Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: New Picture Book for St. George Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm so excited to have found a perfect picture book for St. George!

I've been bothered by the St. George picture books on our shelves, like St. George and the Dragon by Margaret Hodges and Saint George and the Dragon by Geraldine McCaughrean. Their emphasis on the Golden Legend instead of the historical person just doesn't seem to fit celebrating the saint. Last time I picked up Margaret Hodges I couldn't get through the first page, with the Fairy Queen and Fairies.

When I saw a new book on St. George at the Daughters of St. Paul's website, I thought I'd give it try.

It's wonderful! This is the kind of picture book on this saint that is so needed. It's a small book, 6 1/2 x 8, but action packed.

St. George is a Roman soldier and already a Christian. He finds out the Emperor is going to persecute Christians. He sees a vision with himself following a dragon, giving orders -- and sees a woman and church's burning. He realizes that the dragon is the Emperor and pagan gods over Christianity, and he cannot give up his Faith, so he must "slay" the dragon. The story continues when he goes in front of the Emperor to profess his faith and beg the persecution end. He ends in jail and martyred/put to death (that is not detailed).

up!!!

The drawings aren't super terrific (which is the main attraction of Hodges book. Love those illustrations.) They seem to be actual photos of people which are softened or digitized with additional artist work. But the dragon is well-done, and the images aren't a turn-off, just different.

The book is here:
The Saint Who Fought the Dragon: The Story of Saint George Written by Cornelia Mary Bilinsky, illustrated by Theresa Brandon, ISBN 0819871613. You can preview a bit to get a feel for it.

I'd say buy it soon. Pauline Books go out of print so fast, and although a copy is on Amazon through another dealer, their books usually aren't sold on Amazon.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

StephanieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 08 2011 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote StephanieA

There is also a new book "St. George and the Dragon" that I ordered, but I haven't seen/read it yet. It is by Jim Forest. However, it does retain the dragon story. llustrations are icons. I ordered this before reading this thread, or I would have ordered the Bilinsky book. But we'll see. You can order it on Amazon.

Blessings,
Stephanie
Back to Top View StephanieA's Profile Search for other posts by StephanieA

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 08 2011 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

StephanieA wrote:
There is also a new book "St. George and the Dragon" that I ordered, but I haven't seen/read it yet. It is by Jim Forest. However, it does retain the dragon story. llustrations are icons. I ordered this before reading this thread, or I would have ordered the Bilinsky book. But we'll see. You can order it on Amazon.

Blessings,
Stephanie

Looks promising! I see the book St. George and the Dragon, which is printed by an Orthodox press, St. Vladimir's. I'd love to hear a review.

Years ago someone mentioned that there might be some symbolism in Orthodox icons that might be different than Catholic icons...but I've never been able to confirm that or get more details. I love icons and want to know more about them.

With all the depictions of St. George in fine art, seems like it could be a wonderful picture book just by putting some of those together. Which makes me think maybe we should have a thread of St. George in art? hmmmm.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

StephanieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 19 2011 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote StephanieA

I received the book and here's my 2 cents for what it is worth. We have all 3 books:

1. Hodges's book - great illustrations, but story is...umm...unreadable for me after years of reading it. Can't get past the fact that St. George serves a fairy queen in the end.
2. Daughters of St. Paul - the kids and I liked it, but not as well as Forest's book described below. The narrative is heads above Hodges's book.The negatives: While it appeals to the 8 and under crowd, the dream/vision narrative goes over my kids' heads. Is it happening? Is he dreaming? My only other negative is that it seemed rushed at the end when the Empress "suddenly" converts. (But then again, this part is made up for the flow of the story). But it is a realistic story of St. George.
3. St. George by Jim Forest. This is the one our family likes the best, but it is the story of the legend. It does retain the dragon story, but George doesn't marry the princess in the end, but converts the royal family to Christ. Then the end pages contain all the known info for older kids and adults about St. George. Hands down the winner for us because in history we don't know if St. George even was a soldier, so I like that the legend stays the legend, but incorporates Jesus into the whole narrative. The only part I didn't like for the younger crowd is that the dragon eats kids in the beginning! But I guess it is no worse that Little Red Riding Hood.

Blessings,
Stephanie
Back to Top View StephanieA's Profile Search for other posts by StephanieA

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 19 2011 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

StephanieA wrote:
I received the book and here's my 2 cents for what it is worth. We have all 3 books:

1. Hodges's book - great illustrations, but story is...umm...unreadable for me after years of reading it. Can't get past the fact that St. George serves a fairy queen in the end.
2. Daughters of St. Paul - the kids and I liked it, but not as well as Forest's book described below. The narrative is heads above Hodges's book.The negatives: While it appeals to the 8 and under crowd, the dream/vision narrative goes over my kids' heads. Is it happening? Is he dreaming? My only other negative is that it seemed rushed at the end when the Empress "suddenly" converts. (But then again, this part is made up for the flow of the story). But it is a realistic story of St. George.
3. St. George by Jim Forest. This is the one our family likes the best, but it is the story of the legend. It does retain the dragon story, but George doesn't marry the princess in the end, but converts the royal family to Christ. Then the end pages contain all the known info for older kids and adults about St. George. Hands down the winner for us because in history we don't know if St. George even was a soldier, so I like that the legend stays the legend, but incorporates Jesus into the whole narrative. The only part I didn't like for the younger crowd is that the dragon eats kids in the beginning! But I guess it is no worse that Little Red Riding Hood.

Blessings,
Stephanie

Wow, thanks Stephanie! Nice to have options for St. George, isn't it? I'll have to get the Forest one, too.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 22 2011 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

For Book Depositoriy fans it is now back in stock.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 23 2012 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bumping this...little late for today, St. George's Feast day.

kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2012 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

I am so sad that I just saw this today, but now I have two books for next year's feast day!!!      I was actually really sad that I didn't have a book when I opened up my Divine Office this afternoon and realized whose Feast Day it was!

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 28 2016 at 3:16am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Jenn
Which one did you end up preferring, Bilinsky or Forest?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version