Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Winterpromise Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 12 2013 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote Angel

Has anyone here ever used a Winterpromise curriculum as written... or at least a whole curriculum with tweaks? I've purchased materials from them before, but never a whole program. (Their shipping did seem slow.)

I'm looking at Animals and Their Worlds for my twins (who will be 2nd grade-ish) and my 5 yo, who will be K/1 (late August birthday). Now that they've added E-book options, it's all become a little more confusing to me. Anyway, after having a kind of rough, schizophrenic year this year ( we either did creativity OR consistency, but not both at the same time), I'm looking toward trying to achieve more of a balance next year. But with a newborn and 2 kids in high school (11th and 9th) plus a dyslexic 5th grader and then the 3 other boys to teach, I doubt I am going to have much time to do a lot of planning. So I'm beginning to investigate some "helps".

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

zookeeper9
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 20 2013 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote zookeeper9

Bumping

I am also looking at Winterpromise. Does anyone have any experience with the program?

Plus one saint in heaven Andrew 1/22-7/5/2005
Back to Top View zookeeper9's Profile Search for other posts by zookeeper9 Visit zookeeper9's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 20 2013 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I've been looking at some pre-planned things for much the same reason as Angela, except that I have a few more months to plan before my baby is due to arrive in July. I'm trying to have more plans in place since my boys are older and need more focused direction than they did two years ago when our last baby came.

I like the look of the Winterpromise program, though, I'm more tempted by the Sassafras Adventures discussed a bit here, which is less expensive and the booklist is a little less involved in either buying a lot of different books or coordinating their coming from the library at the right time.

There is also a 2 day a week option in the lesson plan, which appeals to me.

That said, I've also been looking at lot at Maryan's notebooks she put together to keep her crew on track during a difficult pregnancy, and she uses the Homeschool in the Woods programs available from WinterPromise, discussed in more detail here

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 20 2013 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I'm sorry! I didn't jump in here because I thought you were referring using WP for everything.

They are very visual -- my program was for older kids (Ancient History), but I wasn't able to get all their stuff done. Overall, we did a lot of it -- considering that I had five little kids and then became pregnant at the end of the year!

I used their plans on one side and my LA/Math plans on the other side. It worked pretty well.

I love looking at their younger children's programs!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2013 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote Angel

Oops, sorry I didn't make that clear -- I was just talking about the core, not the LA/Math. We'd be using our own LA/Math.

Did you feel like you were making a lot of tweaks to the program, Maryan, or could you use the plans mainly as written? I also really like the idea of your notebooks... just not sure I'll have the time to put something like that together for the 4 younger boys. I have one week to go before my C-section, then we'll have to limp through the rest of this year somehow, and we'll be taking more of a real summer break... but I'll also have a newborn.

(Lindsay, the link to Maryan's notebooks seems to go to the Sassafras thread, too?)

I guess I like the idea of having everything together in a package... although we already own many of the books included in the Animals and Their Worlds curriculum. But I think they have added a "Build Your Own" print package?

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 21 2013 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Angel wrote:
(Lindsay, the link to Maryan's notebooks seems to go to the Sassafras thread, too?)

Sorry It should be fixed now!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2013 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Thanks, Lindsay!

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 01 2013 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

I used and thoroughly enjoyed Animals and there worlds a few years ago as written.

I used and got frustrated with Seas and Skies, which was a tremendous disappointment bc it looked awesome. Maybe they made improvements since? Idk.

I have never found ONE box program for ALL my kids for ALL grades.

I have found that the occasional box or mostly boxed program gives me a breather from the work of planning everything. Over the years it's been different things for different kids for different reasons.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version