Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Booklist 2013 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

There doesn't seem to be a list for this year yet, so I am starting one.

I just finished The Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace by Tamar Adler and I can't say enough good things about it. Really loved it. It is a cookbook with almost no recipes in it. Mostly essays about cookery and life. It reminded me of afternoons in the kitchen with my grandma.

Also, just finished The Night Circus by Erin Morganstern which was delightful. The author is so good at setting, you really feel that you are there and part of this magical circus. Brilliant. I passed it on to my daughter and she is loving it too. The entire novel contains 1 bad word.

Last night I finished The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz. I enjoyed it, but it is a grown-up book for sure. The author is a wacky private investigator from a family of private investigators who all spy on each other out of love.

Another I read a few weeks ago and am reading again is Water, Wind, Earth & Fire: The Christian Practice of Praying with the Elements by Christine Paintner. It soothes and nurtures the contemplative artist in me.

Anyone else reading something lovely?

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 09 2013 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

I just finished Regina Doman's Shadow of the Bear. I was pre-reading to see if my eldest might like it, but I think we will wait about 4 years. Very good book though, and I intend to keep reading through her works.

Our current read-aloud is The Fellowship of the Ring.

I discovered and devoured all of the books in the Maisie Dobbs series. I find them enjoyable and thought-provoking. I feel challenged to greater compassion by them.

Killing Lincoln by Bill O'Reilly was a Christmas gift. It was ok, but too sensationalized for my tastes.

I keep trying to get through The Story of a Soul, but just cannot seem to stay with it.   

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 09 2013 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

I read and enjoyed The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom.

anitamarie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 09 2013 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote anitamarie

I just finished The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. It was lovely and very ethereal and earthy at the same time. I enjoyed it thoroughly. As I was reading it, I thought, she writes place like Willa Cather, then I flipped the book over and one of the reviewers said the same thing. So, I guess if you enjoy Willa Cather, you will enjoy this book.

Anita

Back to Top View anitamarie's Profile Search for other posts by anitamarie

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 09 2013 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Booksnbabes wrote:
...I keep trying to get through The Story of a Soul, but just cannot seem to stay with it.   ...

I am that way with The Secret Diary of Elisabeth Leseur.    I am finally!, almost! finished with the book. The beginning went fast for me, the I got bogged down...don't know why.

I also read Jennifer Worth's "Call the Midwife." I really enjoyed it. It is autobiographical of her experiences as a midwife in the East End of London, and she does tell it like it was. Not for young people. I would like to read her other books, but the brief glimpse she gives in the workhouses in the book, I don't know if I could stomach a whole book on them. So very sad.

I've also read a couple of Agatha Christie mysteries, and that has been the sum of my reading! I am now in the middle of a couple of books on WWII, with a focus on the Philippines and Okinawa.

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 11 2013 at 11:04pm | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

Just finished the most recent Flavia de Luce mystery, Speaking From Among the Bones. I liked this one except it ended with a cliffhanger and I have to wait for the next installment!      

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 19 2013 at 12:03am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I'm reading Shadow on the Rock by Willa Cather right now and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It's been on my "pile" for YEARS and I don't know WHY I haven't read it! About a French apothacarie in the early days of Quebec!

Finished Confessions of Catherine de Medici a month ago or so and enjoyed it very much. Gives a different view of Catherine de Medici than what you normally hear about.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 19 2013 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

I read Gifted Hands by Dr. Benjamin Carson. I really enjoyed this book. I also just finished Twenty-five Yards of War: The Extraordinary Courage of Ordinary Men in World War II by Ronald Drez. Both very inspiring and sad.

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 19 2013 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

Read Mitch Albom's Tuesdays with Morrie and enjoyed it. Shed a few tears as well!

Gilded Lives, Fatal Voyage by Hugh Brewster was an ok read about some of the famous first-class passengers on the Titanic and that tragic voyage. Reading about the Titanic always leaves me feeling sad and angry.

Finding Everett Ruess by David Roberts was an interesting read about a young man from CA who rambled through the Southwest in the early '30s and disappeared in Utah in 1934 at the age of 20. Devotees compare him to John Muir and belive he would have been an accomplished artist and author in time. The book attempts to understand who he was as a person and what happened to him. I enjoyed the outdoorsy aspects, did not end up really caring for the person Everett as described.

I read The Night Circus based on it being mentioned above and enjoyed it.

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2013 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Just read a great little book: The Lost Art of Reading: Why Books Matter in a Distracted Time... and it happens to be a bargain price right now!

The author articulates what I've "felt" but been unable to name until now!

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 10 2013 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Just read Heaven is For Real and the new sequel, Heaven Changes Everything.

Basically- they are the story of a preschooler who had a ruptured appendix, died during surgery, went to heaven and came back. I found both books completely fascinating, especially since I have a Catholic friend who teaches college religion and tells me there are many similar accounts throughout history that agree with what this little boy saw.

I especially loved reading about the children who died through abortion or miscarriage- they are eagerly waiting to see their parents in heaven. And the part about Mary. The little boy, Colton, reported that she "still loves Jesus like a mom".

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 24 2013 at 11:40am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Just finished Pandora's Lunchbox

If you ever needed motivation to cook for your family and lose the processed food, this would be it. In particular, there was an interview with a family who took the 10 days of real food challenge. The personality changes in one of the boys was amazing after he stopped eating processed food. Also, the dad lost 18 pounds over time without doing anything else but giving up the processed foods.

This book led me to the website 100 Days of Real Food,
which was started in 2010 by a mom who wanted to stop feeding her kids processed food.

Lots of good recipes and ideas here!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version