Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Eric Carle ideas Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 29 2005 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

I checked out the insect lore website. I wish I had seen it before we started, but my kids are young, I'm sure we'll be revisiting this unit. I would like to order the caterpillars soon though. That will be fun. We actually have many live insect specimens in our yard, I just haven't taken the time to study them. We have ladybugs living in our house (in the fall?) but I don't know where they're are coming from. When I was lifting slates to see if there were any ant colonies under them, I found some spiders.....I quickly put the slates down. Maybe next week I'll pretend they don't gross me out so we can study them. Beth, I'm enjoying reading your posts and picturing you watching a chrysalis or sitting on your red-checkered tablecloth.       

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Beth in MD
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 29 2005 at 11:33pm | IP Logged Quote Beth in MD

LOL Cheryl,

I do wonder if we parents get more out of homeschooling than our kids do! I spend many minutes each day gazing at the chyrasalis(es?) and pupae... Today, the ladybugs are emerging from their pupae. My dd (age 8) found one that had just emerged -- yellow with no spots! I excitedly called the others in to see... We got to see it drying its hindwings (wow, I really HAVE learned a lot this term!)

I'm not much of a bug-lover, either! We haven't really checked what's living outside yet... Turning over rocks and logs kinda freaks me out!

Insect Lore was very fast with the order. I ordered mine late one Sunday night, and they had arrived the following Thursday. I think the study could continue into your rainforest unit and still be pertinent, couldn't it?

How are the insect lapbooks coming? I've yet to begin looking into them -- but that rainforest one looks really cool! How on earth do you do that????!! Maybe we could try this over the summer at a nice relaxed pace. I'm going to try and locate that book you mentioned.

We're also studying World War 2 and I'm gobbling up all my ds (age 11)'s readers! Me, who detested history in school (all those names and dates -- ugh!!)

I just love homeschooling!

Peace,
Beth in MD

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2005 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Beth,
I've been busy. All we've done so far this week that was related to this unit is read about spiders. I totally agree with your thoughts about us enjoying this as much as the kids. I've been learning a lot too.

I don't know how the lapbook is coming. We haven't put it together yet. So far we have a 10 pg layered look book called "What do these bugs eat?" On each page is the name of a bug and a picture of something it eats. I love my ds 6's handwriting. It's so cute. I'll finish this tonight. I just realized I need to cook dinner now.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Beth in MD
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 04 2005 at 10:48pm | IP Logged Quote Beth in MD

Cheryl,

The look book sounds cute to me. How do you hook all the pages together? Is this all described in the book you mentioned?

I think it's great that you have the Eric Carle museum nearby -- I'll bet your kids will really enjoy that (and you, too!)

We're on ants and bees this week. Today we went out in search of ant nests. It was so cool that I had just previously read in the Handbook of Nature Study how the ants bring the eggs and larvae up under a stone, and then if the stone is turned over, they scramble to remove the eggs and larvae down to the lowest parts of the nest. We actually got to see this exact thing happen!

And I was amazed at how quickly the ants discovered the maple syrup and honey -- within 25 minutes, they were there! Two ants appeared to be fighting, and then one ant got stuck in the honey -- the other one tried to help it get out.

My kids were finding all kinds of insects (all larvae) to put in their collection jars. They're really enjoying this unit.

God bless,
Beth in MD <><

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2005 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Beth,
How old are your children? I was just wondering. I'm glad you enjoyed observing the ants yesterday. Ants are fun to watch. I like your idea of collecting larvae. It's simple, but I hadn't thought of it. Maybe we'll try it.

It is cool the Eric Carle Museum is close (about 35 min) but tomorrow will be our first visit there.

Today we looked outside for spiders. We found some. But while we were looking I saw a bird sitting in its nest under our deck. Then, as I was pointing out the bird, my son found a toad. It actually looked like one of the stones under our deck, but it was a toad. So we drew him and watched him for awhile.

I started putting the lapbook together and I'll tell you all about it when we're finished. We also painted tissue paper and we'll try to make a collage later today.

Beth in MD
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 05 2005 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote Beth in MD

Wow Cheryl, you were busy today! I just love when the kids get excited about their discoveries outside -- right in the back yard! Toads can be really hard to spot, your son did a good job! I guess you're wrapping up your unit with insect predators.

We have some predators of our own. Today, 3 of our chrysalises cracked open and we have 3 beautiful painted lady butterflies flying around the habitat! Unfortunately, our 2 kitties also spotted them (I guess now that they're moving around a bit more, they finally found them.) My son found they had knocked over the habitat, terrorizing the poor creatures. We rescued them and put them somewhere the kitties can't reach. But one cat is still trying to figure out a way to get to them.

How did the tissue paper painting go? What did you put underneath, and where did you dry the sheets? We've been talking about doing this, but I've been delaying it!

Have a great time at the museum!

Beth in MD
p.s. my kids are: Zack (age 11.5), Jordan (ds -age 9.5), Hannah (age 8), and Kayley (age 6) I think this year has been our absolute best yet. CCM is really working for us! (This is our 4th year homeschooling, 1st full year of CCM.)

