Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: This scares me~ re: The DaVinci Code... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 17 2006 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

This is frightening to me! These actors and the media can and I believe will do quite a bit of damage to our Church.
Newsbusters article

Lord, have mercy on us. I am not feeling good about this movie, OR the affects of it.

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2006 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Whenever I see things like this I just remember a quote tht Mom always says: "the gates of Hell shall not prevail". So no matter how this all shakes out, my Church will still prevail.....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2006 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Yes Mary, so true! I often think that as well, *The Gates of Hell will not prevail against it!* Praise the Lord, HE is our Hope!!!

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2006 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Oh, boy! rally the troops, huh?
I agree with Mary. The Church will prevail, God will prevail, good will prevail.

We cannot act in fear. We must stand strong and go out in faith.

The church has had some excellent things happening lately. I see it every time the media shows the young people at World Youth Day.

It's all a media circus to discourage us.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2006 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Thank you for reminding us what I so often forget "Jesus I Trust In You"!

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 17 2006 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

"Be not afraid!"

If it's any consolation, it sounds like the movie itself will crash and burn...Barbara Nicolosi has a few posts showing how critics are really panning the movie...actually laughing at it.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2006 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

TracyQ wrote:
This is frightening to me! These actors and the media can and I believe will do quite a bit of damage to our Church.

I don't trust the media at all, but it looks like the bad movie reviews are rolling in. And here the cynic in me was expecting only great reviews from them...

Rotten Tomatoes links to reviews

Look under "Cream of the Crop" to see awful reviews from such liberal sources as The Hollywood Reporter and Variety!

"An oppressively talky film that isn't exactly dull, but comes as close to it as one could imagine with such provocative material."
-- Todd McCarthy, VARIETY

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2006 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Jen L. wrote:
TracyQ wrote:

I don't trust the media at all, but it looks like the bad movie reviews are rolling in. And here the cynic in me was expecting only great reviews from them...

Rotten Tomatoes links to reviews

Look under "Cream of the Crop" to see awful reviews from such liberal sources as The Hollywood Reporter and Variety!

"An oppressively talky film that isn't exactly dull, but comes as close to it as one could imagine with such provocative material."
-- Todd McCarthy, VARIETY

Jen -- I agree with you -- I don't trust the media. It will be interesting to see how they handle the bad reviews; after all, movies have won Academies with worse reviews than these!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

mumofsix
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2006 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote mumofsix

Take heart, Opus Dei is getting lots of interested inquirers!

The film has been panned by critics.

Jane.
Back to Top View mumofsix's Profile Search for other posts by mumofsix

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2006 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Not to be a complete downer...I agree the Church will prevail..but the book was so poorly written and not suspenseful yet is still on best seller lists all over the world! I read so many mystery novels and this one was a complete joke and waste of time. Ugh!

Again, I don't mean to be negative but just wary since the book has sold 40 million copies. I wonder how the hype is going in Paris??

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2006 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

I'm glad to see the reviews beginning to come in, even from the liberal ones are bad, bad, bad! Yay!

I know that God will prevail, and I'm not in despair, but there are some days I just feel like I'm from another planet! I suppose that's not necessarily a bad thing.

God WILL bring good from bad, He can, and He will. There are already good discussions happening from people that may not have even considered God before, so that's a great thing! And maybe this will make some Catholics want to truly delve into their faith more deeply as well.

But there can be much bad too... people who are very vulnerable can be swayed. We do have to put all of our trust in God though, and pray, pray, pray!   

I just want to be sure for me that I'm available to serve the Lord to use me in this if He needs me. We are His servants, and we are who He uses to bring the good from the bad, so I just want to be sure I'm seeking His will to do what He wants in this situation.

I know I was just so upset when I read that article. To say HIS WORD should be labeled fiction just really irked me, and upset me. I can't stand when God is treated like that! I guess I should be used to it by now, but I never get used to it!

Thanks for talking this through with me, it's been a huge help to calm down my upset heart.

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2006 at 8:55pm | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

This is a copy and paste from the CNN, Entertainment Weekly movie reiview.
This is the last paragraph of a rotten review. It is almost as if they are saying, lousy movie, good book , but the Church is lousier? If I am reading this wrong, please correct me.
The movie must be pretty bad for them to write such a review. My daughter was in NYCity earlier this week and said advertising was "everywhere". We get to avoid the hype here ( fairly rural area, little television viewing home) -thankfully--but occasionally things, such as this review, and the rabid hype and negativity against our Church overwhelms me.

"As a novel, "The Da Vinci Code" has a resonance that lingers. It may be less history than hokum, but it's a searching product of the feminist era, when even many true believers have grown weary of the church as an instrument of moral reprimand and male dominion. The film is faithful enough, but it's hard to imagine it making many converts."

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2006 at 5:24am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

lilac hill wrote:

"As a novel, "The Da Vinci Code" has a resonance that lingers. It may be less history than hokum, but it's a searching product of the feminist era, when even many true believers have grown weary of the church as an instrument of moral reprimand and male dominion. The film is faithful enough, but it's hard to imagine it making many converts."

Viv,

I think you're reading this very right. Basically, they're saying that the "even the faithful are turning away from the Church because of the Church's male domination and rules -- so don't blame the DVC". Now, that's hokum!

I've seen the various reviews and it amazes me that these film critics praise the book -- outstanding, blockbuster, riveting, etc -- and while criticizing Howard and Hanks for not quite cutting it. Maybe that's why they're FILM critics and not book critics

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version