Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Wednesday Shout Out! Orange Monkey Bread Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 22 2013 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

As Devin's wedding draws closer, I will have less and less to say about anything else!

This past Sunday, Devin and I threw a bridal shower for her maid-of-honor, Eileen (yes, they are each other's maid's-of-honor and marrying 2 weeks apart.) It was a wonderful success!

My friend, who hosted Devin's bridal shower, made lovely orange rolls to serve at Devin's brunch. I loved them but knew I didn't have time to master them before Eileen's shower. So I got creative and cobbled together this recipe:

Orange Monkey Bread

Inspired by Pioneer Woman and a few other recipes with Rhodes dinner rolls.

Mix 1 cup sugar and the rind of 2 oranges in a gallon ziplock. Cut 24 frozen Rhodes rolls in half and place in bag. As rolls thaw, coating will stick. Melt 1 stick of butter in microwave. Add corn syrup ~ 1 cup. Add vanilla. Spray bundt pan with Pam. Pour in roll mixture. Cover with butter syrup mixture. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise overnight, ~ 6 hours depending on how warm the temps. Bake at 350 for 25 - 30 minutes. Let rest on rack for 10 minutes (no longer) then turn onto plate.

How are you all doing? Anything new? Any celebrating in summer recipes to share?

Have a sweet week, friends!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 22 2013 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Summer???? got up this morning to freezing temps (got down to 26* overnight). Gonna cook a pot of pinto beans for dinner today. Nice and warm and will heat up the house cooking them inside.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 23 2013 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote Willa

My daughter got married the day before Pentecost!

A few pictures on my blog

It couldn't have gone much better. Everything was beautiful. The chapel is at Thomas Aquinas College from which she just graduated the week before.

Grace filled days for our family, indeed.

In other, much less significant news, I've done a make-over of our house.   We have BIG central spaces and I tried to subdivide into smaller room-sized areas. So now I finally have a devoted schoolroom, even if it's about a quarter of a much bigger loft space. Even if we keep doing our homeschooling all over the house, it's nice to have that set-aside space.   I will try to post some pictures in the future.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 29 2013 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I'm bumping last week's Shout Out because all I have to add this week is

10 days to the wedding   

And...if you haven't stopped over at Willa's blog to see the pictures of her beautiful daughter's wedding, DO!

Speaking of weather, Jodie, the 10 day forecast has us hitting 106 on the wedding day    . Can you all send up a prayer that the temps drop for our big day? Thanks!

Oh, and please do try the Orange Monkey Bread    .

And let us know how your week is going!

Have a blessed week!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 29 2013 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Yes, Angie, bumping the existing Wednesday thread is a a very good choice for economy of time. I have been thinking of you these last weeks as the wedding approaches. Praying it all the last details go smoothly and the preparation time is filled with much joy and not stress.

It is so amazing to think of the weddings this year - so many from families connected to this bulletin board/Catholic homeschool community through the years. Can it really be that the children really are grown up...?? I can't believe it.

Our August wedding is so much different than these two - being mother of the groom and 1000 miles away from wedding location doesn't involve me too much on a day to day basis.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2013 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

This week (this entire month really!) is kind of like this                .

Swim team and ball games (two different levels of ball this year, yikes!) are in full swing, but rain keeps changing things up at the last moment. We had a wonderful afternoon at the park yesterday with friends, today was full of practices until more rain rolled in, now we only have riding lessons, and I am thankful as I am exhausted. About 7 weeks until baby!

We signed a purchase agreement earlier this month, and tonight we sign the loan application for an acreage!    We are doing major purging in preparation for moving and putting this place on the market. Dh loves it, it is a definite act of will for me!

I am looking forward to dh having two consecutive days off this weekend. He keeps getting scheduled such that he is unable to attend Mass (any Mass in a 40 mile radius ) and I look forward to attending as an entire family this weekend for Corpus Christi!   

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 29 2013 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

MaryM wrote:

Our August wedding is so much different than these two - being mother of the groom and 1000 miles away from wedding location doesn't involve me to much on a day to day basis.

Mary, I'm going to say this will all honesty...do try to enjoy your role in your son's wedding and find a way to graciously enter into it .

