Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Copywork/dictation and spelling rules Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Claire F
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 19 2013 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote Claire F

I know so much has already been asked/discussed regarding copywork and narration, but I still find myself with a question.

Do you use/teach spelling rules in the course of using copywork and/or dictation?

From reading about this method of language arts, it appears that the concept is that children will learn to spell by memorizing the look of the word, rather than learning phonics and or spelling rules that apply. And yet, I see so many language arts curricula that emphasize and teach the spelling rules in great detail.

Any thoughts on using/teaching spelling rules in the context of a CM language arts program?

Thank you!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 21 2013 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Hi Claire,

Claire F wrote:
Do you use/teach spelling rules in the course of using copywork and/or dictation?

My answer would be yes and no. They are two entirely separate language arts approaches, so they each have different goals. When I spoke at a few conferences last year, I made up a quick chart just so folks could see at-a-glance each of the different CM lang. arts methods, their purpose and a little about them. I'm going to throw that up here for you...and then I'll take a quick stab at your question.

2013-02-21_092500_CM_Language_Arts_Summary.pdf

The purpose of copywork is penmanship. Of course, the kids do pick up some mechanics and spelling just because they are *copying* from good literature...but the goal is best effort in penmanship. So no, I don't teach spelling rules during a copywork session.

The purpose of dictations are multiple - spelling and grammar being the primary focus. I do not always speak to every single spelling rule for every challenging word during a dictation lesson. I do if the word seems extra challenging, or it's breaking a rule in some way (usually because of the word's etymology). So....I sometimes speak about a spelling rule during a dictation lesson, but not always. I do not feel the need to pound in every single phonics/spelling rule as part of our CM approach to language arts, so I may speak to them when they seem to fill a need of understanding, and that's it.

Claire F wrote:
From reading about this method of language arts, it appears that the concept is that children will learn to spell by memorizing the look of the word, rather than learning phonics and or spelling rules that apply.

You've hit on something there...except I'd exchange your word of *memorizing* with one that I think is more what CM was going for and that is *VISUALIZING* and making a word memory...which is really close to your assessment of memorizing. So, in a dictation lesson, I ask a child to study a word by looking at it until they can close their eyes and *see* the word in their minds eye...seeing the letters in the right order. There are some times that understanding *why* an "H" is silent in a word when it isn't usually...or why the i comes before the e, except after the "c" in this particular word DOES help...but not always and I don't set out to teach a spelling/phonics rule with every dictation lesson. I do so pretty informally when I judge that there may be an extra need by a particular child.

Claire F wrote:
And yet, I see so many language arts curricula that emphasize and teach the spelling rules in great detail.

Yes, you will see that in almost every other spelling program. It's a fundamental difference at the philosophical level of the program. So, it will be up to you what you want to do there. I've taught all my children so far using CM's language arts methods (and so far, I haven't had a natural speller...so they do have to work at it.) Deciding which philosophy (the why behind the how) will help you in determining the best fit for your family.

Having said ALL of that...it is just fine to incorporate a few spelling rules here and there with dictation in a CM based language arts program. These rules just aren't the core or meat of it.

Hope that's a help, Claire!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Claire F
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 21 2013 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote Claire F

Thank you, yes this is a HUGE help!

Mackfam wrote:

Claire F wrote:
And yet, I see so many language arts curricula that emphasize and teach the spelling rules in great detail.

Yes, you will see that in almost every other spelling program. It's a fundamental difference at the philosophical level of the program.

I think I needed someone to simply tell me that - that yes, there is a fundamental difference in how spelling (and language arts in general) is taught. I know that seems so obvious, and in a way basic, but it is helpful to see/hear anyway.

I get a little overwhelmed with all the choices out there, and suffer a bit from "what am I missing?" syndrome .

Right now we're spending a week or so doing some lighter schooling so I can spend time adjusting and tweaking. I'm trying to look at what's working for us, and what isn't working as well. Language arts is one area where we need improvement, and I think I need to scale back and have more faith in the method. Every time I read things about CM language arts, as well as Ruth Beechick and anything from Bravewriter, I am very inspired and feel like, "Yes! This makes so much sense!" But I've been struggling as to the day to day how to of it all. I am most definitely overthinking it, as I am prone to do.

I need to stop worrying about my homeschooling friends who talk endlessly about their spelling lists and grammar workbooks .

Thanks again - this is definitely helping me sort things out!

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2013 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Claire,
I am happy that Jen responded to you. I meant to but it slipped off my plate. Plus, Jen is infinitely more wise in this things than I am!

I agree with everything that Jen said!

But, I wanted to add that while I don't use any spelling rules with dictation I do use the "rules" that my kids learned when learning how to read.

I have used http://www.amazon.com/Reading-Reflex-Foolproof-Phono-Graphix -Teaching/dp/0684853671/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361476345&sr =8-1&keywords=reading+reflex and ABeCeDarian for my reading programs (these two programs are based on the same research and philosophy).

So, when they come to a hard word, when they are reviewing their dictation passage...we "tap and say the sounds" then we make mental notes of the sounds that could be different sounds like a, ae, ay, etc. and I have them try to picture the word in their "minds eye" broken up into their sounds and say the word.   In the end it boils down to memorization. Because in the end even with all the "spelling rules" there are so many exceptions that you just need to memorize either the word or the rules/exceptions.

When we are doing the dictation and they aren't spelling a word right I stop it right way to not build up wrong repetition....and we do this process backwards. I say the word sounds and they need to write the sounds down!

I don't know if my response really is directed at you questions. But, I wanted to say that you can do more than just say "memorize it!!!!". I think it's appropriate to help them fundamentally tackle works and to not be afraid of them!!!!!!!

Good Luck...and definitely keep your eyes on your own work!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version