Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Nature Journals Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 09 2006 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Elizabeth wrote:
My eldest is a gifted artist. They would peer over his shoulder, ooh and aahh, and totally give up on their own drawings.

I recently met the author of this book ,Who Lives in Your Backyard? and this is what she describes as the most common reason for people to not do nature sketches - comparisons to more experienced artists and the "pictures in books." I didn't have time to really read through the book at that time, but she described it as walking through the process of observation and putting drawing into practice. She emphasized how one improves through practice and that we can't compare ourselves as beginners to those who are no longer beginners. Her book shows the "evolution" of her drawing abilites through excerpts from her journals. It focuses on the simple nature around us - our backyards. Seems like it could be a good addition to the Leslie/Roth book on the topic.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2006 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Thanks, Mary, for the lead on that one! It looks fantastic! I already added it to my cart at Amazon (where it is much cheaper than the publisher's price). I can't wait to see it!
Who Lives in your Backyard

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2006 at 6:53pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Mary M -- this book and the author sound awesome. Just what I needed to hear. THANKS! Any chance she'd be at the conference in June?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 09 2006 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

lapazfarm wrote:
MacBeth, I love the idea of a fungus walk. It is one area of nature where I am woefully ill-informed. I just need to get out and dig into it. Any tips on fungus hunting? Best sites, time of year, etc? I figure moist woods will be the richest sites, but where else should we look?
Also, do you know of any good online fungus guides?

Oh, anywhere . Thankfully, though, not in my walls.

Moist forests, or well-watered lawns are great. I have a very good friend who regularly picks the mushrooms off his neighbors' lawns and eats them, using nothing more than a Peterson's Guide!

Our best 'shrooming happens in the fall, in damp forests. I posted a few pictures on Mousey Trails, but they are big big big, and may be hard for some folks    to see. I will try to get them smaller, but the detail is sometimes lost in reduction, and the detail is so cool!
Check out Wildman Steve Brill's mushroom site. He has great photos, recipes and advice. He's a local guy who knows his stuff (and he's pretty funny, too). Check out his video on Chicken Mushrooms (delicious, btw!!!!).

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2006 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Just thought I'd bump this thread with this link to some nature journal ideas you can use to get started!

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2006 at 9:03am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

One thing I'd like some tips on is using watercolor pencils. We have several sets and i've used them as very nice pencils but have never taken the plunge and wet them afterward, afraid everything will smear and be unrecognizable.
Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2006 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I found this lesson:watercolor pencil seashell
and a couple more lessons on the same site here.
I think we will try this technique during our Sail Away unit study.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2006 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

Theresa-
Can you share where you found the coloring pages for Arnosky's 100 Animals Every Child Should Know? Thanks.
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2006 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Sure!
Here it is!Jim Arnosky 100 Animals

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2006 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

Thank you! Site is bookmarked for further exploration!
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version