Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: prepared lessons Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I share your enthusiasm, Becky! Like you, when I feel like things are a little stale, or lacking, I enjoy challenging myself with a little inspiration. Sounds like you're well on your way to setting up a habit of preparation that builds on the valuable plans you set up!

I'm not sure if you have, or are aware, of the Eve Anderson DVD's that Perimeter School has made available? They are such extraordinary resources. In particular, the Narration Study DVD was so helpful to me. I felt our narrations were rich already, but I was blown away after I saw Eve Anderson's narration example. And one of the things I was struck by was how prepared she was, and how similar her narration leadership followed the pattern of a Socratic discussion!! Her example really helped me grow in the habit of preparing for lessons! You can order the DVD's here, but I'm pretty sure their cart is still broken, so you'll probably have to call and place an order if you're interested.

Another resource that was extraordinarily helpful to me was listening to a CD of a conference talk (given at Mary's conference in Denver a few years ago) - Socrates Meets the Homeschool Mom given by Cathie Baier. It's another great shot in the arm with some really helpful practical points on preparing the lesson. Because Charlotte Mason's narration and Classical Education's Socratic Discussion are so similar (there ARE some differences though), you'll find a lot of overlap and common points and Cathie makes the ideas very, very useable!

These two resources: the Eve Anderson DVD on narration as well as Cathie's CD talk on Socrates Meets the Homeschool Mom would make a great little mini-at-home-retreat for any homeschooling mom! Watch them. Take notes. Consider how you can apply some of these ideas in your own home. Make more notes. Identify areas you may be setting yourself up for failure right now in terms of making some of these ideas work. Identify ways around that so you can set yourself up for success. Identify areas of self-discipline you may need to stretch toward. Just think what a fantastic mini-retreat this could make!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Oh thank you Jen! I will check these out.   

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Becky Parker wrote:
I am really enjoying this thread. The timing is perfect. For me, when life starts to feel a little "burned out" the call to "take arms" is a real boost!    This thread, and this Bravewriter blog post are my "call to arms" lately!

Thanks again for the great blog post Caroline and for bringing it here, Amanda!

You are welcome, Becky. I'm so glad these discussions have sparked so much interest and contributions, as its an area I had trouble finding much information about when I started looking. This, combined with the hard books discussion and blog posts, have been a call to arms to me as well. A challenge, really, to make our homeschool better. I like your point about planning vs preparation. I'm much better at the yearly picture than the term and weekly, and day to day planning, set up, and prep.   Let's pray for each other to more fully implement and carry out our plans.

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

AmandaV wrote:
    Let's pray for each other to more fully implement and carry out our plans.

Excellent idea!    Count on me to keep you in prayer, and I could really, really use it too!

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 6:06am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Jen, for some reason, the links above aren't working for me. I can get to the Perimeter School link, but I can't get anywhere else. So if I wanted to call to order, I don't know what the number is. For "Socrates Meets the Homeschool Mom" I only get a blank screen.
Any thoughts on if there is another way I can access these sites?

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I am so sorry about the links, Becky!

Perimeter School's website hasn't been working for some time, so the only page you can get to is the one I linked. From there, if you're interested, you can call and order the Eve Anderson DVD. There is a set of 3, or you can order individually.

And...I fixed the link to Socrates Meets the Homeschool Mom.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 25 2014 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Bumping this up!

How did everyone do with preparing the lesson last year?

I'm adding my little "cheat sheet" that I keep on a post-it on my clipboard - it helps me walk a prepared lesson through:

Review previous reading
Prepare for today’s reading —> vocabulary, geography/map
Read —> slowly and distinctly
Narrate as part of the group

Since this conversation, I've really been paying attention more and noticing how many books benefit from the prepared lesson! How about you? What are you preparing?

Something else I really tried to embrace was also inspired by the Eve Anderson DVDs - I really made an effort to prepare ALL our common lessons, including nature study lessons (pictures of a prepared nature note booking session are here) and art lessons, which meant sometimes staggering them in places in the day so that I would have time to prepare. An example is our art lessons. I try to complete these after lunch because I can take 15 - 20 minutes to go through our book and set up. (We have always used and enjoyed Artisitic Pursuits, and I find I use it more consistently if I prepare the lesson -- duh, right?). I skim through the lesson, gather all our paper and media, set it up in an attractive way on the table, review to see if there is anything else that will be needed, AND I set up a little play center for the baby so that I'll have "baby distraction tools" at the ready while the big kids complete the art lesson. 15 - 20 minutes tops! But the time investment is so worthwhile!

Share other ways you're preparing the lesson so that we can all be inspired and work on setting up or firming up this habit as we begin our years!!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version