Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Philosophy of Education
 4Real Forums : Philosophy of Education
Subject Topic: Latin Centered Curriculum Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 11 2006 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

WJFR wrote:
I went and looked at the LCC site last night and found the forums and the typical days -- (look at LCC Reality Editions parts 1-3),   Oh, and here's the
blog

I'm looking forward to checking out these links, especially the one on "typical days."

Drew, I don't have your book so I don't know if this is addressed in it or not, but how do you feel about constant review of Latin roots from the book English from the Roots Up? Do you suggest a particular workbook for reviewing Latin root words?

I ask because we've tried taking an offered Latin class twice and couldn't seem to keep up. My two boys were less than enthused and they were the ones taking the class.

The classical approach might work well with my dd but with my boys I've tried to at least give them some exposure and constant review, even if it's only from English from the Roots Up. We're also using Word Roots this year with my 7th-8th grader.

My question is: What do you think about English from the Roots Up as the only Latin a child is getting?

Lame question I suppose but my boys really do resist a Latin-Classical curriculum.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Mungo
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 18 2006 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote Mungo

Hi, Cay,

Sorry to be so long in answering!

I would probably review roots on an as-needed basis. If you find that your children aren't deciphering words they encounter in their reading with reference to roots they "should" know then it would be worth taking a swing back through the material. This is pretty much how I deal with things like spelling, too. Some kids need a lot of it, some need almost none, most seem to do okay with a little help if they reach a sticking point. It really depends on the child!

HTH!
-Drew
Back to Top View Mungo's Profile Search for other posts by Mungo

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2006 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Hi Drew,

I'm so thrilled to see you here! Welcome!

I think I've "gushed" enough over at the LatinClassicalEd group about how life-changing the philosophy behind LCC has been for me in all areas of my life so I'll just keep it brief & say thank you for chiming in .

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

LH
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 05 2007 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote LH

Coming in late

Hello Ladies.

Seems most of this discussion took place early last year.
I'm curious what become of the LCC type lessons in your homeschool?
I kind of feel like I was "Art Robinson meets Classical Languages" before I heard of Art Robinson or LCC so while we do our own thing, we tend to have a lot of overlap of most of the homeschool methods.
Back to Top View LH's Profile Search for other posts by LH

rivendellmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 06 2007 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote rivendellmom

Well- I'll jump in and say that The latin centered curriculum is the only thing that has really "clicked" with my kids. Of course ours has a Charlotte Mason bent to it. I was really looking to simplify as I know we will be traveling a lot over the next 2 years and so I gave this a full out practice run, and the kids all love it.
Latin, Math, copywork, and memory take up the morning. After lunch we go for a walk and I put the youngest down for a nap. We tackle Composition M,W,F, Read alouds T,Th and our rotating subjects:
Monday-Classical
Tuesday- Christian
Wednesday- Modern
Thursday- Nature Journaling
Friday- Hands on Science
For my own sake I've combined the kids (2,5,7,10th grades)in as many subjects as possible. We spend a lot longer on the rotating subjects because they are at the end of the day. The kids all read to themselves for an hour at night, so read alone time is not taking up any time during the day. That leaves time for soccer, part time jobs, and any other individual interests.

Jen

LH
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 5:22am | IP Logged Quote LH

to Jen
Thanks for explaining that
I'm curious do your 13 and 15 y o 's do similar ? I'm always curious about the older students :-)
Back to Top View LH's Profile Search for other posts by LH

rivendellmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote rivendellmom

My 13 year old follows this schedule, with a lot of added reading at night.
My 16 year old is enrolled with American School and follows their program.

jen

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 5
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version