Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: cookbook: Nourishing Traditions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 27 2009 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

I've had my copy of NT for about four years now. I have also found it at times overwhelming and I've gone back and forth on putting the effort into making NT-type foods. Since then, I have discovered I have celiac (gluten intolerance) and also have read "Good Calories, Bad Calories." Now THERE'S a book that will blow your mind, turning all the popular advice about eating a low-fat, low-cholesteral, high-carbohydrate diet on its ear. It really complements and completes NT from a scientific, rather than just folk wisdom, standpoint.

I do add extra fat to my diet. Eliminating almost all grains (a few cheats here and there) and all sugar (I use stevia regularly or honey rarely) has really helped my energy levels and such.

Have you all seen the blog "Organic and Thrifty"? It's been a big help. There is also a menu mailer type service on another website, can't remember the name!, that is for a NT type diet. The biggest problem is cost! And finding the time to prepare the extras in advance.

AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 27 2009 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote AnaB

LeeAnn,

I have celiac as well! I was diagnosed almost a year ago. I went gluten free but found I was still having alot of bloating, swelling, headaches and weight gain.

Since then I've tried to do more of an SCD (Specific Carb Diet) which is no grains or sweeteners other than honey. I do have an occasional white chocolate mocha cafe or rice with black beans or chocolate.

I have the NT book also and agree with alot of it, but I just couldn't do organs! I do make my own yogurt (whole milk & half and half) and use butter, coconut oil, and olive oil. We eat our own home grown eggs daily. But with all the traveling we do, I find it very hard to eat this way as we have to eat out while on the road. There are a few places with gluten free menus, but I find that I'm still getting "glutened" enough to where I'm not violently sick when exposed but I'm in the swelling, weight gaining, head aching cycle all over again.

I never connected my neurological symptoms with a food allergy, but it is amazing when you remove these items, how much better my body does. I will check out the blog too. I'm trying to keep track of all these other book suggestions.

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2009 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

For me this book was worth it's wait gold for this tidbit alone -

"The rare St. Thereses on our planet usually lead celibate and contemplative lives. But most of us were born to live and work in the world and share the responsibility for producing healthy children."

Eating in a way that suits your vocation!! Totally new concept for me that helped me get over my "philosophical" reasons for eating the way I was. I thought I was eating a "healthy" diet but it was not healthy for me.

I love this book - I love the 188 footnotes and all the small antidotes throughtout the pages of the book. I love the simple beet soup and basic creamy dressing and soaking my oats with a dab of whey. I now love eating a small hamburger with a large portion of a grated raw salad. Oh the meatballs with made ground lamb are so good and...chicken stock - oh how many winters of pneumonia and other respiratory infections did I suffer through before I found the wonders of chicken stock!!!

I did not come away with the impression that is was a high fat diet or that you had to eat in any particular way at all but rather that you have choices when it comes to food - she outlines what have traditionally been known as nutrient dense foods. If you are going to consume fats - here are the good, bad, and the ugly -so to speak. If you are going to eat meat you might consider x, y, and z.

This book changed a lot about the way we eat but I never concerned myself with doing "everything" in the book - dh and I do what we can - when we can - but I think it is important that both the preparation and end product is enjoyable. We like to make a lot of our own food - from cultured dairy products and cheese to our very own own maple syrup to batches of homemade lemon squares.

The gathering, preparing, and eating of food is how our family spends time together and I think we've tried to make it enjoyable and meaningful. So whether dh and the children are fishing for Stripers at the Jersey shore, picking up milk from our friend who takes care of our cows, spending the day at the our CSA, or visting a blueberry farm - we are forming connections and learning a lot! I think that what has become most important to us is knowing the where, who's, and how's of our food and being part of that process whenever possible.

And we do get some things from the grocery store - not everything is organic - I call my approach -the NO MORE GUILT way of eating. Blessings on our food (and all those who help bring it to our table)!

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2009 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

donnalynn wrote:
For me this book was worth it's wait gold for this tidbit alone -

"The rare St. Thereses on our planet usually lead celibate and contemplative lives. But most of us were born to live and work in the world and share the responsibility for producing healthy children."

Eating in a way that suits your vocation!! Totally new concept for me that helped me get over my "philosophical" reasons for eating the way I was. I thought I was eating a "healthy" diet but it was not healthy for me.

I love this book - I love the 188 footnotes and all the small antidotes throughtout the pages of the book. I love the simple beet soup and basic creamy dressing and soaking my oats with a dab of whey. I now love eating a small hamburger with a large portion of a grated raw salad. Oh the meatballs with made ground lamb are so good and...chicken stock - oh how many winters of pneumonia and other respiratory infections did I suffer through before I found the wonders of chicken stock!!!

I did not come away with the impression that is was a high fat diet or that you had to eat in any particular way at all but rather that you have choices when it comes to food - she outlines what have traditionally been known as nutrient dense foods. If you are going to consume fats - here are the good, bad, and the ugly -so to speak. If you are going to eat meat you might consider x, y, and z.

This book changed a lot about the way we eat but I never concerned myself with doing "everything" in the book - dh and I do what we can - when we can - but I think it is important that both the preparation and end product is enjoyable. We like to make a lot of our own food - from cultured dairy products and cheese to our very own own maple syrup to batches of homemade lemon squares.

