Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Books for older boys Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 6:55am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Here is another thread Series That Boys Love

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

The series that starts with Lost In Peter's Tomb is a great one, if your 11 yo has not read them. They are not overly long and have shortish chapters but are full of interesting church history and detail. I really enjoyed reading these aloud a couple of years ago.

Bank Robbery! looks good, also- though I have not read it.
The Catholic Child carries both and frequently has free shipping or 10-15% off your order.

Bush Boys Adventure Series is another one to look into if you haven't already.

The J.M. Cremps catalog always has a good selection of books to look into as well.

Oh- The Tales of the RAF series might be great for the 11 yo.
Amazon has these. They are very interesting and not overly long- might be a good match.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Parker Family National Park series

These are adventure/mystery books. I love the nature/geography/history in the them. Very boy friendly

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

JodieLyn wrote:
Hitting this in bits and pieces and out of order

The Ranger's apprentice

Hi Jodie, found all the Ranger's at my library, the covers are all pretty graphic, are they seriously violent or similar to Tolkein's style...these are totally new to us as my dd never read any of them, but did read Tolkein.
Thx.

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Similiar to Tolkein, at least through the first 7 or so. I think that's as many as were out when my daughter read them (maybe a couple more that we couldn't get yet at the library).

I'm hoping to get my 15 yr old to try them out. His decoding skills are lower than his comprehension so I'm hoping these would be easy enough (his sister read them younger) while still being enjoyable (I enjoyed them)

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Erin wrote:
'Tis a great list

adding, Fantasy for boys (more info here Apologies if some already mentioned.

Legacy of the Stone Harp - Mark Sebanc & James G Anderson (Catholic authors)
Dragons in Our Midst - Bryan Davis (Christian author)
Inheritance Cycle - Christopher Paolini
Bran Hambric- Kaleb Nation
Chronicles of Narnia - C S Lewis
Shadow Thief- Alexandra Ardonetto
Ranger's Apprentice - John Flanagan (huge family favourite )

Boy Books (more info here) Probably more for your ds11, though ds 15 could still enjoy them as a lighter read.

Battle Boys - Charlie Carter (might be too young for your 11yr old but at that age my boy was a later reader)
Encyclopedia Brown - Donald Sobol
Three Investigators- Robert Arthur Jnr
Hardy Boys - Franklin W Dixon
Biggles - Captain WE Johns
Redwall - Brian Jacques
Books of Ember- Jeanne DuPrau
Mysterious Benedict Society - Trenton Lee Stewart
Alex Rider Adventures - Anthony Horowitz

Have read many in the second set, but so many other great ones here that we haven't seen/read yet!

Thank you!!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

JodieLyn wrote:
Similiar to Tolkein, at least through the first 7 or so. I think that's as many as were out when my daughter read them (maybe a couple more that we couldn't get yet at the library).

I'm hoping to get my 15 yr old to try them out. His decoding skills are lower than his comprehension so I'm hoping these would be easy enough (his sister read them younger) while still being enjoyable (I enjoyed them)

Cool, they sound good. We're trying to expand our reading across the genres, myself included, so maybe I'll read them too

Thanks.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Charlotte recently recommended Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library. My 10 year old read it, and I enjoyed it. I'm not usually a reader of the latest books, so I was pleasantly surprised. The "bad" guys get punished and the good guys are rewarded.

The book will inspire to read more books. A Bibliophile's dream!

I have been pleased with Charlotte's book reviews, and her recent non-fiction pick looks intriguing.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Meredith wrote:
found all the Ranger's at my library, the covers are all pretty graphic, are they seriously violent or similar to Tolkein's style...these are totally new to us as my dd never read any of them, but did read Tolkein.

Meredith
The covers they released in America are totally different to the ones in Australia, for some reason they thought the more graphic covers would be more appealing. I far prefer the first release covers. I probably would never have picked up the books with the graphic covers.

They are adventure books, totally gripping and not overly violent, sure there are battles but I'd say the Rewall books are more descriptive of the battles than the RA. Wouldn't even say they are Tolkeinish as there is not that fantasy element.

Currently my dd12 is reading them and she is so sensitive she won't even read mystery books because they are too scary.    Generally her genre is safe animal books (and fluff )

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

MaryM wrote:
Don't have time to add much right now - but just wanted to say - SO GOOD TO SEE YOU, MEREDITH!!!

You guys are really so well read - it is going to be hard to come up with much that is new...

Thank you Mary, it's like a breath of fresh air, just popping in here, you guys are great!!!

xxoo

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Erin wrote:

Meredith
The covers they released in America are totally different to the ones in Australia, for some reason they thought the more graphic covers would be more appealing. I far prefer the first release covers. I probably would never have picked up the books with the graphic covers.

They are adventure books, totally gripping and not overly violent, sure there are battles but I'd say the Rewall books are more descriptive of the battles than the RA. Wouldn't even say they are Tolkeinish as there is not that fantasy element.

Currently my dd12 is reading them and she is so sensitive she won't even read mystery books because they are too scary.    Generally her genre is safe animal books (and fluff )

Well, that's disappointing isn't it. Leave to us graphic Americans, eh I have the first one on hold, so we'll see how it flies Thanks for your blog links too, I enjoyed visiting again

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2013 at 7:36pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

JennGM wrote:
Charlotte recently recommended Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library. My 10 year old read it, and I enjoyed it. I'm not usually a reader of the latest books, so I was pleasantly surprised. The "bad" guys get punished and the good guys are rewarded.

The book will inspire to read more books. A Bibliophile's dream!

I have been pleased with Charlotte's book reviews, and her recent non-fiction pick looks intriguing.

Thank you Jenn, I look forward to checking out what she has, we LOVE nonfiction here too (or at least I do)

Hugs,
Meredith

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 06 2013 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Heads up. I believe I may have recommended Percy Jackson recently in this thread (or perhaps it was elsewhere), anyhow thanks to a reader here it was brought to my attention that the homosexual agenda has crept into the latest book House of Hades

Nico admits he has a crush on Percy Jackson. Sadly my ds14 had already read the book before I found out. He tells me there were a 'couple of parts that were strange' we've turned it all into a learning opportunity. But this social engineering is so strong today. Anyhow thanks our reader for alerting me, it takes a village. We always have to be alert. Disappointing.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 06 2013 at 2:53pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Disappointing but you have to be very very careful with sci-fi/fantasy as a genre for those type of things.

We've only gotten the first set of 5. Is this the second set?

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version