Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Presidential Election 2012 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 11 2012 at 3:06pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Beginning a thread for the 2012 Presidential Election this year.

Please share any things you plan on doing or have done in the past. Also, share any links, resources and good, living books you are using!

My kids were pretty young last time around (my oldest was 7), but we did a few simple things and they still remember a lot of the details and events. We're looking forward to going a little deeper this time around!

:: 2008 Thread ---> there are some good ideas there.
:: Knowledge Box Central has lapbooks for purchase.
:: Homeschool Share "Election" Section
:: Candace has a great compilation last time around....Election for Young Children

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 11 2012 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

SuzanneG wrote:
My kids were pretty young last time around (my oldest was 7), but we did a few simple things and they still remember a lot of the details and events. We're looking forward to going a little deeper this time around!

Yes, with things like this that are 4 year cycles (Olympics being another) it is fun to do it at different levels as they get older. We've now done this sveral times with different kids each time. I was just thinking about how thoroughly we did the 2000 election with my now 23 year old. It was the first presidential election to come up after we started homeschooling. That was the year we did the most with it. I want to do some of those same ideas with my youngest this year as he is agood age to get into this.

So far we have started with a big blank map on the wall. He is filling in the states as with winners as each Republican primary/caucus happens. I need to have him make a bar graph of delegates, so we can track those totals as they gain delegates in those same primary/caucus events.

Currently waiting to see what happens in Maine today.

Thanks for gettingt his thread going, Suzanne. It will help keep me motivated.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2012 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Weird question...where do you register 18yos to vote? Do they need any kind of ID?

We will have 4 voters here this election!!!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 11 2012 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Picture Books
So You Want to be President by Judith St. George
America: A Patriotic Primer by Lynne Cheney
We the People: The Story of Our Constitution by Lynne Cheney
The Children's Book of America by William Bennett
Woodrow for President: A Tail of Voting, Campaigns and Elections by Peter and Cheryl Barnes
Woodrow the White House Mouse by Peter and Cheryl Barnes

Maps/DVD's
For the primary, we're marking delegates with a dry erase pen on our US map.

We have gotten so much use out of our Red State/Blue State GEO puzzle. We use it to map almost every single primary and election, and it really gives a good feel for the electorate. Highly recommended, especially if you have a place you can keep it flat and build as the primaries progress. It is really nice on election night. The kids put pieces in place (red or blue) as the state is called.

Schoolhouse Rock - You'll have to pardon me for finding a myriad of ways to weave my own beloved Schoolhouse Rocky into the curriculum! Political years are great for providing a little background on US history, why we have presidential elections, how our government works! People, seriously....you all have Schoolhouse Rock, right? This is important cultural stuff! Ok....so if you DON'T (        ) have a window into my 70's childhood, you can watch all of the great Schoolhouse Rock US History clips here. You can probably stream it free, too.

For olders (high school)
Are You Liberal, Conservative or Confused? by Richard Maybury (An Uncle Eric book).

Propaganda - game for learning to recognize (what is about to be a deluge of) propaganda. *NOTE* - this game could be understood and played by middle school students, too.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 11 2012 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Leave it to you ladies to make something so dreadful a fun, learning experience

Somehow I missed it growing up, but just a couple of months ago, I managed to see The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band. (Its available for rental on Amazon Instant).

It was entertaining (because I love a rollicking Sherman brothers musical ) and fascinating because I had just happened to see an interview that week with Ron Paul where he stated that his favorite president was Grover Cleveland. I was embarrassed with myself for knowing so little about him (Cleveland, not Paul ), and this movie is about the election between him and Benjamin Harrison. It was the first election where the man winning the popular vote did not win in the electoral college. (Cleveland did go on to run again and won, serving his two terms as president nonconsecutively).

I also found is fascinating to hear what the different political parties had to say about their candidates. Cleveland was a Democrat, and the Republicans complained because there was a budget SURPLUS and they thought he should be spending MORE!

This is all presented in an apolitical way, imo, I just thought it very interesting in light of the almost exact reversal of rolls and partisan rhetoric prevalent in the current election.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 12 2012 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

CrunchyMom wrote:

Well, we try...

Here is another site that I don't think was listed in any of hte above links/threads.
Ben’s Guide to Government for Kids – The Election Process (Grades 3-5, 6-8, 9-12), Electoral College (Grades 3-5, 6-8, 9-12)

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 13 2012 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I got our BAR GRAPH, our MAP, and our DELEGATE-BY-STATE-SPREADSHEET all up on the wall over the weekend!   

Nothing makes me happier than kiddos talking-politics at the dinner table!   

Well, OK....MAYBE stamps-being-mounted-and-sorted-and-classified during quiet time!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 13 2012 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

SuzanneG wrote:
Well, OK....MAYBE stamps-being-mounted-and-sorted-and-classified during quiet time!

