Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Christmas for BOYS! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 30 2011 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

MaryM wrote:
SuzanneG wrote:
Christmas in the Trenches (war).

Oh, yes, that is the other one I wanted to mention, but forgot. It's about the Christmas Truce of Dec. 24, 1914 (WWI)
Christmas in the Trenches link

A fantastic movie on this is Joyeux Noel... truly great.   One of the few foreign films that held my dh's attention the whole way through.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 30 2011 at 10:00pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

MaryM wrote:
So is anyone familiar with The Christmas Cookie Sprinkle Snitcher?

A post at Vintage Kid's Books My Kid Loves - The Christmas Cookie Sprinkle Snitcher .

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2011 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote Angel

MaryM wrote:

Hmm...hope I'm on the right track for what you are looking for. At the top of my list would be Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree by Robert Barry. Very funny and light-hearted. I only recently discovered this one although it is an older book. Reprinted in 2000. Original here.

My boys love this book! I just found it this year, too. Definitely a good purchase.

I didn't see The Gingerbread Baby mentioned, but my boys all love this book. I'm going to have to replace our copy this year because we've read it to death.

And I'll also agree with _Christmas in the Trenches_ and _Letters from Father Christmas_. We're reading _Letters_ for the first time this year, and my 8 yo ds didn't stop talking about it ALL DAY yesterday, to anyone (literally) who would listen to him... and some people who wouldn't. We also like _Cobweb Christmas_.

A couple more to add to the list:

For my littlest boys, The Little Drummer Boy and Christmas in the Barn (although I really prefer the older edition of Christmas in the Barn, as I like the illustrations better than these new ones.)

My boys also like Christmas Tree Farm. This year I found another book about growing Christmas trees, Christmas Farm, but I haven't roadtested it yet. Usually books that contain a little science or history are well-received around here, though.

And Tony's Bread is one we read every year, too, even though there's a wedding in it.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

The Santero's Miracle

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
The Santero's Miracle

You know, I don't think I ever mentioned that I use that book for St. Isidore's feast on May 15. At least my initial search didn't find on the board.

Mary has reviewed here in this thread on Christmas picture books. I just love this book.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

SuzanneG wrote:
Good King Wenceslas and The Christmas Knight -- medieval knights and kings

Our boys LOVE these!

More (I hope I'm not repeating!!):

Corgiville Christmas by Tasha Tudor

Christmas in Noisy Village by Astrid Lindgren

Christmas in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder (My First Little House books)

The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree by Gloria Houston, illustrated by Barbara Cooney - this one fits because of the adventure and duty involved though the story centers around a young girl and her mother. The father has not yet been heard from though Armistice Day (WWI) has come and gone, so Ruthie must search and find the family Christmas tree that she and her dad picked out before he went off to war. Tugs at your heart because you so want Dad to get off that train and return home from the war.

The Carpenter's Gift: The Story of the Rockefeller Center Tree by David Rubel - set in the depression in New York, a young boy and his dad (who is out of work) sell Christmas trees to make ends meet. They end up donating a tree to construction workers and that tree becomes the very first Rockefeller center tree. There is more that happens from there and the story follows the young boy until he is an old man. This is historical fiction and based on actual historical events surrounding the Rockefeller center tree.

A Cowboy Christmas: Miracle at Lone Ridge by Audrey Wood - not religious, but a Christmas story full of adventure and appealing to boys because of its "cowboy-ish-ness" Favorite here!!!

Truman Capote: A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote - early 30's, rural Alabama, Christmas memories. Lots of mischief.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

knowloveserve wrote:
MaryM wrote:
SuzanneG wrote:
Christmas in the Trenches (war).

Oh, yes, that is the other one I wanted to mention, but forgot. It's about the Christmas Truce of Dec. 24, 1914 (WWI)
Christmas in the Trenches link

A fantastic movie on this is Joyeux Noel... truly great.   One of the few foreign films that held my dh's attention the whole way through.

Great picture book and one of my FAVORITE Christmas movies....which reminds me I need to resurrect our schmaltzy Hallmark Christmas movie thread!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

JennGM posted the book The Christmas Knight at some point in time and I am SOOOOOO glad that I got it.

One of my ds's has had me read this every day in Advent so far. It's a great book. I wish is wasn't OPP!!!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 08 2011 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Betsy wrote:
JennGM posted the book The Christmas Knight at some point in time and I am SOOOOOO glad that I got it.

One of my ds's has had me read this every day in Advent so far. It's a great book. I wish is wasn't OPP!!!

So glad you liked it! It does inspire "nobility" in a boy, doesn't it?

I found one at some used book sale and totally snatched it up. It is too bad it's OOP.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 14 2011 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks again for this great thread and the recommendations! We read tonight The Third Gift, Strega Nona's Gift and Mortimer's Manger.

All 3 a HUGE hit with my boys (8 and 4). The illustrations in Mortimer include some of the familiar playthings we have -- Legos, marbles, Playmobil -- so that really was appealing.

Strega Nona is appealing because of Big Anthony, and because my youngest has ties with Saint Nicholas and Saint Lucy, he was immediately drawn in.

I didn't reveal any clue to what The Third Gift was about, but they were deeply into the story. When I got to the part where the one man said they had 2 gifts, Gold and Frankincense, my oldest took a gasp and then my youngest said "They are the 3 wise men!" Just a wonderful moment!

And I had to go through interlibrary loan for Christmas in the Trenches. I picked it up today, and it had a audio cd, which I played in the car. I'm bawling as I'm listening, and they were so impressed. My oldest kept talking about it to his cousins, my husband, to me...wants to learn more.

Thank you!!! I can see these will have to be purchased to add to our permanent personal library.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 14 2011 at 9:43pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

JennGM wrote:
And I had to go through interlibrary loan for Christmas in the Trenches. I picked it up today, and it had a audio cd, which I played in the car. I'm bawling as I'm listening, and they were so impressed. My oldest kept talking about it to his cousins, my husband, to me...wants to learn more.

Thank you!!! I can see these will have to be purchased to add to our permanent personal library.

I have this one coming as a Christmas gift. I'm looking forward to it. I think everyone here will enjoy it.. since it was my oldest that heard a bit about it from me (when we were listening to Snoopy's Christmas) and looked up more about it on her own.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 15 2011 at 4:20am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

We got and are enjoying those as well, Jenn! My boys, too, LOVE Mortimer's Manger! We have a huge stack of Christmas picture books, many of which I hven't personally read yet, but I've had to read Mortimer several times already.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version