Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Laminator Decision Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 29 2012 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I've been so slow to pull the trigger on big purchases like laminators and binding machines. Right now if I laminate, Staples does it. I haven't been too pleased at their bad trimming, but otherwise it's fine.

But I have some projects coming up which will all need lamination, and schlepping to Staples each time isn't quite appealing. I don't think the cost savings will be great at having my own, but I do think the convenience will pay off.

There are tons of laminators, and something for home and cheap -- is it worth it? Like the Scotch laminator that goes on sale every once in a while. Any feedback?

Should I just forget a home laminator and get a pro machine to do it, and just trim myself?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Claire F
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 29 2012 at 11:07pm | IP Logged Quote Claire F

I have the Scotch laminator - got it in one of those sales on Amazon :). I haven't used it a ton, nor had it very long, so I can't speak to longevity. But it works just fine. I definitely love having one at home, so for me, it's been worth it.

I'm not really a connoisseur of lamination (hee hee), but for my purposes, the Scotch one works well.

ShannonJ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 29 2012 at 11:23pm | IP Logged Quote ShannonJ

I picked up the Scotch brand laminator on clearance at Walmart. Dh raised his eyebrows a bit at my excited squeal. Works wonderfully!

I do get the thicker laminating pouches (5ml instead of 3ml) for a sturdier end-product. I do need to let it warm up longer than the indicator light shows, but otherwise it works beeeaauutifully!

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2012 at 6:44am | IP Logged Quote jawgee

I have this laminator. DH got it for me when he found it on sale for $35. It works great - I use it all the time!

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2012 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I don't think Scotch has been perfect, but it's been more than fine for the price. I also think there probably has been some user error on my part when it comes to imperfections!! But I don't regret going the cheaper route because truly the imperfections are not bothersome to me.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 01 2012 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, thank you for all the feedback. I was hovering over the BUY button. Thanks for the tip about the 5 mil, which is what I did.

My big project right now is making prayer cards for the atrium. Looking forward to having this to use.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2012 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

Look out, once you make the purchase, you'll find yourself using your laminator all.the.time
Honestly, though, it's been such a useful tool for our homeschool. I don't know how we'd get by without it.

Enjoy!
Christine

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 01 2012 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I know you've already made your decision, but I thought I'd add that I was just reorganizing all my art prints by artist, and pulling out all my prints that are laminated with my el cheapo heat laminator (5 mil) and thinking how much I still like that thicker laminate for my art!

I like my Xyron (more expensive, no-heat laminator) for quick stuff I want to run through the laminator - a chore chart, confession bookmark, holy card, etc. Great for quick laminating, but isn't as thick or durable. Definite PRO for me: It laminates right up to the edge of the paper which means you can trim right to the edge of the paper, whereas on the heat laminator the laminate. Another pro is the ease of laminating - I like that I can just zing something through the laminator anytime I want. CON: the laminate is thin (probably about as thin as contact paper if that helps you visualize), and it doesn't stick at all to double sided tape. Very frustrating.

After YEARS of having my cheap Scotch (heat) laminator and the Xyron, I still prefer the heat laminator for durability if I'm laminating. The laminate is thicker and the whole item is quite rigid when it comes out. PRO of the heat laminator: the laminate of the heat laminator will stick to double sided tape (if you're trying to hang something), but the laminate of the Xyron WILL NOT stick to double sided tape. Also, it is much thicker and durable, the item WILL NOT BEND once it is laminated. CON: you have to leave about a quarter inch laminate border around the image because the sheets don't laminate up to the edge of the image. Another con is the time it takes to heat up and laminate. That means I usually make a folder and just spend an afternoon laminating a whole group of things.

Happy laminating, Jenn. I can't imagine not having this tool in our lineup! Very, very useful!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 08 2012 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Tickled pink with our laminator. I totally forgot that my sons would enjoy it even more than I do! You know, it's a "machine"!

It's great motivation for my older to make beautiful prayer cards or other items to laminate.

Wish I hadn't waffled for so long. I did want to mention I found a less expensive kind of 5mm sheets that I'm pleased with -- Sparco 5 mil Clear Letter Sized Laminate Pouches 9'x11.5',50 count. The quality is quite nice, but the price was great on my wallet.

Thanks again for all the advice and help!

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 08 2012 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 11 2014 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Amazon Deal of the Day Scotch Thermal Laminator for $16.99

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 11 2014 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

CrunchyMom wrote:
Amazon Deal of the Day Scotch Thermal Laminator for $16.99

Hey - thanks for pointing that out.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MomTo8
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 11 2014 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote MomTo8

Yes, thank you!! My daughter jammed ours a couple weeks ago! Perfect timing!
Back to Top View MomTo8's Profile Search for other posts by MomTo8

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version