Our Domestic Church

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 15 2012 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

High School resource

Constitution 101 - this is a free 10 week, college level course. It begins on Feb 20. Students access the lectures via their computer, they can also submit questions to the professor and will have access to other course materials. The course is free, but a donation is requested.

Quote:
Introduction: The American Mind
Larry P. Arnn
Monday, February 20

The Declaration of Independence
Thomas G. West
Monday, February 27

The Problem of Majority Tyranny
David Bobb
Monday, March 5

Separation of Powers: Preventing Tyranny
Kevin Portteus
Monday, March 12

Separation of Powers: Ensuring Good Government
Will Morrisey
Monday, March 19

Religion, Morality, and Property
David Bobb
Monday, March 26

Crisis of Constitutional Government
Will Morrisey
Monday, April 2

Abraham Lincoln and the Constitution
Kevin Portteus
Monday, April 9

The Progressive Rejection of the Founding
Ronald J. Pestritto
Monday, April 16

The Recovery of the Constitution
Larry P. Arnn
Monday, April 23

I thought this would make an excellent background course for an election year, and it would also make a suitable government/civics course for high school credit.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2012 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Well, as always, I'm late to the party.    BUT, it is still a few weeks away till the election so I suppose better late than never. Thought I would bump this up for others that are like me.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 10 2012 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I'm so glad you bumped the thread, Kathryn. I remember it but had forgotten we started it. Yes, still plenty of time to still be studying the process.

My dd is taking an American Government class in our local enrichment program. We h ave had some good discussions around that - this week the electoral college. She really doesn't like that a candidate takes all the state's electoral votes even if they don't win the state by much. It was a great discussion.

Our Domestic Church

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 10 2012 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

CrunchyMom wrote:

Somehow I missed it growing up, but just a couple of months ago, I managed to see The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band. (Its available for rental on Amazon Instant).

It was entertaining (because I love a rollicking Sherman brothers musical ) and fascinating because I had just happened to see an interview that week with Ron Paul where he stated that his favorite president was Grover Cleveland. I was embarrassed with myself for knowing so little about him (Cleveland, not Paul ), and this movie is about the election between him and Benjamin Harrison. It was the first election where the man winning the popular vote did not win in the electoral college. (Cleveland did go on to run again and won, serving his two terms as president nonconsecutively).

I also found is fascinating to hear what the different political parties had to say about their candidates. Cleveland was a Democrat, and the Republicans complained because there was a budget SURPLUS and they thought he should be spending MORE!

This is all presented in an apolitical way, imo, I just thought it very interesting in light of the almost exact reversal of rolls and partisan rhetoric prevalent in the current election.

Oh I enjoy that movie too. My dad always teased us growing up about watching those silly musicals (mostly to tease us I think ) And then the 2000 election and that whole bruhaha and we went to my parents house for Thanksgiving maybe (maybe Christmas) that year and he was telling me stuff he'd found out and asked me if I knew who the president was that who won the elcetoral vote and lost the popular vote and I did thanks to that movie.. so I was able to tell him and he looked startled.. how did you know that? Well Dad.. there was this musical...

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2012 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

JodieLyn wrote:

Oh I enjoy that movie too. My dad always teased us growing up about watching those silly musicals (mostly to tease us I think ) And then the 2000 election and that whole bruhaha and we went to my parents house for Thanksgiving maybe (maybe Christmas) that year and he was telling me stuff he'd found out and asked me if I knew who the president was that who won the elcetoral vote and lost the popular vote and I did thanks to that movie.. so I was able to tell him and he looked startled.. how did you know that? Well Dad.. there was this musical...

That story reminds me of an iPad/iPhone app I wanted to recommend. It sounds silly, but Presidents vs Aliens is a great app to help learn more about the presidents. It is also quite humbling for me to play it and realize just how much I DON'T know about them.
Presidents vs Aliens
Only 99 cents!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 24 2012 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

A homeschool mommy blogger (Everyday Snapshots) created and posted this Electoral College Election Game. It's a free download. It looks really good.

Some election/president curriculum guides and activities from Author Catherine Stier to along with her books.

Our Domestic Church

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 24 2012 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

That reminds me that I have been meaning to post about this book:
See How They Run for awhile.

We are reading a couple of pages every night right now, and we are thoroughly enjoying it. It covers how and why political parties formed, how elections work, interesting tidbits about the presidents and other politicians... It's a lot of fun and yet packed full of solid information.

My favorite so far was a brief tid bit about Theodore Roosevelt, the Bull Moose. He was tough- he was shot in the chest while giving a campaign speech and kept right on talking...for another hour!
Sheesh!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2012 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Sarah from Amongst Lovely Things (and a 4real member, right?) posted this: A Presidential Election study in 2 hrs or less.

I can't buy the books she used right now, but I'm inspired to pull a few things we do have and make do, and keep it simple!

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Dictation or Copywork idea for the next couple of weeks.....

The Oath of Office of the President of the United States

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

~ Article II, Section I of the U.S. Constitution

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version