Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Bear Hunt Question Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 12 2006 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

We've been reading We're Going On A Bear Hunt. The inside page says "Retold by Michael Rosen."

Retold? What's the original story? Is there another book that predates this one? Does anyone know? This bothers me every time I open up the book.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2006 at 1:41pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

Jenn,

That is one of our favorite books for little children. Actually, even my 7 and 8 year olds still like it.
I may be wrong, but I always assumed that it was a retelling of the song. I first learned this story as a song in Music class and then at camp. We used to sing, "I'm going on a bear hunt. I'm not scared. Got my gun by my side..." If I remember correctly, there was a clapping rhythm that went along with the song.

There's a slightly different version of it on this website, if you scroll down.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 12 2006 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Christine wrote:
Jenn,

That is one of our favorite books for little children. Actually, even my 7 and 8 year olds still like it.
I may be wrong, but I always assumed that it was a retelling of the song. I first learned this story as a song in Music class and then at camp. We used to sing, "I'm going on a bear hunt. I'm not scared. Got my gun by my side..." If I remember correctly, there was a clapping rhythm that went along with the song.

There's a slightly different version of it on this website, if you scroll down.

Aha! I didn't know this song. Thanks for clearing the mystery for me. I'll keep my eyes out to find the music for this. Sounds like fun.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: May 12 2006 at 11:42pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I just have to say, Jenn, that this is one of my very favorite books for toddlers! It's one I can read again and again without getting tired of it. I love the illustrations.

But, as dh tells my older kids whenever he reads this to our toddler, "What kind of a dumb dad would take his entire family on a bear hunt without a gun?!"

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2006 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Oh, we loved this book too! Can't wait for our new little babe to be old enough to enjoy it.

A couple of years ago we managed to get a copy in French from the library. That was also a hit ... so much so I can still quote it (thought not too sure of the spelling!)

Nous allons a la chasse a l'urs,
Nous allons en attraper un tres gros.
Quelle belle journee!
Rien ne nous affraye!

Amazing the things you learn when you are homeschooling. All that useful information that could have stuck in my brain ... and I end up with toddler books in French

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version