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2005 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

We ran across the movie MicroCosmos at the library by accident. What a gem of a find!   It follows the insect world through up-close and time lapse photography throughout a day and night. Some of the caterpillar shots are soooooo cool! There are also some great ladybug segments plus lots of other insects and a few frogs. There are a couple of shots that might disturb sensitive younger ones such as a spider wrapping a cricket in her web.

Come Holy Spirit!!

Beth in MD
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 06 2005 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote Beth in MD

Thanks Gwen. That movie sounds awesome. I'll be searching the library catalog immediately!

All of our butterflies have emerged. Unfortunately, all 5 are males! My kids were hoping to have eggs. (I wonder if insect lore does that on purpose??) We can't release them until temps are above 55 degrees. My kitties are thoroughly frustrated.

DS captured a redbacked salamander today, so we were learning a bit about those amphibious creatures. DD brought him in in our (bare) collection jar -- they haven't caught onto the concept that they need to bring some of the surroundings they found them in. Anyway, we put some stones, moss, dirt, and water in and "Sammy" seemed happy. She released him before dinner.

My kids are much more observant lately. Must be this insect unit. And the prior nature study (past years, we rarely if ever did nature walks!) Thanks, CM!

Sorry to ramble,
Beth in MD

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2005 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

My kids just got to see their Monarch butterfly emerge from its chrysalid. They saw the whole thing. Pretty exciting.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2005 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

[QUOTE=Beth in MD]
How did the tissue paper painting go? What did you put underneath, and where did you dry the sheets? We've been talking about doing this, but I've been delaying it!

Beth, we painted the tissue paper (6 x 6 sheets) on some large paper that was crumpled up in a Christianbook.com box. (packing material) We dried the paper on the same kind of packing paper on our kitchen floor. I haven't tried the collage yet. I'm hoping I don't ruin the tissue paper with the glue.

I'm glad to hear about your butterflies and the salamander. Happy Mother's Day!

Beth in MD
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 08 2005 at 10:41pm | IP Logged Quote Beth in MD

Cheryl,

Thanks for the tips about the tissue paper painting. Sounds messy and fun! We'll hopefully get to that this week.

This is our last week of "formal" schooling; I'm kind of sad to be ending this wonderful unit. Of course, I know it never really ends. It's actually a great way to end our year; the kids are having a great time exploring outside (they were turning into little couch potatoes for a while there)

We watched the Cricket in Times Square video on Friday -- the books are really cute, my kids really enjoyed the first, and I'll be reading the next one to them after we're done with our current literature selection.

(We studied not only insects, but also horses and dogs this term. We didn't really delve into more than the insects, but I read aloud Black Beauty and right now Ginger Pye. My ds age 9 read the Marguerite Henry books and my ds age 11 read Old Yeller and Big Red. I read Seabiscuit, just for me!)

I can't believe another year is coming to a close!

Happy Mother's Day!
Beth in MD

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 17 2005 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Beth in MD wrote:

Elizabeth, I'd be happy to send you our weekly lesson plans since we're now on our third week. You'd have to delete a bunch (as EVERYTHING is in there!) Just let me know.

God bless you all,
Beth

Dear Beth,
I'd love to have them and if you don't mind, I can upload them here.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Wendi DeGrandpr
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 18 2005 at 7:24am | IP Logged Quote Wendi DeGrandpr

We are incorporating our insect study with and Eric Carle study. Today we are off to the EC museum.
We are creating "insect books". For each insect we study the kids create pages for their books - drawing, using EC's collage method, researching the insects (the older kids are researching the life cycle and seasonal cycle for each and making the information available for the little ones. We are reading any books EC has for the insects and the kids are incorporating and memorizing poetry from his Animals Animals book.
So far they are all enjoying it, and learning a lot. I appreciate all the ideas on this list - it has been very helpful.
God Bless,
Wendi
Back to Top View Wendi DeGrandpr's Profile Search for other posts by Wendi DeGrandpr

ami*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 18 2005 at 8:53am | IP Logged Quote ami*

Could I compile the ideas here from this thread (and the lesson plans that are yet to be posted) into one HUGE Eric Carle unit and post it at my website? I would give credit to the homeschooling moms at 4Real Education (and list your link). Please let me know if this is okay or taboo. Thanks! :) Ami
Back to Top View ami*'s Profile Search for other posts by ami* Visit ami*'s Homepage

Beth in MD
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 18 2005 at 10:58pm | IP Logged Quote Beth in MD

Dear Elizabeth,

I'd love to share our unit with the forum. Cheryl had some great ideas too. I'll try to get some of them worked in, if at all possible, before I send it to you.

My sister-in-law is getting married Saturday and we're "The Band". That, and the next two days being filled with band concerts, talent show, field day, and needing to complete my wedding outfit, will keep me from fixing up the unit. After this weekend is over, I will pretty it up and send it out to you.

OH, I do have one on Ireland which is ready, if you'd like it. It merges several of the ideas from your booklist, as a beginning. Let me know!

