Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Pentecost Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 26 2006 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote LLMom

Any great ideas for a Pentecost celebration? I have to start planning early if I want to do anything.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2006 at 2:22am | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

You know I guess this is not typical, and I don't remember when or where our tradition came from exactly, but we always go through our wedding pictures with the kids on Pentecost. I make wedding soup and a white cake with a strawberry on end in the middle (like a flame) and we talk about Christ being the bridegroom and the Church being His bride. We discuss the symbolism of the wedding, marriage and purity as well as discussing what really happened (how Mom was so nervous she started wobbling and the Best Man had to hold her up, how Daddy dropped the ring, etc.) I get my dress out and my shoes. The kids ask questions and giggle and, so far, it has been one of those lovely, precious, intimate family moments that we look forward to sharing.

Probably not what you were looking for, but just thought I'd share. Now I am curious why we started this. I wonder if dh remembers?
Back to Top View MichelleW's Profile Search for other posts by MichelleW

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2006 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote Christine

A good friend of mine had a few CGS families over last year on Pentecost. She covered her table with a red tablecloth and served 12 different kinds of fruits. The twelve fruits of the Holy Spirit were listed on twelve little cards.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2006 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Christine wrote:
A good friend of mine had a few CGS families over last year on Pentecost. She covered her table with a red tablecloth and served 12 different kinds of fruits. The twelve fruits of the Holy Spirit were listed on twelve little cards.

Christine, thanks for sharing this idea! It is simple, yet meaningful.
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2006 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote momwise

We sometimes do the 12-Fruit Salad. We grill and I serve cookies or cake with red sugar tongues of flame or the outline of doves. I hang white paper doves in the trees out back and from the ceiling over the dining room table.

Before dinner I make 7 red paper flames and put a Gift of the Spirit on each one. Then I cover the name of the gift with a smaller orange or pink flame. After dinner we pray to the Holy Spirit and then choose a flame (I have 7 dc, so it works out great). The kids each pray for their gifts during night prayers all year. I can't believe it's almost time to choose a new gift!!

Dd and I (and the younger boys)wear red to Mass if we can remember.

eschuetter
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 27 2006 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote eschuetter

I was always taught to think of Pentecost as the birthday of the Church --

I think I'm going to bake a birthday cake -- the candles on top will have "tounges of fire"...

I love the "fruit" ideas as well.

Back to Top View eschuetter's Profile Search for other posts by eschuetter

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2006 at 4:54am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Pentecost is such a beautiful Feast. I love all the ideas here!

This year my brother's birthday falls on Pentecost Sunday, so we'll have a big family dinner. I'm planning a cookout, and I like the 12-fruits idea. In honor of the Apostles I'm planning to make 12 cupcakes + 1 extra for Mary. I have a cupcake stand that displays 13 cupcakes so there they'll go, Mary at the top, hopefully with red candles, and I'll hang a paper dove over the display.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2006 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Oops, I just posted the message below to the Easter traditions thread.
Here is what I wrote:
I am inspired for celebrating Pentecost.
A few ideas:
Wear red-our previous pastor always asked us to wear red to Mass on Pentecost.
Make a dove mobile. On each dove write the gifts of the Holy Spirit.
Read Acts (the part about the coming of the Holy Spirit- ?chapter 2? I really should just look it up!)
Make a "birthday" cake, put a candle on that can't be blown out.
Make a "Holy Spirit" kite and fly it.
Some ideas from looking at other sites:
Sing hymns appropriate for the Holy Spirit- all I can think of are "Come Holy Ghost, Creator Blest," and "Breathe on me breath of God."
When making a cake, use 7 candles stuck in 7 red life savers/outline a dove on the cake with red-hot cinnamon candies for the tongues of fire/have 12 strawberry halves set into the frosting, around the side of the cake.
Trying to think of something to draw a parallel between the Tower of Babel and the Gift of Tongues, or something to do with foreign languages, but am coming up with nothing. Maybe make a banner or flag to put on porch with something "religious" on it in a few different languages, and use white and red?
I hope some of these are helpful!
Oh, and don't forget the Holy Spirit novena.
God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 29 2006 at 2:43am | IP Logged Quote Erin

MichelleW wrote:
You know I guess this is not typical, and I don't remember when or where our tradition came from exactly, but we always go through our wedding pictures with the kids on Pentecost

Michelle,
Well this was the birth of your family. Maybe it has something to do with the birth of the Church.
My husband proposed to me on Pentecost Sunday    

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2006 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I like to make a sweet roll recipe I have and shape the dough into birds. You roll out the dough and cut a triangle for each bird. Cut the top point off and roll it into a head. Stick that to the same end of the triangle and make 3 or 4 cuts to the other end to make it look like a tail with feathers. Raisins for eyes and an almond for a beak.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2006 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Can anyone suggest a book for children about Pentecost?

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2006 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Dawn wrote:

Who's keeping track of all the book ideas??

