Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Pretty summer tops: post your finds here! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 07 2012 at 7:25am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I've thought about trying these half tees for layering. I've considered them especially as a layer under wrap style dresses that always seem to be low cut but are otherwise pretty and modest. I keep thinking half tee would be especially useful as a layer with a wrap or button down dress to make nursing more modest, but it might also be a cooler layer than a full tee under another top.

I really like the dress that Michelle linked, and when I was maternity shopping last, I bought several dresses because they cost the same as a top! I think that if I weren't nursing, dresses would be the way to go, especially in the summer.

I also like linen tops in the summer, but they are prone to wrinkle if I'm not on top of laundry and they aren't hung up immediately when the dryer stops. I had a perfect top that I got as a hand me down from a friend, and it finally bit the dust. It was linen, 3/4 sleeves, loose enough to be modest and cool but not so loose that it looked like a tent, and it had some pretty edging and embroidery. If I ever find another shirt like it, I'm paying full price and buying a ton of them

It was JJill, and they do often have pretty, modest things. Their prices can be high, though.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2012 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

Seastar wrote:
I really like the t-let with the sparkles... fun! I could not see a picture of one by itself. does it attach to your bra or does it go over your shoulders?

They are sort of a cross between a half-tank or cami and one of these. The scoop neck and square neck ones have straps that are about 2" wide and a similar width band across the back. The straight neck ones have spaghetti straps with a wider back band. All have elastic under the bust so they don't ride up.

And they are GREAT for nursing. I wear them under a lot of knit dresses with scoop or wrap or cowl necks and to nurse I pull the neckline of the dress down and push the t-let up.

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2012 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

CrunchyMom wrote:
I really like the dress that Michelle linked, and when I was maternity shopping last, I bought several dresses because they cost the same as a top! I think that if I weren't nursing, dresses would be the way to go, especially in the summer.

Ah nursing! I didn't even think about that. That's why I couldn't wear dresses for a long time. Now I can --which is a little sad but that's OK.

I got the dress yesterday and it's very nice. I like it a lot. Great fit, and good quality fabric. I have a few conferences to attend this year and this is going to be my go to dress.

My only issued is that it's imported but finding something that isn't is getting pretty difficult.

I could make my own (and I may in a few other colors) but finding fabric that isn't imported is difficult as well --actually probably more difficult.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2012 at 9:27am | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

Insert Tutorial

Here is a tutorial on adding inserts. It's about 3/4 of the way down the page. She uses lace, but you cut use a complimenting color tshirt fabric to get that layered look. Nothing worse than finding a great fit top that is just too low cut.

She adds to the bottom as well, which is cute. I can never layer properly, but I do like how it looks. Foolers are my best friend ;)
Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 08 2012 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

mommy4ever wrote:
Insert Tutorial

Here is a tutorial on adding inserts. It's about 3/4 of the way down the page. She uses lace, but you cut use a complimenting color tshirt fabric to get that layered look. Nothing worse than finding a great fit top that is just too low cut.

She adds to the bottom as well, which is cute. I can never layer properly, but I do like how it looks. Foolers are my best friend ;)

Nice tutorial... very clever what she did with the tank!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2012 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

I find a lot of 'refashion' and 'upcycle' ideas on Pinterest.

http://pinterest.com/nmjmek/sewing/
http://pinterest.com/nmjmek/upcycle/

Those are a couple I follow.

http://blogs.babble.com/the-new-home-ec/2011/10/07/10-awesom ely-altered-t-shirts/?pid=4496#slideshow

Here are 10 ideas to customize a shirt.

I don't care for all of them, but there are some super easy and cute ideas. Might make you think. I like that you are re-using some of what you may have..the old becomes new :) If I can stretch my own wardrobe another year...why not?

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 31 2012 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Bumping this up... I have been scouting out the top scene in earnest this week. The stores here put out a ton of summer fashions this week.

This is a very, very basic crew neck tee from Penny's, but it is so soft and has a nice stretch. I bought the red last fall at the end of the season and wished I could have bought more. Now they have several colors at my local store, but the sizes are going fast.... as they would be for $7 a piece.

Again, not fancy, but soft and stretchy and great alone or for layering. I did think the white was a little see through, so I didn't buy it, but the navy, the red and the pinks are all very nice.