God bless,
Beth in MD

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 19 2005 at 6:45am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Dear Beth,
Send Ireland to me in an email and I can upload it as a word file. My email address is elizfoss@aol.com. This is great; one of the primary goals of opening these boards was to have a place to collect and to discuss plans that reflect real learning. Alice's Easter Vigil notebook thread is a prime example of how well this works. This Eric Carle thread is a great example of how we can brainstorm on a unit even before there are written plans.

Ami, I would love to see all the plans here organized into an easy format and I do plan to do so (I haven't even gotten all the books yet--you all are so far ahead of me ). If you want to take on that task, I'd be very grateful. You really seem to have a knack for unit organization. You're welcome to post a link to this thread at your site (which looks just great, btw)! Or you could post a partial unit there and send people here for the discussion and the rest of the story .

You all are awesome and what a gift this is to all of us and to those who come behind us!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2005 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Ami,
I may be able to send pictures of our lapbook to you, but I'm don't know how to do it. I only have a SLR camera, but my husband has a digital camera for his work. Maybe he could help me. The lapbook does not have much writing in it though because my oldest is 6. I'm happy with how it came out, but it's a pre-k & K & Mom helping level.

ami*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 19 2005 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote ami*

Great! I will probably start on that today as we don't have any plans...and it's raining, so no-go on the outside fun.

I am going to PM lots of you for your snack/craft and other plans and ideas.

Cheryl, I would *love* to add pictures of your lapbook! PK-K is fine!

YAY! I'm excited
Ami

*okay, I think I have sent all the private messages out! Hope to have this one compiled soon!
Back to Top View ami*'s Profile Search for other posts by ami* Visit ami*'s Homepage

ami*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 19 2005 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote ami*

I already had some spider ideas on the website...since it will be awhile before I get this unit compiled I decided to post them here in case someone wants to use them for The Very Busy Spider (I added a few ideas from this thread, too!

The Very Busy Spider
Go Along Books: Miss Spider’s Tea Party (and have a tea party of your own!)
The Itsy Bitsy Spider (Lorianne Siomades) *any version of this book (sing it, too!)
Charlotte's Web (E.B. White) *read aloud for older children
Be Kind to Spiders (Magaret Grahm)

Nursery Rhyme – Drama
Little Miss Muffet (this is a fun one to act out; you can take turns being Miss Muffet and the spider--you can even use some small props like a plastic bowl, plastic spoon, eight legs (for the spider), bow in the hair (for Miss Muffet). When the "spider" frightens Miss Muffet, "she" can throw her bowl and spoon up in the air!

Spider Science
Spiders spin silky webs that other insects get stuck in. Why don't spiders get stuck? They tip-toe around on their web! To demonstrate this for your child, create a simple web on the floor with masking tape (tape side down--it won't be sticky). Pretend to be spiders by tip-toeing around on the web! You could print some flies (http://homeshare.dreniarb.com/documents/flies.doc) and let your child stick them to the web mentioned above. Now, let your "spiders" tip-toe around on the web and eat those flies! (Spiders eat flies, mosquitoes, and other small insects)
Spiders don't chew their food. Once an insect gets stuck in the web, the spider shoots poison into it. The poison turns the bug into liquid, and the spider drinks her meal.   kind of bugs do spiders eat?
Here is a little song that will also reinforce what your child has learned about what spiders eat.
Original Author unknown (Sung to: "Farmer in the Dell")
The spider in the web,
The spider in the web
Spin, spin, oh watch him spin,
The spider in the web.

The spider eats a (bug name)
The spider eats a _________.
Spin, spin, oh watch him spin,
The spider in the web.
Another idea to reinforce the silky web is to search for silky textures in your home. Note the tactile web in The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle, too.

Pipe Cleaner Spider *The Itsy Bitsy Spider Tie-In
Materials Needed:
Black Pipe Cleaners
Egg Carton
Small pieces of PVC Pipe (to make a spout)
Yarn

Take one bump of the egg carton and attach black pipe cleaner legs. Let your child draw on the face with a Sharpie marker (if you dare!) cut eyes, mouth, antennas from construction paper and glue on. You could also use google eyes. Add yarn to the top.   Using the yarn, your child will be able to make the spider go up and down the water spout.

Eight Leg Worksheet http://homeshare.dreniarb.com/documents/Spiderworksheet.doc
Circle the spiders! You will know by counting their legs. Insects have six legs while spiders have eight. Be careful not to count the antennas! (This would be a good time to teach that word to your child--as you look at the pictures. You may even want to make some simple antennas for him to wear.)

More Spider Fun
http://www.dltk-kids.com/crafts/halloween/recipes/spidercook ies.html *Spider Cookies!
http://bigsnestpond.net/critters/spider1.html *shows a web from beginning to end

Visit your local pet store to see a tarantula; the workers at my pet shop are very friendly and will get animals out for us (if you're brave enough!)

soodow
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 20 2005 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote soodow

Just visited the E. Carle museum with Wendi and group. A tip we recieved about painting the tissue paper... E. Carle coats the paper before painting so the paint doesn't absorb so much into the paper. Suggest using tracing paper or similar coated paper!

Sue
Back to Top View soodow's Profile Search for other posts by soodow

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version