Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Member Retreat: Advent Reflection & Plans Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I liked some of the ideas I've seen online (and on Pinterest) where they have an advent calendar with a written activity to be done each day. I haven't finalized anything, but I thought I would share some of my brainstorming. Some of them are family traditions. Others are just things I filled in with.

One online idea I saw (not sure if it is on the one I linked or not) had "make the house smell like Christmas." My mother always used a potpouri pot on the stove with cinnamon sticks, cloves, and orange peel, and we do it often as well, and then I thought that spreading the idea using all five sense throughout Advent had a nice sense of "preparing."

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I need to fix "watch Tora, Tora, Tora" to Dec. 7.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

SallyT wrote:

A couple of years ago at Goodwill I found this big white wooden church with little numbered doors all over it -- I had to stare at it for a while before I realized that it was an Advent calendar. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it -- we already have calendars with doors that open and show you things, and I've never managed to collect enough little things to be in this one (besides which each door doesn't have its own compartment behind it, and stuff just rattles around loose inside). A friend of mine suggested putting things *into* it every day, and I like that idea, but I'm still trying to think how to set the whole thing up to be meaningful. Any thoughts?

Well, it's rather shallow and isn't as penitential as some would like, but it's the first thing that came to mind because my kids have a quilted tree with pockets -- you could put candy behind each door (tootsie rolls, a dum dum, piece of gum). That's how we were given our tree and it's what we do each year. The kids have to read the bible messages on the other Advent calendars before they can go to the "candy" calendar.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

We didn't grow up with any Advent traditions so we have slowly stated introducing traditions over the years. A new tradition each year or two, not adding a new one until the old one was comfortable.

When we were first married (and with no money) dh lovingly made an Advent wreath by twisting bullwire. I love that wreath as is symbolises so much. So we will once again use our Wreath.

When our firstborn was little we introduced placing straw in a crib for every good deed, working towards having a plump bed for the Babe to lay his head.

The last few years we have had a calendar, in the calendar pockets are felt figures, each day a new figure is taken and added to the Nativity scene culminating in placing the Babe in the Manager.

Display Nativity scenes, I've been slowly collecting these in after Christmas sales.

Set up tree in the third week of Advent, decorating with purple only.

Read books, books and more books. Our own collection and the best from the library (I keep a list of their best )

We also celebrate a few of the Saints feast days, including St Nicholas, some years more elaborately but some low key.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2011 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

I'm currently working on our Advent plans. (sigh) It is just around the corner!!

A few years ago I decided that we would take a break from all our regural readings and focus on Advent & winter for five weeks. With the exception of math we cover all our other subjects with special titles, for poetry, art, nature study, faith/religion, music, literature, handicrafts & baking, copywork and lots of picture book read alouds all related to the season.

There was never a religious preparation in my home growing up. It always felt like a rushed season waiting for the eve of. There was certainly a big emphasize on traditional Central American food. This was always an all week event. Collect the right ingredients, prepare and cook. I have to admit I'm very grateful for the cultural experience and traditions. And I like that my mom still tries to do that (I really need to learn how to do some of those dishes myself ).

Our traditions are all new to me. We enjoy the wreath and candles. Advent calendar with a hidden chocolate per day (one of the kids favorite). Tree and lights decorating (drive through the neighborhood and enjoy the lights). This will be our first year trying a Jesse tree. Always lots and lots of seasonal picture books.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2011 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Ooh, I really like the idea of putting tiny gifts for Christmas in the Advent Church! I have been trying to think how it could function as something like a "sacrifice jar" for Lent (we put beans in a jar; they "magically" become jellybeans at Easter), or something which would involve giving/sacrificing/contributing something towards Christmas and welcoming the Baby Jesus. The doors are really small, so the gifts would have to be tiny . . . I'll have to think on the logistics of this!

Sally

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2011 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I like that calendar of Lindsay's, too. Our Advents always go in fits and starts -- we begin with excitement, but then we run out of steam midway, and lots of things go by the wayside, at least until we start the O Antiphons, at which point we go, "O! It's still Advent!" A daily calendar with specific things to do would be a huge help in keeping us on track all season.

Sally

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 29 2011 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom wrote:
I liked some of the ideas I've seen online (and on Pinterest) where they have an advent calendar with a written activity to be done each day. I haven't finalized anything, but I thought I would share some of my brainstorming. Some of them are family traditions. Others are just things I filled in with.

One online idea I saw (not sure if it is on the one I linked or not) had "make the house smell like Christmas." My mother always used a potpouri pot on the stove with cinnamon sticks, cloves, and orange peel, and we do it often as well, and then I thought that spreading the idea using all five sense throughout Advent had a nice sense of "preparing."

Here is what I ended up doing with my calendar.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version