Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Things you never buy... or Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

SeaStar wrote:
I would love to stop buying dishwasher detergent. I don't like all the chemicals- and who knows how much really gets rinsed off in the final rinse?
I like Seventh Generation brand, but it's expensive.

I've never been successful at making my own, though- or laundry detergent either.

I tried that, and switched back to the real stuff. The natural stuff worked fine at first, but my dishes started developing a haze and never seemed to get clean. I have also heard that repairmen recommend sticking with name brand stuff for your dishwasher for their long term maintenance. I hate having stuff around that is so scary for little ones to get into, so we keep it in a tall cabinet. But still, I agree about the chemicals.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

SeaStar wrote:
I would love to stop buying dishwasher detergent. I don't like all the chemicals- and who knows how much really gets rinsed off in the final rinse?
I like Seventh Generation brand, but it's expensive.

I've never been successful at making my own, though- or laundry detergent either.

I'd love to make my own dishwasher detergent but it is hard to find a recipe anyone has any confidence in, even those who make their own laundry detergent.

That said, we have been making our own laundry detergent for about 4 months and its been great. I found a recipe using smelly soap on Milehimama, but I didn't want to use fels naptha and already had Dr. Bronner's. So I looked up a recipe for using dr. bronner's.

Homemade Laundry Detergent HE compatible

This one has been great. My only problem is finding a way to buy the soap in bulk. It had been 2 for 1 a few months ago at my local grocery but I only bought 6. So the price has gone up for us for now, but still less than some and I love that I know what is in it, and I can make it when we are out rather than run to the store. Oh, and I don't blend it, just stir every so often to make sure the ingredients are distributed evenly.

For all of you who use cloth napkins, what has been your best bet for stocking up? How many do you need? We either buy paper or don't have them and that's no good, so I need a solution. :) I saw Marshall's. I've thought of goodwill. Any other suggestions? I still need to learn to use my sewing machine, and then that is an option.

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Most of our cloth napkins have come from garage sales. I don't actually garage sale that often, but when I have, I've always found some inexpensive cloth napkins!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

I use lots of homemade household products. I started slowly and added more as I could.

I don't buy:
napkins
paper towels
dryer sheets
laundry detergent
household cleaners
fire starters
sponges
scrubbers

I wrote a whole post on how I do this if you are interested.

Homemade household products

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

ctrivette
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote ctrivette

Do you have problems with the powdered/dry laundry soap in cold water? I wash almost everything in cold and have always used liquid because I thought dry wouldn't dissolve.

We don't buy paper napkins, scrubbies, dishclothes, breadcrumbs, bisquik-type mix, dryer sheets. We have a fig tree so I don't buy those either.   I only buy one or two rolls of paper towels a year...they get used for really nasty cleaning.

I hope to stop buying eggs, tomatoes, peppers, squash, and herbs once we move. I need to spend more time at Goodwill so I can say I don't buy most clothes new either.
Back to Top View ctrivette's Profile Search for other posts by ctrivette

Aingeal
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote Aingeal

Interesting!

We don't buy:

paper plates or napkins, unless for a larger event. We use cloth napkins daily and for dinner gatherings.

bottled water, juices, or smoothies

cards for family birthdays. Crafting time!

tissues for daily use...we use t.p. for nose blowing, or a hankie. If someone has a cold, I'll buy a box of the real stuff.

Baking mixes. Always make from scratch

As to the "eco" dishwasher stuff, I've never used it successfully. Things always have a film or seem hazy. I'm pretty loyal to Cascade packets:)

Back to Top View Aingeal's Profile Search for other posts by Aingeal

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 29 2013 at 5:28am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

ctrivette wrote:
Do you have problems with the powdered/dry laundry soap in cold water? I wash almost everything in cold and have always used liquid because I thought dry wouldn't dissolve.

We don't buy paper napkins, scrubbies, dishclothes, breadcrumbs, bisquik-type mix, dryer sheets. We have a fig tree so I don't buy those either.   I only buy one or two rolls of paper towels a year...they get used for really nasty cleaning.

I hope to stop buying eggs, tomatoes, peppers, squash, and herbs once we move. I need to spend more time at Goodwill so I can say I don't buy most clothes new either.

I do have trouble with a powdery film, especially on dark items, when I use powder in my washer. But I use Borax powder or AH washing soda as a booster, and I don't have a problem with either of those in cold. Weird.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2013 at 7:51am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

I am ditto everything Aingeal said.

I often use the Seventh Generation dishwasher powder- it works even better than the commercial stuff, but it is expensive.

I made laundry soap, the liquid on from the Duggers site, for about half a year. It made my washing machine STINK, even though it was so low suds. My dh and I decided to stop using it, as much as I loved making it (and saving money) and went back to a plain old no scent liquid and we are had a much better time with the machine.

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version