They have Fr. Conrad Hock's The Four Temperaments.

Well, this Mothering Style quiz is merely a small piece of the Kiersey or Myers-Briggs test and just applying the results in motherhood. These are valid tests...but since there were such few questions, we're not able to really go in depth and have a true knowledge of oneself. I think the book would go into further detail. Anyone read it?

Another book to read is David Kiersey's "Please Understand Me." Willa wrote about it in her blog the other day, too.

The Catholic approach to temperaments is a bit different...but both are valid. The other temperament tests were originally used to find one's career that suits them. Bennett and Hock's (and others) with the religious approach is finding your temperament, identifying your faults and strong points and using it to grow in the spiritual life.

The Bennetts' strength was to help you identify your child's temperament and how to interact with your own.

I think all these tests can be great tools to know oneself...as long as it's not too much navel gazing.

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 23 2006 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote Willa

JennGM wrote:
I think all these tests can be great tools to know oneself...as long as it's not too much navel gazing.

When's it too much?    When you fill out questionnaires for everyone in your family? At 1 am?

Seriously, the question on my mind is: Given that I end up with a particular profile, how much am I supposed to work on the weak parts as opposed to developing the strong parts? Any ideas on what the Church says about this, Jenn or anyone else?    Is the ideal to: mortify preferences, balance them out by consciously bringing in the other aspect, or make them into something beautiful for GOd? Or a combination?

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version