Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Accessorizing for Advent & Lit. Year Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 10 2012 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

So, I was in Target this weekend and saw this scarf - it screams ADVENT.

Wouldn't that be fun to wear during this season?

Anyone else wear colors (clothing or accessories) that tie in with the feast days or liturgical seasons? I do like to wear purple during Advent (and Sundays in Lent). I also do red on Pentecost.

What about jewelry?

Now just trying to decide if I need to buy the scarf. I hate spending money on myself this time of year when the shopping budget is a little crunched.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2012 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Wow! It does say Advent I don't typically wear those colors, but if it goes with things you already wear, it would be fun. I do usually wear red on Palm Sunday and Pentacost. Sometimes I'll intentionally wear blue on First Saturday or a Marian feast day as well.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2012 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

I wear purple sometimes during Advent and Lent, too. (And red on Pentecost, and blue on Marian days...) I even got my husband purple and pink ties for the appropriate Sundays. He is NOT a guy who would normally wear those colors, but they both have some gray in them, and with a gray sweater vest, there's just a little bit of the color, so he'll do it.

Love the scarf!

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2012 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

I knit a purple Tasha Shawl a few years ago for Lent. It was first large project and I finished it on Good Friday!!!! I have continued wearing through the years during lent.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2012 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

how pretty.. I've been experiementing with scarves recently.. my dh likes them Yesterday I wore one of my very few (2) purplish colored shirts (really more of a crayloa red-violet) but I have a scarf (rescued from the girls room ) that's sorta an orangey floral with hints of green and lavender in it. It was pretty together. I find I really need scarves in colors that aren't my favorites because all my clothes are my favorite colors and I want the scarves to accent. I have a hard time spending extra money too.. but over Thanksgiving I was able to get a scarf at goodwill for only $2 plus a couple I have that I can make do with plus a couple of more winter wear scarves.. and then dh and I got me several that we'll put under the tree

I've found I really like the scarves because I don't have to worry about them breaking if the baby tries to rappel off my lap with them. (the ornery 2 yr old already has done that with my braid) and I can even take it off and set it aside or give it to the baby to play with.. things I coudln't really do with jewelry and the #1 thing it's much better at than a necklace.. it doesn't tangle in my hair

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2012 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote Tami

Oh, yes, lovely, lovely scarf!

I do the same thing - try to wear purple for Advent/Lent and red for Pentcost. Scarves a definitely a easy way to get started!

We had a parish priest who always, always encouraged the congregation to do this…. should have seen the football jerseys that appeared at mass each weekend!

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2012 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I found this one at Kohls - it is a little more subdued but lovely for Advent as well.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

What I like about the Liturgical colors is that they are primary colors -- so they are usually found in my wardrobe (except the green). I choose to take the option to NOT wear rose, since pink/rose is not in my wardrobe.

I do try to match liturgical colors generally, though, in small ways.

However, I might consider those scarves. Just perfect!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JennGM wrote:
(except the green)

Well, trying to dress for ordinary time could get a bit dull

Though, did you hear the Pantone color of the year is Emerald Green

Who knew I was a trendsetter when I painted my kitchen cabinets, lol.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

BaubleBar is my favorite trendy, blingy jewelry!

They have a nice selection of purple jewelry

Like a scarf....you could just add a bit of color with some purple earring!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:53am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Betsy wrote:
BaubleBar is my favorite trendy, blingy jewelry!

They have a nice selection of purple jewelry

Like a scarf....you could just add a bit of color with some purple earring!

I don't know, Betsy. My great-great-great aunt from old New Orleans would call that "Mardi Gras"! And she didn't mean it positively!

I'm just kidding.... I'm a little more conservative and probably would opt for the expensive look of amethysts.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

JennGM wrote:
I don't know, Betsy. My great-great-great aunt from old New Orleans would call that "Mardi Gras"! And she didn't mean it positively!

Oh! Ouch!

I agree that there are some really tacky designs, but I think there are some very lovely ones too!