ETA: I bought the petite version and it was a nice length for me

basic tee

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 11 2012 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Bumping this thread to add a resource:

Duluth Trading Co. Longtail tee. There are several varieties and some very pretty, feminine colors to choose from. The prices aren't sky high, and I've ordered from Duluth before - their quality is very good. One of my biggest problems is finding a nice summer-weight shirt (for our very hot and humid southern temps) that is long enough. sigh. So many of the basic shirts I find are so short that just lifting your arm high enough to reach the microwave necessitates wearing an undershirt. And undershirts of ANY kind, in the summer....in the south....just make things way too hot.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 11 2012 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Mackfam wrote:

Duluth Trading Co. Longtail tee. There are several varieties and some very pretty, feminine colors to choose from. The prices aren't sky high, and I've ordered from Duluth before - their quality is very good. One of my biggest problems is finding a nice summer-weight shirt (for our very hot and humid southern temps) that is long enough. sigh. So many of the basic shirts I find are so short that just lifting your arm high enough to reach the microwave necessitates wearing an undershirt. And undershirts of ANY kind, in the summer....in the south....just make things way too hot.

Jen, have you tried the V-necks? Are they really low? I prefer V-necks, but most of them are too low-cut for me (I'm short!). I know I could put in an insert with one of the nifty ideas above, but, realistically? I probably won't! So I need to order something that's appropriate without alterations. I love the longer tails on these...too short is my #1 complaint with T's!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 11 2012 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I got 2 of these during a sale Cold Water Creek Washed Silk Top

The pale pink is definately see through I got a tank to wear under it.. but the silk is so lightweight that the layering isn't really like having 2 heavier layers but there's very few days so hot that I wouldn't be able to wear layers here anyway. But the blue was the perfect color for a skirt I have and I don't think it'll need any layering. Oh and I hand washed the pink top and it came out great, needs ironing to look smooth and dressy but the "wrinkles" are really more of an all over unsmooth look that isn't bad for casual.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 11 2012 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I really prefer button down blouses for the really hot weather. T-shirts don't breathe as well. I love the old short sleeve camp shirts, or linen shirts. I just saw these gingham from LLBean that look very comfy and modest and cool.

I'd have to try the linen in person to see if it's see through. That's the negative side, like you mention, Jen. I just don't want to layer in the summer during those heat spells. Not looking to those hot days -- I'm thinking the early dry spring might be foreboding. Those days when the air doesn't move, the humidity is so thick you can cut it with a knife and you feel like you can't breathe, and it's so hot your sweat doesn't evaporate....

Nope, not looking forward to it. The having your own pool thread is looking more appealing.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 11 2012 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Not sure what the difference is or if there is much of one, but I'm pretty sure that this is the linen shirt I had for years and wore out. In fact, I think I'm actually wearing it in my profile pic I know they change suppliers and the thickness may vary, but the photos look so similar in weight, I'm pretty sure it would be safe in terms of see through.

I think I'd like to try this 3/4 sleeve, though. I don't personally find the 3/4 sleeve to add much in terms of heat if the weight is appropriate, and for me, it isn't so much more "modest" as I just find it more flattering and easier to dress up if necessary.

This one looks cute too!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 11 2012 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Love all those, Lindsay! Those are more me.

Last year I bought a lot of v-neck t-shirts from Lands End. They were thick and didn't need layers, and the v-neck was perfect. The downside is they don't make them anymore and they are too unflattering -- a little baggy. To make up for the extra room on the top, the rest of the shirt just looks sloppy. So I'm on the hunt for shirts that aren't too tight, but have some kind of shape that is more flattering. I'm eager to try the Duluth.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 11 2012 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

Just a thought....

If you find a top the the neck line is nice on you, it is an easy alteration to take in and shape the sides. I've done it on many.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 11 2012 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

stellamaris wrote:
Mackfam wrote:

Jen, have you tried the V-necks? Are they really low? I prefer V-necks, but most of them are too low-cut for me (I'm short!). I know I could put in an insert with one of the nifty ideas above, but, realistically? I probably won't! So I need to order something that's appropriate without alterations. I love the longer tails on these...too short is my #1 complaint with T's!

I prefer a V-neck as well, Caroline, but mine are on the way - not here yet - so I can't give a better review just yet....soon though. The pictures of the women wearing the short sleeve long-tail v-neck give you a pretty good idea. The drop of the V appears to be about 2 finger widths lower than the collar bone, which is actually not a very low cut V neck.   I know what you mean about the drop of some V neck shirts requiring a cami underneath, and I don't mind doing that sometimes, but as I mentioned before, in the south, there is NO layering done in the heat of the summer. NONE!!!! The heat and humidity here are brutal, and extra layers here go beyond uncomfortable. I did read through all the reviews, which are very helpful btw, and one did mention that if the shirt is a size too big on you, bending forward with the V was a little revealing on her, so keep that in mind in ordering the right size.