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 23 2006 at 6:23am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Dawn wrote:

Well, now I know one, thanks to Cay's Catholic Mosaic:

The Twelve Apostles ~ and I just requested a copy through my library's inter-library exchange system! Along with Cay's study guide, this will be perfect to read and talk about over the next couple of weeks.

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2006 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Right after I make this post, I have to get my novena to pray in preparation for Pentecost. The time between Ascension Thursday and Pentecost Sunday, while the Apostles waited with the Blessed Virgin Mary (who encouraged them, prepared them and shared her strong faith with them) is considered the first nine days of prayer, the first novena.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2006 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

I checked around a little to find out if there is a tradition of an   Octave for Pentecost.

I love the idea and practice of an Octave for Christmas and Easter because it gives us more time to soak up the prayer, music, customs and study of a feast.

There was at one time a Pentecost Octave with the octave being the time of more concentrated meditation of the 7 gifts of the Holy Spirit. I like that idea as well, because it affords 1 day per gift . However since Vatican II we have not officially celebrated an Octave for Pentecost. I don't see any reason why the domestic church can't extend the celebration and prayers.

In addition, the Ember days fall on the Wed, Fri and Sat following Pentecost. So for feasting, Mon and Tue (Whitsun Monday and Tuesday) would be the best days.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 01 2006 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

momwise wrote:
There was at one time a Pentecost Octave with the octave being the time of more concentrated meditation of the 7 gifts of the Holy Spirit. I like that idea as well, because it affords 1 day per gift . However since Vatican II we have not officially celebrated an Octave for Pentecost. I don't see any reason why the domestic church can't extend the celebration and prayers.

I like this idea...and all the other ones you've been posting, Gwen. I'm glad you've had some computer time!

Before Vatican II there were too many octaves, and the focus wanted to be on the most important feasts of the Liturgical year, Christmas and Easter. I do understand that, but I always feel the ending is so abrupt. One day of wearing red vestments and poof! to Ordinary Time.

But it's partly my perception that needs to be changed. I have to keep remembering "Ordinary time" doesn't mean dull and ordinary, but as in Ordinal, counting the weeks. If we look at all the weeks after Pentecost it's the time we use and build on the fruits and gifts of the Holy Spirit.

On the feast of Pentecost, the Holy Spirit comes down upon the Apostles and us and we are filled with the Holy Spirit. We cannot stay in the Upper Room. We have to go forth and know, love and serve God. That is what the Ordinary Time is for us: the manifestation of the Holy Spirit descending upon the Church. Here we learn, grow, and live with the graces left by the Holy Spirit.

Just rambling....

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2006 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote momwise

JennGM wrote:
We cannot stay in the Upper Room. We have to go forth and know, love and serve God. That is what the Ordinary Time is for us: the manifestation of the Holy Spirit descending upon the Church.

Ooooo--that's a good one Jenn! I plan to use that with the dc, especially since 2 were just confirmed last month. So in the days after Pentecost we will study and use the Gifts, but in the context of going forth from the Upper Room. I love it!!

Now what great ideas does everyone have for reinforcing and displaying the Gifts?

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 02 2006 at 12:05am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

The Von Trapp family always referred to Ordinary Time as "the Green Meadow"...can't remember exactly why, except for the green vestments, but I like the term. I never liked thinking of that period as just plain ORDINARY! Now I know its ordinAL, not just ordinary. Thanks for the illumination, Jenn.

Kelly in FL

PS Many great ideas. I especially like the wedding cake idea. What do you think they'll say at the grocery store bakery if I order a (very small) wedding cake and tell them it's for Pentecost...an Evangelical Moment, I do believe!
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 02 2006 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

momwise wrote:
Now what great ideas does everyone have for reinforcing and displaying the Gifts?

O.K. here's one: (I adapted this from Open Wednesday)

Wrap 7 small boxes with the gifts written inside them and open 1 each day, then discuss the meaning of each.

This will go especially well with my Pentecost activity, which is to write each gift on a toungue of flame (orange or red paper) and cover it with a smaller, yellow flame and have each chile pick one to pray for until the next Pentecost. We've done it for 4 years now and it's kind of interesting to see some of the dc get the same gift over 2-3 years. Oops, I see I wrote that idea above--well just consider yourself reminded

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: June 05 2006 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

In the Routines for Holy Week thread I mentioned buying a Pentecost mold from House on the Hill. My idea was to make a plain round cake and top it with a marzipan image. Well, after much trial and error I finally managed to get a "good" print with homemade marzipan. I didn't even think to take a picture, so Tim took it after we cut into the cake.

FYI, I don't know if it was user error (probably!) but things did not work out at all when the mold was dusted with powedered sugar or flour. The marzipan clung to the mold for dear life and I ended up with white blotches on what would come out. What finally worked was spraying a light coat of cooking spray on the mold. I am not a fan of cooking spray, but will definitely use it again for this!

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version