Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Marian May Day Baskets Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 30 2006 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Cottage Blessings has a great post on putting a Marian twist on the tradition of May baskets. We are going to try to put some together today as well. I don't have a lot of baskets around the house so we are going to go a little smaller/simpler and make these woven paper heart baskets. Then put in a plastic rosary, holy card, Miraculous Medal and some flowers. Wish I could get some holy water from our Lourdes Marian Center - but it's closed today - maybe I'll have time in the morning and still be able to deliver them.

Thanks for the idea, Alice.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2006 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Mary, thank you so much for posting about this!

I wish I could see photos of your baskets. The woven hearts are so pretty and easy, and could be made in any number of colors. My children would really like to try them out, I'm sure, perhaps for the Feasts of the Sacred and Immaculate Hearts.

Tomorrow, we hope to make more elaborate baskets for the grandmothers, but we spent this afternoon fashioning small, simple baskets for the girls' friends using, as promised, materials from around the house. I just posted about it (The Plastic Cup Challenge), but will be putting up many more pictures later tonight.

The girls loved the idea of making something beautiful out of odds and ends, and I think they really managed to do so!

Thanks again, Mary. It is was so nice of you to start this thread!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2006 at 7:22pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Alice, can my kids come and do crafts at your house?

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2006 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Thanks for the Marian theme!! We're excited to do these. We've done May baskets for several years and it is such a great memory for the dc (little and big) when they get to ring the doorbell and run . We're looking forward to the additions honoring Mary and the Snickerdoodles we threw in the oven a little while ago. This year we're making something similar to ]this paper plate basket, only with different embellishments; probably Marian symbols and ribbons.

Wow....look at the star baskets

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 30 2006 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

momwise wrote:
Wow....look at the star baskets

Wow, those are beautiful. No time here though. Maybe another day.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2006 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

I wrote about the May Day Baskets we made for Little Flowers, yesterday. I only got around to adding the photos today, May Day Baskets. They are cone-shaped baskets and really quick and easy to make. They could be easily embellished with pictures of Mary, etc. We made foam flowers, as my youngest picked the flowers in our backyard a week or two ago. All of my children decided to make more today, as they would like to canvas our neighborhood tomorrow.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

theNetSmith
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Posted: May 01 2006 at 6:55am | IP Logged Quote theNetSmith

MaryM wrote:

Back to Top View theNetSmith's Profile Search for other posts by theNetSmith Visit theNetSmith's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2006 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Stunningly beautiful, Mary!!!!!! Yours are lovely too, Christine--so simple and beautiful.

Gwen, the paper plate baskets are great, and the star baskets beyond belief!

Sarah, you can come craft here anytime!!!

I posted photos of the baskets my girls made out of items we found around the house. Here is the link to th specific post: Today's Marian May Basket Photos.

The funny part is that we had been to the craft store to buy lovely baskets and other embellishments last week. My original plan for the Marian May Basket post was completely different and far more elaborate, but it occured to me that posting photos of planned and extensive baskets might be pretty, but not necessarily all that useful, especially for moms who might want to pull the project together in a hurry and have baskets for May Day. That's how the "plastic cup" idea came about. Everyone has these things around the house, and children are every bit as happy with simple and inexpensive projects--more so even because I would have been more likely to "direct" what they did with the expensive materials (especially knowing the results would be going into the blog : ) ).

Right now, my eight year old daughter is using our craft store finds to pack and decorate a basket for Grandma. We'll be posting the results later. Maybe some moms and children will use the idea to make "Marian Mother's Day" baskets in time for May 14th! I am hoping we can bring these baskets to the two wonderful Dominican sisters who grace our parish as well!

Cottage Blessings
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2006 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote Christine

Mary and Alice, your baskets are beautiful! I really like the idea of turning woven hearts into baskets. We've usually made them as wall decorations for St. Valentine's Day. I wish I had thought of making Marian May Day baskets with the Little Flowers. You ladies always have the best ideas.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2006 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Christine wrote:
I wish I had thought of making Marian May Day baskets with the Little Flowers. You ladies always have the best ideas.

Thanks so much!

And, you know, it's really not too late. Send the Little Flowers moms an email telling them to have the girls put a Marian holy card or other religious item at the top of each basket. Those vibrant flowers already look perfect for honoring Our Lady!

Cottage Blessings

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2006 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote Christine

Alice, thank you for the suggestion. I e-mailed the Little Flower families.

Pretty Lilla Rose

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2006 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

This is such a lovely and inspiring thread! I just posted a picture (at my blog) of the May basket the boys and I made for my mother today.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 02 2006 at 4:12am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Just an update - My two youngest had such fun with the Marian May Day deliveries. We made the basket above on Sunday and then took the idea to our co-op Monday morning where we made a few more. We delivered them on the way home and they were having so much fun being sneaky that we had to come home and make a couple more to deliver on our way to a baseball game. My dd loved making and decorating them and ds loved ringing the doorbell and running. We only got caught once. One little boy brought his basket to CCD tonight to show his teacher. His mom was talking to some of us moms about how someone had delivered it this afternoon. She was trying to figure out who it was since they didn't see anyone or any car and they got to the door pretty quickly. I just went along with her amazement.   

And I also want to say that this is making me crazy to get a digital camera. Alice requested a picture and fortunately this was a pretty “flat” project so I could scan it, but it would be great to have a digital for things like this. I’m loving seeing everyone’s pictures.

Our Domestic Church

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2006 at 7:06am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

How wonderful, Mary!

And I am looking forward to the day you get that digital camera. Hmm, Mother's Day is coming up . . . .

Cottage Blessings

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 02 2006 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
And I also want to say that this is making me crazy to get a digital camera. Alice requested a picture and fortunately this was a pretty “flat” project so I could scan it, but it would be great to have a digital for things like this. I’m loving seeing everyone’s pictures.

I agree with you...I so want a digital camera! The pics are so beautiful. Mary, I would love to see pictures of your projects!

AliceGunther wrote:
And I am looking forward to the day you get that digital camera. Hmm, Mother's Day is coming up . . . .

Brilliant, Alice! Hmmm....how can I pull off that one?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2006 at 7:25am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

JennGM wrote:

Send your husband to Costco if they have them in your area!

Cottage Blessings

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2006 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote momwise

MaryM wrote:
Alice requested a picture and fortunately this was a pretty “flat” project so I could scan it

Oh...that's how you did it. I wish I'd have thought of that before we delivered out paper plate baskets. I know what you mean about the digital camera. It's always at the bottom of the list though. The budget never makes it down to the bottom

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 02 2006 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

alicegunther wrote:
JennGM wrote:

Jenn,
Affirmative. I got mine at the Costco in Chantilly. It's just like Alice's. They're there .

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 02 2006 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Elizabeth wrote:
alicegunther wrote:

Jenn,
Affirmative. I got mine at the Costco in Chantilly. It's just like Alice's. They're there .

Well, I missed the boat. Seems Costco isn't carrying Sony digital cameras right now...and even the local ones don't have them in stock anymore. Used to, but not now. Gotta do some research for another one.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2008 at 6:48am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Bumping this up as May is coming up.

That picture of Mary M's is awesome. And all the other ideas. I came here to get an idea - now I have so many. I am delegating the choice to dd!

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version