Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: New Christmas Books - Published 2012 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 11:46pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Last year we had a fun thread reviewing NEW Christmas picture books (New Christmas Books - Published 2011). Let's see what we can do this year. I've been doing some Amazon looking for new and upcoming publications and feel like the pickings of quality new contributions might be slim in comparison to last year. I'm hoping that is not the case.

I did read a copy of Tomie dePaola's new book - The Birds of Bethlehem. It was okay but not one I am excited about. I liked the idea of telling it from the perspective of birds, but the colored bird pairings was odd - I didn't get it, kind of strange. I was hoping it would be birds somehow associated with the Christmas legends. Interested if anyone else has read it and what you think.

I have The Christmas Tugboat reserved from the library. Should be in on Friday.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Oh great reminder! I put those on hold Mary and found some others to try too. I'll revisit after a trip to the library!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
Last year we had a fun thread reviewing NEW Christmas picture books (New Christmas Books - Published 2011). Let's see what we can do this year. I've been doing some Amazon looking for new and upcoming publications and feel like the pickings of quality new contributions might be slim in comparison to last year. I'm hoping that is not the case.

It seems to be slim pickings in my eyes, too. My library just ordered "The Twelve Burps of Christmas."

Quote:
I did read a copy of Tomie dePaola's new book - The Birds of Bethlehem. It was okay but not one I am excited about. I liked the idea of telling it from the perspective of birds, but the colored bird pairings was odd - I didn't get it, kind of strange. I was hoping it would be birds somehow associated with the Christmas legends. Interested if anyone else has read it and what you think.

I thought the book was tired. The birds, frankly, are ugly. And half the book has every other page with just those birds, so not appealing. The rest of the illustrations are typical dePaola, but they don't look new. They look like they are taken from his previous books. This and his "Song of St. Francis" have lost the original sparkle that was the appeal of DePaola to me.

I didn't think the story was trying to be a legend, but just telling the story of the Nativity through the birds' eyes, and how they observed the the great excitement and then wanted to be a participants. While it's not overtly one of the legends of Christmas, it does incorporate the tradition that while most of mankind didn't greet their Saviour, the rest of creation recognized and adored him.

But it's not one we'll add to our home library.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:

That isn't even in our library, so I just requested them to carry it.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mary's Song by Lee Bennett Hopkins is one I'm riding the fence. I'm completely in love with the illustrations, and as a mother, I identify with Mary's sentiments. She is wanting quiet and alone time with her newborn child. She tells of the joy and celebration by the shepherds and animals on recognizing and adoring their Saviour.

One of my favorite pages is "I wonder what will become of him, my sweet innocent babe." and the illustrations show a small toddler, a young boy, and then Christ the King with the Sacred Heart. VERY CATHOLIC.

But where I ride the fence is whether or not these are truly sentiments Mary would have? The final page is my least favorite, "Today--birth of him. My baby boy."

But while Mary would feel maternal love, from the moment she said "Fiat" she knew she was part of God's plan. So there were be a tearing of her heart from Day One -- her baby, but not her baby. He has a bigger purpose.

ETA: I'm just wondering Mary who was sinless and had no effects of original sin, would this be an accurate portrayal? Is it a sign of selfishness?

So maybe it's just how it's written, because the underlying message shows that tug of war -- Almost a glimpse of Mary greets her Son during the Way of the Cross. "Her" son, yet not!

I have yet to read it to my boys to see if they like it.

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Jenn---
I haven't read the book but I agree with your sentiments. I left Midnight Mass last year quit upset when the chior director and a soloist did a rendition of Mary Did You Know? at Holy Communion.

I have the same conflicted feelings about this song. I don't think she was as clueless as this song tries to portray, regardless if she actually knew exactly what was going to happen.

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

O.K. ladies, I'll be the odd one out.

We got our copy of The Birds of Bethlehem over the weekend and to be honest I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to reading it with my little boys especially. I know the boys will appreciate the colorfulness of simple drawings. I enjoyed the color pairing of the birds and at the end the two white birds over the nativity scene. The other thing I enjoyed was the almost recap feel of the story. We've read all of DePaola's books and this almost felt like an attempt to bring them together in a very simple way. Because my target audience is very young this is actually appealing to me.

