Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Organic Lawn Care Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 08 2006 at 8:02pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

lapazfarm wrote:
I find this fascinating! Especially since ds and I just finished doing a nature study of flower anatomy just from the various flowers growing in our VERY unmanicured lawn! We looked at clover, buttercups, violets, dandelions,wild roses, wild strawberries, and some sort of wild pea flowers all from our lawn! And here I was thinking how lucky we were!
I just love the diversity of lifestyles on this board!

I don't like clover to walk on, but I agree about all those wonderful varieties you had. I especially miss buttercups. I haven't seen them in years. We used to have them in Houston all the time.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 08 2006 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

Jenn, I agree about clovers and bees. I just don't know how to get rid of it, naturally.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2006 at 5:26pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

I *like* clover... my kids bring me some of the flowers to smell (which they do) and hunt for four leaved clovers
I'm to scared to go barefoot over here because of snakes... and I grew up with the English grass (I'm from England) so...

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2006 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Another good reason to let your lawn go a bit "wild" ... we watched a golfinch feast on the seeds of the dandelion puffs all over our yard this afternoon - during a rainstorm no less! I just posted about it on my blog.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 15 2010 at 10:48am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Elizabeth wrote:
Definitely a spousal debate. Between the financial aspect and whatever the male wiring is that compels them to compare color and quantity of grass to the guy next door ...

It's true! Men and women are wired so differently. My husband notices the lushness, or lack thereof, of grass when we pass a yard. Me? I notice the flowers, whether everything gels together, how wild or civilized a garden looks. Even in our own garden, when I plant something, it takes me to SHOW him what I planted for him to notice it.

DianaC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 18 2010 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote DianaC

We just began having a lawn care service come and spray - the weeds had literally taken over our lawn.

We noticed immediate results: the grass was lusher, greener and many (not all) of the weeds have shriveled and gone. All this happened in just a couple of weeks. The scary part, though, is that our dog will no longer walk on the grass. She goes to great pains to walk along the perimeter of the yard or stays on the driveway or sidewalk.

So, although our lawn looks very pretty, I think we'll stop the service and look for a healthier alternative.
Back to Top View DianaC's Profile Search for other posts by DianaC

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2010 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

We've only used organic lawn care for about the last 6 years but we moved into a new (to us)home about 3 yrs ago. The previous owner had obviously had a company spraying etc b/c there were NO weeds when we moved in. I have not even bothered to get the corn gluten meal from Gardens Alive since we've moved here, just done our usual mowing with a mulching blade and handdig the weeds (one of the most dreaded punishments at our house is to hand the child a bucket and a weeding fork and say fill it up). We definitely have a good bit of clover, a few dandelions and worst of all, thistles (ouch). My neighbor just started having chem-lawn spray her lawn - it's been done twice now I think and ours still looks much better IMO. Our grass is nice and green and thick. I meant to get the Gardens Alive stuff this spring but with all the garden prep (I have been adding new raised beds each year) didn't get to it. It's mostly a pre-emergent type product so summer is too late I think.

Those chemicals which promote rapid, green lush growth contribute to thatch buildup in addition to just being toxic to earthworms and good bugs.

Anyway, last week a man from TruGreen knocked on my door trying to sign us up (guess he noticed our clover and thistles). When I told him we prefer to stay organic, he said they have an organic program which involves putting chicken parts on the lawn! Ugh. No thanks. First, I don't trust a chemical company to be doing "organic" and second, really, chicken parts? I thought he was going to say chicken litter but chicken parts? Not sure how a meat byproduct is going to take care of the weeds.

But it started me wondering about something like the Gardens Alive corn product. Yes, it's natural, but is the corn they get this from grown organically? The US grows SO much corn now simply b/c of government price supports, which is why it's now used as a sweetener, car fuel, etc. They have to keep finding uses for it to justify the growing of so much (read Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma). But somehow I doubt that there is a huge surplus of organically grown corn waste.

Karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 19 2010 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I guess to me, I was thinking organic as from natural vs. chemically made sources, and not certified organic, which is a different "official" class.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2010 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

You're right, I don't think GA is claiming "organic" in big letters in that way. It just started me thinking about the chain of chemicals in everything. I buy raw milk and pastured eggs and beef from a certified organic farm, and to be certified, he has to show that everything he uses is organic to begin with, going back to his compost, etc. So his pasture has to come from organic seed, or if established pasture, not been treated for so many years, and then so on. And he has to maintain a certain buffer of land between him and a non-organic neighbor, so that no run-off or wind-drift affects his pasture.

so when I make compost from our kitchen scraps to put on my garden, it's not technically organic b/c not all of what we eat is organic at this point. Not that I'm trying to get certified

Karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version