Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: HOOT and owls Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
abcmommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 18 2006 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote abcmommy

Well, our family also strives to be a team, but I think any family with an athoritative set of parents will at some point see an us vs them mentality.

Even if its as simple as "us" not wanting a dog and "them" wishing for one. I think its basic human (family?) nature and why kids enjoy some hyperbolic silliness in books.
Back to Top View abcmommy's Profile Search for other posts by abcmommy

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2006 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

MaryM wrote:
Since you said you could hear an owl in your area - you could go on an owl hunt. Look for the tell-tale pellets and whitewash around base of trees. It indicates a favorite roost.

I have no idea if what we are seeing on our one spruce and many pines is from owls, but there is a strange white-ish goo that has formed in certain areas on the trees, right around branch stubs, or perches. This could be from squirrels or birds, I'm not sure. We haven't found any owl pellets, although we haven't really been looking. We just came in from taking pictures of this strange stuff and I will post them on my blog later.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Donna
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2006 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote Donna

MaryM wrote:
The "wild" pellets were more interesting to dissect because they had more varied contents. So if you are lucky enough to find some that's great.

So true.
We've ordered owl pellets before and have had lots of fun dissecting them. But...two weeks ago we found a "wild" pellet on the trail we were hiking. We dissected it right there. It was soooo cool.

Jacob, Sam, and Regina with God
Grandbabies Leigha and Elsie

Moments Like These

Back to Top View Donna's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Visit Donna's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2006 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Dawn wrote:
I have no idea if what we are seeing on our one spruce and many pines is from owls, but there is a strange white-ish goo that has formed in certain areas on the trees, right around branch stubs, or perches. This could be from squirrels or birds, I'm not sure. We haven't found any owl pellets, although we haven't really been looking. We just came in from taking pictures of this strange stuff and I will post them on my blog later.

I just posted the goo pictures. Any ideas?

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 18 2006 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Looks like sap to me, especially as it is coming out of wounded places on the tree. Is it sticky?

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 18 2006 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Donna wrote:
two weeks ago we found a "wild" pellet on the trail we were hiking. We dissected it right there. It was soooo cool.

We love wild pellets. Cool stuff like shrew teeth are just not found in the boxed kind!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2006 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

MacBeth wrote:
Looks like sap to me, especially as it is coming out of wounded places on the tree. Is it sticky?

Oh, MacBeth, I have come such a long way. I just read your reply and went directly outside, dragged stacked lawn chair under the closest tree, got myself up there and reached up to where I could touch some of this stuff ... it is, I think, as you suggested, definitely sap. It is not sticky but kind of spongy to the touch and my finger smelled like sap afterward. So much for owls!

Thanks for your help; I will update my post soon.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 03 2006 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

abcmommy wrote:
I'm pretty sure my 5 yo is familiar with mooning, so if that is the only objectionable element we are totally going to read and see this.

FWIW they left the mooning part out of the movie (we just saw it yesterday). I thought it was pretty good. The Florida scenery was just breathtaking.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2006 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

One more thing! I was looking through some piles of stuff this morning and found the educator guide I received in the mail just before Hoot was released. It is geared toward grades 6-8 and there are some interesting ideas and activities. I particularly like the page that compares Mullet Fingers with Thoreau! I think I will plan a field trip to Walden Woods in the near future (haven't been in years). And this all ties in nicely with the biographies of naturalists thread.

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2006 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Thanks to Theresa on the Nature Freebies thread, I found the neatest Rock Owls at the San Diego Zoo website and I immediately thought of HOOT and the little Burrowing Owls. If I made these I think I'd just have to put them in the garden beside a homemade burrow!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2006 at 2:33pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Oh, those are cute!!!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2006 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

marihalojen wrote:
Thanks to Theresa on the Nature Freebies thread, I found the neatest Rock Owls at the San Diego Zoo website and I immediately thought of HOOT and the little Burrowing Owls. If I made these I think I'd just have to put them in the garden beside a homemade burrow!

Thank you, Jennifer (and Theresa)! I just printed out the webpage so we can make these little guys. HOOT really has us going down all kinds of fun rabbit trails!

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 23 2006 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

We haven't read the book or seen the movie yet, but in reading a preview it sounded very much like The Owl in the Shower, which we read last year. is Hoot a copycat of that, or completely different?
Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version