The gathering, preparing, and eating of food is how our family spends time together and I think we've tried to make it enjoyable and meaningful. So whether dh and the children are fishing for Stripers at the Jersey shore, picking up milk from our friend who takes care of our cows, spending the day at the our CSA, or visting a blueberry farm - we are forming connections and learning a lot! I think that what has become most important to us is knowing the where, who's, and how's of our food and being part of that process whenever possible.

And we do get some things from the grocery store - not everything is organic - I call my approach -the NO MORE GUILT way of eating. Blessings on our food (and all those who help bring it to our table)!

Donna, your post is inspiring. I'm waiting for someone to return NT to the library as I'm next in line. I'm not ready to buy it yet, but I am ready to re-read it and see if I like it better this time.

I love what you said about NO GUILT!

So qu. for you: Are you eating raw or organ meats???

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 30 2009 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

We have been drinking raw milk for years which I think counts as a "raw" animal product - as far as other kinds of raw meat and fish - it just doesn't really appeal.

But...I remember as a child when my mother would get ground beef from the local butcher (as opposed to the local grocery store) it was a great treat to have a little tiny patty of the raw meat sprinkled with salt.

I do not have any real experience with organ meats as far as preparing them or even what they are "supposed" to taste like. We also have trouble getting some of the more unusual "parts" back from the butcher that our friend uses. Our friend who raises his pasture fed animals is not yet licensed to do his own butchering - so he has to use this one guy and where we really don't want to cause too much trouble we did kind of complain when the lamb we paid for only came back with three legs!

I really wanted the suet from the beef we just got this past fall but - no luck - I want to make authentic mince meat pies at least once!!

Every once in a while I try to get my courage up to give a go at the "Liver Dumpling Soup" in NT but as soon as a read the "remove any veins from the liver" I get a bit queasy.   

My dh really enjoys reading any cookbook by Hugh Fearnley who writes the "River Cottage" cookbooks. We have three of his books and there is not much that man hasn't eaten! He seems to be an advocate of fresh local and/or organic food whenever possible but he makes desserts with good old sugar and so his overall style probably best matches our own family's approach to food.

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2009 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Donna, are you still around? Dh and I recently watched the entire Hugh Fearnley series (I have relatives in England who recorded it and sent it to us). Wowie! They are totally inspiring.

Anyway, the last time we bought pastured beef, I asked for and received the suet, because I want to make real Christmas pudding for my mom this year. But now I have this enormous lump of fat the size of a full ham roast in my freezer, and I don't have a clue what to do with it!

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 09 2009 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

There is some sort of energy bar that is an Native American name and starts with a P that people make with the suet. Maybe it will come to me.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2009 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Lindsay ... pemmican

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 09 2009 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Mary G wrote:
Lindsay ... pemmican

Yes!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2009 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

CrunchyMom wrote:
Mary G wrote:
Lindsay ... pemmican

Yes!
I've never made it as it sounds kind of .... ! I have tried real mincemeat, which uses suet, but it didn't turn out right. I'd like to try Christmas pudding, though. Books, did you make the pudding?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2009 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

Bookswithtea wrote:
Donna, are you still around? Dh and I recently watched the entire Hugh Fearnley series (I have relatives in England who recorded it and sent it to us). Wowie! They are totally inspiring.

Anyway, the last time we bought pastured beef, I asked for and received the suet, because I want to make real Christmas pudding for my mom this year. But now I have this enormous lump of fat the size of a full ham roast in my freezer, and I don't have a clue what to do with it!

Yes! After one fried computer and trying to get ready for a trip and then the actual trip to New Orleans and then one nasty bout of flu after we got back...I am here.... whew!

Now about that suet - apparently some places sell any beef fat as suet but the suet for cooking I believe comes from specific places on the animal - on a quick search I found this blurb from "Joy of Cooking" here.

If you think the suet might be suitable for cooking I'd start googling!

Here's an intersting bit about mincemeat here

And this blog looks promising.

Or here's another.

I'd poke around and see what looks like something you'd like to attempt. I think you raise some kind of poultry, right? I have found that our silly chickens do not have the most discerning palettes - if a grand cooking experiment goes awry I figure the food justs gets recycled into eggs!   

If all else fails you could make winter treats for wild birds.

I'd love to know how it goes!

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2009 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

I've had the book for ages too and use it like I do all my other cookbooks take the good leave the bad , to wierd , to much ..behind
I haven't a clue how you gals do the quote thing but Elizabeth wrote " I use more olive oil than Sally would like but I do believe that olive oil is part of traditional nutrition for people of Italian descent."
and You should be Elizabeth . I too have Mediterranean roots and the diet is great especially for much of my lactose intolerance . Olive oil is very very healthy and infact when used raw and heated mildly promotes a healthy heart and good cholesterol .
I've just been reading more about the mediterranean diet now in middle age and I just happened to have connected with a lebanese cousin who is a great chef
my dh is total opposite of me his french /english heritage makes him mostly thrive on meat and potatoes even fruit where he loves pears , apples and the odd banana I love the papaya, pomegranit and mango .
Natlia I could so relate to you because if something is to complicated I just have to move on . God is simple not long and complicated . a good cookbook should be the same

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version