Check these out:
Cushion Amethyst Drops
Amethyst Mixed Shapes
Lilac Cushion Studs
Amthyst Stack Ring
Wisteria Bracelet
Jewel Gem Studs
Violet Chain Cascade My Favorite!

I will say that any one who knows me IRL know that I dress pretty conservatively and use a lot of bold accessories. Scarves, hats and big blingy jewelry are a must!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I hope you know I was teasing. Comes across differently online. I just remember her saying that about material I picked for a dress when I was young. And then I heard her repeat it, and realized she meant bold and colorful.

Those are very nice, not tacky!

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Jenn---I knew you were joking!    The truth is the first two rows of "purple" jewelry listed were pretty tacky....the nicer ones that were purple were on page 2 and 3.

I should have just posted them individually in my first post!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 5:36pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Betsy wrote:
JennGM wrote:

Oh! Ouch!

I agree that there are some really tacky designs, but I think there are some very lovely ones too!

Yes, there are some really lovely designs. I like big and ornate, and colorful that is in right now - it really looks amazing on some people. I can't necessarily pull it off but I have a couple friends who wear some of those styles and they always look so great.

I'm glad this is touching on jewelry now, too. In my original question I asked about it because I do think it would be a subtle way to add the colors of the season.

And in addition to the colors I have recently been thinking of adding jewelry that is symbolic - not necessarily by color. Like these peacocks for their symbolism - I love them, though I don't know that I could pull them off. A great piece to wear during the Easter season.

Quote:
Peacock: As a symbol of immortality (even St. Augustine believed the peacock's flesh to have "antiseptic qualities" and that it didn't corrupt), the peacock became a symbol of Christ and the Resurrection. Its image embellished everything from the Catacombs to everyday objects, like lamps, especially in early Romanesque and Byzantine churches. (The peacock, for obvious reasons, was also used as a symbol for pride, too)

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Ah yes. I have fleur de lis earrings and a necklace I wear for Our Lady's days, and decorate with that for her feast days.

I love decorating with peacock feathers for Easter. I was thinking of buying some decorations at Pier One that are all peacock themed and saving for Easter.

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Oh my goodness Mary, those earrings are to die for!!!!!

As a jewelry Lady, I am all for accessorizing for the liturgical year! I have my pink earrings waiting for this coming Sunday and my purple necklace combo has been out in full force this Advent.

Love the idea of symbolic accessories as well!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

OK, so I go into a little shop down town today.. always fun to browse and I wanted to get some prices for my dh for the fire department Christmas party (Santa gives little gifts to the kids).. and just get to chatting with the clerk and another customer and the clerk pulls out a pretty necklace she likes and I smiled because she mentioned it a fall necklace.. (it was stylized grapes in metal tones and a subdued plum) and I mentioned that I was Catholic and we celebrate Advent and the color of Advent is purple and how I'd been talkingn with a friend about adding a touch of the seasons color to our wardrobe. Well it turns out that she is Catholic as well and has an older son with autism but she said she wanted to try and get back to Mass and I was able to give her information like that the Bishop will be here. And also that the daily Masses are very quiet with fewer people. Her son doesn't deal with crowds well. She even wrote down some of the info.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Mary,
Where have I been? I have never heard that before about Peacocks! I love it! Are there other symbolic animals like that? Bees, maybe?

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 7:12pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MaryM wrote:
So, I was in Target this weekend and saw this scarf - it screams ADVENT.

Wouldn't that be fun to wear during this season?

LOVE the scarf, Mary!!! OF COURSE you should immediately go back and get it! You did, didn't you? PERFECT!

I like dressing/accessorizing for the liturgical year, too. It can be a lot of fun, and of course a neat scarf with some fun earrings is just perfect!!! I can't wait to pull out something ROSE for this Sunday!!!!! My maternity wardrobe is a little limited though...may have to get creative and see if I can find a nice scarf....and apparently I need to go shopping with Mary!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version