Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Organizing the Older Family Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote Marcia

life proof cases are really helpful too and not squishy like the Otter boxes.

I wonder why
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Wow! There is a lot of great info here! Thanks so much for all the resources!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 07 2012 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Angie Mc wrote:
Can you all help me to brainstorm principles and tools to help organize my maturing family? We want to use technology to help us to meet, plan, coordinate and track our projects.

I'm thinking of you, Angie....imagining you and your precious family loading useful apps on your phones!

I found an app and thought of you and your desire to use technology to help you in motivating and tracking projects.

Streaks - Motivational Calendar

Unfortunately, it's not a free app, but I thought I'd mention it because I instantly thought of your dh, trying to increase his physical fitness, or perhaps your son's baseball practice, or even keeping up with T-Tapp goals. The app allows you to enter goals and tasks and you mark the calendar and then you see how long you've kept a streak going.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 07 2012 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

From Lindsay's chore thread:

Mackfam wrote:
I've been sharing a lot lately about apps which might be useful for a mom that makes use of technology to assist her in the home.

I wanted to link some neat apps that are intended to help organize and manage chores in the home. I don't have any of these apps, but a few of them look really intriguing to me! I wanted to post them here for your consideration. Most of these work on iphone and ipad, but you'll need to look to see if a particular app will work on your preferred platform.

I'll come back and review if I decide to use one of these!

HomeRoutines
You Rule Chores
Chore Pad
Chore Hero
Home Chores

And slightly more featured and useful for the mom with lots of things to keep up with, organize, list, manage:

Outliner for iPad

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Jen, a BIG thanks for the recommendation for the Cozi App! We installed it on our phones here and are LOVING it!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

You are so welcome, Mary Chris!!! We really enjoy it, too!

I'll tell you another way we use it - but you'll laugh! My dh is completely flummoxed and utterly overwhelmed..........when he is in charge of ordering at the drive thru! It is such a PAINFUL experience for ALL OF US!!!! I mean, we don't eat out that often, but a simple trip through the drive thru is a cross between utter frustration and comedy. The order almost never comes out right. And of course, it doesn't help when the Peanut Gallery behind him is throwing out instructions...."don't forget my Dr. Pepper, dad,"....."could you ask for ketchup, dad?" Poor Rob!!! And POOR ME!!!! Because I have to remember the ENTIRE order, pay attention as he places it, and quietly mention the items he's missed or ordered incorrectly, and then pay attention to the attendant as she repeats, correcting further mistakes. I'm ready for a stiff drink after every trip to the drive thru!!!

ANYWAY....under "shopping lists" I created a couple of lists for our common fast food stops so that Rob has it all written down - the family choices for that restaurant. And if someone wants to change an eating choice because dad is bringing burgers home, I can easily change the order on my phone, and Rob's phone instantly reflects the changes.

I just thought that surely I'm not the only one that might like it if a favorite food stop with all the family's choices are listed in the shopping list section on Cozi. It's a huge help for Rob....and relief for the rest of us! He feels so empowered with his little family's choices clearly listed by restaurant!!!!

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Too funny! And a really good idea!
We finally loaded Cozi on the kid phones yesterday and told them...."Everything has to be on the calendar.....If it's not on the calendar it doesn't happen!" Funny but dinner out appeared on yesterday's calendar. Dinner out was for dh bday celebration and our anniversary so not just some random put it on the calendar.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 1:31pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Mary Chris wrote:
dinner out appeared on yesterday's calendar.

Ooooh!!! How exciting when **dinner out** just appears on the calendar! After being married for 19 years, I would consider that a romantic gesture!!!!

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2012 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

Mackfam wrote:
You are so welcome, Mary Chris!!! We really enjoy it, too!

I'll tell you another way we use it - but you'll laugh! My dh is completely flummoxed and utterly overwhelmed..........when he is in charge of ordering at the drive thru! It is such a PAINFUL experience for ALL OF US!!!! I mean, we don't eat out that often, but a simple trip through the drive thru is a cross between utter frustration and comedy. The order almost never comes out right. And of course, it doesn't help when the Peanut Gallery behind him is throwing out instructions...."don't forget my Dr. Pepper, dad,"....."could you ask for ketchup, dad?" Poor Rob!!! And POOR ME!!!! Because I have to remember the ENTIRE order, pay attention as he places it, and quietly mention the items he's missed or ordered incorrectly, and then pay attention to the attendant as she repeats, correcting further mistakes. I'm ready for a stiff drink after every trip to the drive thru!!!

ANYWAY....under "shopping lists" I created a couple of lists for our common fast food stops so that Rob has it all written down - the family choices for that restaurant. And if someone wants to change an eating choice because dad is bringing burgers home, I can easily change the order on my phone, and Rob's phone instantly reflects the changes.

I just thought that surely I'm not the only one that might like it if a favorite food stop with all the family's choices are listed in the shopping list section on Cozi. It's a huge help for Rob....and relief for the rest of us! He feels so empowered with his little family's choices clearly listed by restaurant!!!!

Goodness, Jen, this is brilliant!

My DH sounds a lot like your DH when it comes to the drive through.    Cozi has been super helpful for grocery lists in a similar way- helping him to just have something to rely on that I can change without overwhelming him.

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2012 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote Aagot

Simple fact in this house is that dh DOES NOT place orders.
Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

ShannonJ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 18 2012 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote ShannonJ

Mackfam wrote:

I'll tell you another way we use it - but you'll laugh! My dh is completely flummoxed and utterly overwhelmed..........when he is in charge of ordering at the drive thru!

And I thought my husband was the only one in the world that got flustered at the drive-thru! He'll be glad to know he isn't the only one! There have been a couple of times that he drove off before finishing the order.

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2012 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

I love this thread. We have the 'aging family' too. DS17 graduates this year, until January, he was working full time. He goes for his first session of trade school in the fall too. I can't believe he'll be second year apprentice at 18, and have all his graduation requirements and requirements for university if he goes that route later. DD14 is in highschool in the fall, will be driving next spring. DD12 will soon be the official teen as well. We all have a sport/activity that requires tracking, plus family things. Lots of things going on.... not to mention the homeschool and those activities.

Here in Canada, the cost for a data plan for an iphone is insane, so that's not going to happen. :(

However, I do plan on getting myself an iPad in the fall for my birthday.(saving a little every month and all the gift money I get). We spend lots of times in rinks, etc, which provides free wireless, so it would work for us.

For home, we use a Busy Body Book Calendar. This is great. It took some getting used to, but we love it now. It is a large grid, 2 weeks run down the left. And then there are 7 columns. There is one for each family member, and one spare. I use it for extra notes. But it allows for all our activities to be on there.

I make a weekly card to slip into my purse, so I have it when some one calls and asks.

It's not perfect, but it does work. I can't wait for the ipad :) We have 3 ipods and one 1pad already. I limit my use of the ipad as it is dd8's. But I love all it could do. I can see versatility.

Thought I'd share with those that don't have the smart phones :) We have the kids automatically put things on the calendar. If they plan anything with friends, extra practices, school field trips, etc. If it's not on there, it's not going to happen.

Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version