While Dave and I are hosting the wedding and reception, Michael's mom and/or family is finding ways to enjoy the ride. Some of the things they have offered (which, gosh knows I'm SO grateful they have) include: hosting the rehearsal dinner, giving the honeymoon as a gift, manning the fingerprint guestbook, making a gift card box, giving flip flops to the wedding party for late dancing, providing the cake slicer & champagne flutes. While they may or may not end up doing all of this, these were some ideas they brought to the table.

I'm doing my best to include everyone who wants to be included, to tap into everyone's talents, heart's desires, etc. But I find the task nearly impossible . The biggest challenge I've had has been being emotionally strong for many...many. Being insensitive and dealing with many sensitive souls...trying to mind-read...trying to anticipate... well, if I think on it too much I will .

So I won't dwell on it and simply entrust it all to God and His perfect plan .

And Mary, I can't wait for the day that you're planning Leah's wedding! I will soooooooooooo be there for you!

Gotta go figure out if I need to go to Hobby Lobby (my home away from home - yes, your craft-impaired friend LIVING at Hobby Lobby) AGAIN for stuff for the favors. Some of my ribbons, etc., were taken by a friend working on chair decor. Oh. My.

Love,

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 29 2013 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Angie Mc wrote:
Mary, I'm going to say this will all honesty...do try to enjoy your role in your son's wedding and find a way to graciously enter into it .

Thanks, Angie. I will try - the distance really does make it hard. The bride and groom are hosting and paying for the wedding and reception themselves. We are splitting the rehearsal dinner with the bride's family. Interestingly my dil-to-be sounds like she has a hard time delegating or trusting to hand over tasks - hmmmm....sounds like me....

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 29 2013 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I can see myself in your shoes in the not so distant future...

One of the things I'm most grateful for in throwing the reception as a gift to the bride and groom (old school) is that I'm able to help the bride to trust others, to delegate, to consider how guests will feel, etc. In other words, I'm still working on character formation for BOTH of us.

And...you are the groom's mom    . It will be nice to see how you "help" her to include you in a way that fills your heart too. She's lucky to have such a kind and respectful mother-in-law-to-be.

If you want to brainstorm, let me know! I'm obviously HOT on this topic right now .

Love,

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 29 2013 at 5:36pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

My parents have 5 daughters, and every wedding was super stressful. I totally hear your anguish, Angie! Each wedding had its own stress.

Since we're doing baseball for the second year, we travel less in the spring to see my MIL. So this weekend was a long one to play catch up. I was a bit out of practice in packing up, and having freezing temperatures wasn't too helpful -- I didn't pack any long sleeves. But we survived.

We did a bit of antiquing and I found two vintage full aprons and a few books and a few things for the kitchen. Inexpensive but useful, and fun to search.

I'm getting on the mend, actually was able to do 3/4 mile on the track while visiting. I'm a bit nervous because my youngest has a NEW cold, and I have got to stay well!

A few highlights from the past week:

1) Older son read the Lord of the Rings trilogy in less than a week.

2) He also caught a fly ball in center field -- a big deal.

3) #2 got his first library card today.

4) We visited older son's atrium yesterday. #2 will be entering next year, but has been super tentative (he's painfully shy). This was a great opportunity for him to relax and feel comfortable. After I showed him that he could draw, color, and paint (and he did a few drawings there), he is ALL excited and ready to go!

5) My dishwasher was installed yesterday! Happy, happy, happy!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2013 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

First of all, I hope to have some Orange Monkey Bread in AZ    Secondly, having three daughters, I will be calling on ou, Angie, for lots of wonderful advise!

There's a lot of excitement here! Dd's team won their soccer championship game, she has been picked up by a travel team that we are really pleased with, and she began swim team with my ds and 6yo dd. first meet is Sat.

It's only seven days until we board a plane, headed to AZ    I have a few more things to do to prepare for the big trip. One thing on my list is to post on the Prayer Request.

I hope everyone is having a great week! Weather is getting pretty warm, here!

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 30 2013 at 10:13pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Jenn Sal wrote:
First of all, I hope to have some Orange Monkey Bread in AZ    .

Next Friday morning

Love,

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version