Now, along with this book I ordered A King James Christmas It is basically scripture put into a nice lay out filled with beautiful artwork and mosaics by classical artist as well as the editor (her work is quiet nice too).

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 11:50am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Jenny, I also think really young ones would enjoy it more. I was looking for more of a detailed story - it is very simple, which is appealing to a younger crowd. I almost think of it in the "learning colors" category for the reason you mention.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I liked the simple illustrations and the story... but it was just a little odd how the story ended abruptly on the last page. It felt cut off at the end.

But I can see how a little one learning colors would love this book.
I also like that it would be easy and fun to turn this into a craft project- making a set of the little birds based on the shape in the book and practicing coloring them. great for preschool!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

StephanieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote StephanieA

Has anyone seen "Christmas Angels" by Else Wenz-Vietor ?
It looks cute....but I'm not into sappy.
Any thoughts?

Blessings,
Stephanie
Back to Top View StephanieA's Profile Search for other posts by StephanieA

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 11:08pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

StephanieA wrote:
Has anyone seen "Christmas Angels" by Else Wenz-Vietor ?
It looks cute....but I'm not into sappy.
Any thoughts?

Stephanie, I'm not familiar with this book, but have seen another Christmas one she illustrated. I reviewed that one here. Since this isn't really a new book (even with the 2008 reprint here) I'm betting it is sweet and not sappy. It has to be quite old (Else died in 1973) so I figure it is probably mid century. I love the nostalgic look and that makes me think it is quality reading. Tried all our local libraries and no one has a copy unfortunately.

Our Domestic Church

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 11:44pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I haven't been able to see the book so this is just going on what was said here.

"Today--birth of him. My baby boy."

Even knowing he is more, would it really be selfish to say.. *at this moment* He's my baby boy.

Matt 6:34 Be not therefore solicitous for tomorrow; for the morrow will be solicitous for itself. Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:
MaryM wrote:

That isn't even in our library, so I just requested them to carry it.

It is a nice book. Tells a story of a girl who rides the tugboat with her captain father to pick up the Rockefeller Center Tree and tow it down the Hudson. It is modern day setting, based on real experience (author is the tugboat captain). Like I said it is nice, but not super special for me.

Our Domestic Church

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Yes and Tugboat is a longer picture book. I no my two year old won't sit for it, and not sure the four year old would either.

Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2012 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

On looking through Amazon for newly published books I came across
The Sparkle Box

It wasn't at the library so I took a chance and ordered it. So glad I did!

I wrote a review and posted a picture (the book comes with a little something!) on my blog

Our Sparkle Box

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2012 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

KackyK wrote:
On looking through Amazon for newly published books I came across
The Sparkle Box

It wasn't at the library so I took a chance and ordered it. So glad I did!

I wrote a review and posted a picture (the book comes with a little something!) on my blog

Our Sparkle Box

Sounds great, Kacky! Did you request our library to carry this?

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2012 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Who Built the Stable?: A Nativity Poem - Ashley Bryan
Only had time to read it pretty quickly at the local bookstore. Just requested it for a more in depth read. I liked it - liked the rhyme and cadence. Told as if a young boy offered the stable to Mary and Joseph. He is a shepherd boy who also had apprenticed as a carpenter. Love the connection they make at the end when he looks in baby Jesus' eyes:

The boy looked in the infant’s eyes
And in his heart he knew
The babe would be a carpenter
He’d be a shepherd too.

Our Domestic Church

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 7:08am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Jenn I haven't requested it. I don't go to PW libraries. I know they have since changed the policy but ever since they were charging per book per hold I started up with Cville. But I haven't requested with them either. I'm just lazy on that.   

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

KackyK wrote:
Jenn I haven't requested it. I don't go to PW libraries. I know they have since changed the policy but ever since they were charging per book per hold I started up with Cville. But I haven't requested with them either. I'm just lazy on that.   

Well, good to know! all this time I was SURE you were requesting books at PW! Now I know.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I'll be requesting this one.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 13 2012 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

We enjoyed The Christmas Tugboat too! Not a total favorite, but a good book!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version