This shirt (as well as the other cotton shirts at Duluth) has no shrinkage when washed (they're all pre-washed), so you may need to order a size smaller than you normally would if you typically order up to allow for shrinkage (I do). Also, the fit of the shirt is natural, not vacuum sealed (feminine, FOLLOWING curves rather than becoming one with them) as some fitted shirts are. I called and spoke to someone at Duluth about the size chart, and it is accurate. So a medium is usually an 8/10, but at Duluth, it's a 10/12. If you're unsure on this, call and get the exact bust measurement of the size shirt you're interested in, which they'll give you over the phone.

The shirts look cute paired with capris or with breezy, swingy cotton skirts, and dress up nice enough for a weekday Mass sort of look for me with pretty earrings and adorable Mary Janes.

Duluth has EXTRAORDINARY customer service, so if something needs to be returned it's no problem.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 11 2012 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
I'd have to try the linen in person to see if it's see through.

I just love the look of these shirts, and linen is a very nice, light fabric....but it would need ironing every time it was washed in order to look nice according to reviews. I figured that was the case, being linen, but I was hoping and praying that this was some sort of miracle linen product that LL Bean had woven.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 11 2012 at 6:27pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I don't especially like needing to iron tops (or dresses or anything for that matter) but I LOVE slipping on a nice crisply ironed item of clothing when it's hot..somehow it feels so much cooler than the same item not ironed.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2012 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I like the weight of cotton blouses, too, but it seems like they always pull across the bust. Wish I were not quite so well-endowed!!!

I'm looking forward to your review, Jen! I'm not going to wear another layer either. Virginia is so hot and humid in the summer. Having grown up in the Pacific NW, a hot summer day for me is 75! When it gets to 95 and humid, I'm dead

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 12 2012 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I was just folding laundry and got to one of my favorites, the 3/4 sleeve polo. It might be a bit heavy for the hottest of days, but it certainly does not need a layer. I think of my knit shirts, it has kept its shape and color the best. It is flattering without being revealing (though, I hover between a small and a medium, and I would for sure order a medium again). Some of the knit tees I ordered at the same time are looking a little worn and stretched, but this shirt still looks very nice. I think, too, that the cut and sleeves make it look more feminine than some polos do. It is nice with a skirt without being tucked in.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 11 2012 at 10:15pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mackfam wrote:
stellamaris wrote:
Mackfam wrote:

I prefer a V-neck as well, Caroline, but mine are on the way - not here yet - so I can't give a better review just yet....soon though. The pictures of the women wearing the short sleeve long-tail v-neck give you a pretty good idea. The drop of the V appears to be about 2 finger widths lower than the collar bone, which is actually not a very low cut V neck.   I know what you mean about the drop of some V neck shirts requiring a cami underneath, and I don't mind doing that sometimes, but as I mentioned before, in the south, there is NO layering done in the heat of the summer. NONE!!!! The heat and humidity here are brutal, and extra layers here go beyond uncomfortable. I did read through all the reviews, which are very helpful btw, and one did mention that if the shirt is a size too big on you, bending forward with the V was a little revealing on her, so keep that in mind in ordering the right size.

This shirt (as well as the other cotton shirts at Duluth) has no shrinkage when washed (they're all pre-washed), so you may need to order a size smaller than you normally would if you typically order up to allow for shrinkage (I do). Also, the fit of the shirt is natural, not vacuum sealed (feminine, FOLLOWING curves rather than becoming one with them) as some fitted shirts are. I called and spoke to someone at Duluth about the size chart, and it is accurate. So a medium is usually an 8/10, but at Duluth, it's a 10/12. If you're unsure on this, call and get the exact bust measurement of the size shirt you're interested in, which they'll give you over the phone.

The shirts look cute paired with capris or with breezy, swingy cotton skirts, and dress up nice enough for a weekday Mass sort of look for me with pretty earrings and adorable Mary Janes.

Duluth has EXTRAORDINARY customer service, so if something needs to be returned it's no problem.

Any updates on feedback on these shirts from Duluth, Jen?

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version