Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Marian Hymns Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 02 2006 at 11:34pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

Alice posted about singing Marian hymns w/her children on her blog. At Mass we sing Immaculate Mary & Hail Holy Queen, but we would like to learn more traditional Marian Hymns. Can you give me a place to start?

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2006 at 11:56pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

We love the Salve Regina, Sing of Mary, pure and lowly, and O Sanctissima. Sing of Mary is one of my favorite Marian hymns. It's sung so gently and recounts her holy life so beautifully.

I bought the Adoremus Hymnal and CD from Ignatius Press. We have learned so many beautiful hymns with this resource.

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2006 at 7:18am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

My favorite has to be Lovely Lady Dressed in Blue. So sweet.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 03 2006 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Here's an older thread on the topic.

Daughters of St. Paul have two great cds Handmaiden of the Lord I & II that have great traditional music.

Adoremus Hymnal CDs as mentioned in the thread above.

Non Nobis Domine was directed by my mother some years ago. It's not musical perfection, but a good collection of hymns for the Liturgical Year, with some very traditional hymns for Mary.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 03 2006 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Besides just the cds that I suggested so you could listen and learn, some traditional Marian hymns:

The simple Gregorian chant of
Ave Maria
Salve Regina
Regina Coeli (particularly in this Easter season)

And like Maddie suggested
O Sanctissima
Sing of Mary (love that one)
Hail Holy Queen Enthroned Above

Marihalojen, is there a hymn attached to "Lovely Lady Dressed in Blue"? I love that poem. You might want to find a nice version of "Ave Maris Stella" for your little homeschool.

Some book sources for some Marian hymns:

Around the Year with the Trapp Family has some lovely old hymns. This .txt version won't have the musical notation, though. You'll have to find a used copy. Try Bookfinder.com.

An excellent collection of hymns is Cantate et Iubilate Deo. I can't praise this book enough, as it have historical and theological explanations for each hymn, all the verses, Latin and English translations, and lovely 2-color illustrations. My only criticism is that it has melody line only. The publisher has in the works an accompaniment version, but it's been put on hold, so no expected date yet. I keep asking.

The St. Gregory Hymnal and Catholic Choir Book is available in two different versions. Abridged from the 1920 version, in spiral bound and Reprint of the 1920 version in entirety. If you don't need Mass parts, the first is fine. I have used it for many, many years. This hymnal is nice because it has traditional Latin hymns, many in 4 part harmony. You will be surprised how easy it is to teach harmony to the kids and have your own Trapp Family sing along.

Adoremus Hymnal has many Marian hymns:
Alma Redemptoris Mater
Ave Maria
Ave, maris stella
Ave, Regina Caelorum
Concordi laetitia
Daily, daily sing to Mary
Haily, holy Queen enthroned above
Hail, Queen of heaven, the ocean star
Immaculate Mary
Maiden, yet a mother
Mary the Dawn
O most holy one
O Sanctissima (same as above)
Regina caeli
Save Mater misericordiae
Save Regina
Sing of Mary
Sounds of joy have put to flight
The God whom earth and sky and sea

For chant accompaniment (it's not ideal for pure chant, but helpful I have Liber Cantualis Comitante Organo but as you can see on this page, there are other choices. The one I mention has several of the Masses and then some of the basic simple chants. It's a good volume.

Now, if you're fortunate enough to find a copy of the old Pius X Hymnal...you are set for life.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2006 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Jenn,

I had only known it as a hymn, our church in Denver played it every Sunday. My sisters and I learned to play it on the piano for my father, but the only version I've found on line is not sheet music but a preview of a CD by Sr. Mary Lucy Astuto.

I used to have the Handmaiden of the Lord I & II and can second the recommendation, they're beautiful.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 03 2006 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

marihalojen wrote:
Jenn,

I had only known it as a hymn, our church in Denver played it every Sunday. My sisters and I learned to play it on the piano for my father, but the only version I've found on line is not sheet music but a preview of a CD by Sr. Mary Lucy Astuto.

That's lovely, thanks. Jen. That link reminds me of another favorite, although not traditional Marian hymn, Hail Mary, Gentle Woman. My youngest brother had colic the first few months of his life, and I had the bedroom next to his...paperthin walls. My mother was up all night rocking, nursing and singing him to calm him. The only song that calmed him was "Hail Mary, Gentle Woman"...but just the Hail Mary part. My mother must have sung rosaries every night.

But I love it as a lullaby, and sang it to my son, too. He loved it. It's just a calm, peaceful song.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 04 2006 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Another Marian cd that might fit the bill, Marian Classics, Vol. 6 Cathedral Singers, Richard Proulx director.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2006 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Yesterday I was doing my own little Marian hymn session and came across a lovely hymn, Mary the Dawn. I wrote about it here. It's new to me...but it's actually a very old and popular hymn.

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 05 2006 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

My favorite is the medieval Ave in four part harmony...it's on the Lingua Angelica CD, and on Libby's St. Greg CD. The kids play it as a quartet, too.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version