Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Books About Colors Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 23 2012 at 11:57pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I am really much beyond the "learn your colors" stage with my children. It's been a lot of years since those days so I hadn't really thought about it, but at the library the other day I saw a lovely new picture book - Baby Bear Sees Blue by Ashley Wolff. It is really a lovely book - love the illustrations. One of her picture books (Only the Cat Saw) was one of my first favorites as a new mom twenty some years ago!

Anyway, this new book was so lovely and got me thinking - what other quality picture books do you like for learning colors? I remember so many of them being rather twaddley - you know, characters from other book series placed in a "color" story or just photos of things of different colors. So what are the really nice ones?

I also like this one - Color, Color, Where Are You, Color?

And I've been wanting to see this new one. It is getting good editorial reviews and I like the look.
10 Hungry Rabbits: Counting & Color Concepts

We don't have a thread devoted to this topic and thought it might be helpful to those still with toddler/preschoolers.

So post your favorite color books.

Green - Laura Vaccaro Seeger
Planting a Rainbow - Lois Ehlert
Mouse Paint - Ellen Stoll Walsh

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 24 2012 at 12:55am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Your children might not be too old for this wonderful book of color poems: Hailstones and Halibut Bones

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 30 2012 at 10:05pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Saw that Ellie posted what lookes like a great "color" book on her bibliozealous blog - Magpie Magic: A Tale of Colorful Mischief by April Wilson

MaryM wrote:
And I've been wanting to see this new one. It is getting good editorial reviews and I like the look.
10 Hungry Rabbits: Counting & Color Concepts

Checked this one out to read - it is really sweet. Love the illustrations - combo of color and number learning.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 30 2012 at 10:19pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Another one I reviewed after I posted is:

Color Me a Rhyme by Jane Yolen

Each double page spread is a color with a photograph from nature which highlights that color. It is surrounded by various other words that could be names for that color (ex: blue - turquoise, azure, sky, sapphire, cerulean). There is also a haiku or other short poem about each color. All poems are nature oriented. It is a lovely book and I see a great nature project as something you could do as a follow up to reading it.

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 31 2012 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
Saw that Ellie posted what lookes like a great "color" book on her bibliozealous blog - Magpie Magic: A Tale of Colorful Mischief by April Wilson

I had seen Ellie's suggestion, and checked this out. My boys really, really loved this one. My little one went to bed with it a few times.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 31 2012 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
Another one I reviewed after I posted is:

Color Me a Rhyme by Jane Yolen

Each double page spread is a color with a photograph from nature which highlights that color. It is surrounded by various other words that could be names for that color (ex: blue - turquoise, azure, sky, sapphire, cerulean). There is also a haiku or other short poem about each color. All poems are nature oriented. It is a lovely book and I see a great nature project as something you could do as a follow up to reading it.

Following you and requesting all your recommendations. But this is the only one my library doesn't have. Rats.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 03 2012 at 10:21pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Well this got me on a color kick again so hope you don't mind me keeping it going. I thought I'd visit some of the oldies/classics of color that I frankly never saw when my kids were young.

Well, we did read Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do You See? - Eric Carle, but had forgotten it.

I never did really delve into many Leo Lionni books but see that he has a couple color themed ones which I had seen titles but not read. Both are interesting and come at the topic from a different angle. Worth adding to the list.
Little Blue and Little Yellow
A Color of His Own

And this one is super cute - an old Golden book from the classic pairing of Margaret Wise Brown and Alice Provensen. In addition to general color recognition is is very clever and exciting treatment of color mixing.
The Color Kittens by Margaret Wise Brown, illustrated by Alice Provensen

Our Domestic Church

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2012 at 9:27am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

Some of our favorites are:

White Rabbit' s Color Book by Alan Baker

The Mixed Up Chameleon by Eric Carle

Freight Train by Donald Crews

Blue Hat, Green Hat by Sandra Boynton

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2012 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Red Sings from Treetops is a year in color and features the wonderful Joyce Sidman...

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 05 2012 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

An Eye for Color is the true story about Josef Albers... the artist who worked with "the deceptions of color" very much in his work. Incidentally, it's a Bargain Book right now!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 21 2013 at 1:50am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Seasonal color picture book - Happy Easter. Really cute older book illustrated by Kurt Wiese (1952). I love his illustrations - classic mid century.

Our Domestic Church

pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2013 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

Red Yellow Blue: Colors in Art is a wonderful art book. It is an original German book, now available in English. The back of the book describes it as a fascinating discovery of the world of color in art. Children can investigate the topic of color by looking at famous paintings and art objects from the time of cave painting through modern art. It contains many illustrations, color experiments, games, and guessing games: a non-fiction book that invites you to participate. Ages 8 and up. The author has a German website. She has a Ph.D. in the arts (archaelogy, art history, and ethnology).

anitamarie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2013 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote anitamarie

We like this book Living Color.

Lots of interesting and unusual animals grouped by color.

Anita
Back to Top View anitamarie's Profile Search for other posts by anitamarie

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 21 2013 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Eva and Anita - both look great. I'm a fan of Steve Jenkins illustrations, but haven't seen that one. Got to check it out.

Our Domestic Church

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version