Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Homeschool confessions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary Fifer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 26 2011 at 11:38pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Fifer

Oh! This thread is exactly what I came to read tonight!

Oh! How I need it.

lapazfarm wrote:

~ I stay up way too late to get some "me time" and as a result I've worked my way up from one cup to 4 cups of coffee per day.
~ I hate spending money on clothes but will buy a book at a drop of a hat.

ME TOO!

~ Except my 3-4 cups are tea - at least I've dropped the Mountain Dew!
~ I seriously cannot remember if we finished reading a book or I have simply misplaced it. We haven't read history for three weeks.
~ We don't start most days until 10 AM. How can we with Daddy home until second shift?
~ Half the time we do not have "real" breakfasts. Good thing that my youngest is seven and can use the toaster!
~ I continually interrupt my friends with my enthusiasm for their good ideas and I don't get to hear their whole story - at least, some of them do the same to me... Email has been a giant help in this department!

For these and all my sins I am truly sorry!

:-)

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for starting this thread. It is exactly what I needed!

Editted to say: I should have said AM, but on better examination, yes, Mea Culpa! There are days that no school gets done until 10 pm!

Saint Anne's Helper for Catechism Class

Back to Top View Mary Fifer's Profile Search for other posts by Mary Fifer Visit Mary Fifer's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 12:48am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Mackfam wrote:
MaryM wrote:
~Lesson plans can be found scribbled on post-it notes in my purse

I KNEW IT!!!!!! I knew you loved Post-its!!!!

Forgot to say...you found me out. Never jumped in those crazy post-it note conversations (as it doesn't fit in the guidelines of my 12 step program )          Post it note confetti time...

Mary Fifer wrote:
~ I seriously cannot remember if we finished reading a book or I have simply misplaced it. We haven't read history for three weeks.
I know, I know...the feeling...hey what were we just talking about...

Mary Fifer wrote:
~ We don't start most days until 10 pm. How can we with Daddy home until second shift?
Then I'll have to confess to the many times we don't get productive until into the evening...

Mary Fifer wrote:
For these and all my sins I am truly sorry!

Mary Fifer wrote:
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for starting this thread. It is exactly what I needed!
I'm so, so glad it helped!

Oh, one of the women in our local group sent me an email saying she didn't believe anything I said (boy, do I have them fooled... ) and my kids said they could confirm it for her. So how we have the homeschool "confirmations" , too!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 6:22am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Erin wrote:
The real reason I home educate is;

So I can buy books

And school supplies... to use myself

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 7:12am | IP Logged Quote Mimip

I wish I had seen this thread yesterday when we were having "handicraft day" at our house as an excuse for me to finish a knitting project I am working on

A few confessions from our corner of the homeschooling universe:

---We have pajama day once a week; usually its instituted by Mom because she doesn't want to get out of hers.

---I was born in Spain to Cuban parents and my kids can barely speak Spanish.

---I taught Spanish Immersion and was really good at it and yes my kids barely speak Spanish.

---I don't do Nature study for 5 months out of the year (its just to darn hot!)

---I LOVE read alouds and we do them faithfully every day, now the narrating back, not so much....

Just a few to start with and I'm sure my homeschool confession list will continue:)

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

We love books...to death. Destroyers of books is more like it.

I hang my head in shame at how quickly a new book can look ratty around here, and I LONG to begin measures described here in various threads for book preservation (old library buys which have reinforced covers do stand up better), and I'm WRACKING MY BRAIN to find an organization solution that helps organize books in a way that little ones can put them back NEATLY.

I have never been able to institute the "nature walk."

I bought a house with acreage next to a nature preserve so my children could immerse themselves in nature, but with hip issues during pregnancy, big needy babies, and back issues post pregnancy, I can't seem to enjoy the outdoors with my children. Still a goal, though.

I am a music major and have taught piano for money, but I can't seem to get things going to teach my own child piano.

I love Right Start Math but can't seem to devote the face time, so my oldest does Math Mammoth independently, which I'd initial bought to be "supplemental."

Not that its really a "confession" to switch methods or curriculum choices, but I have no "plan" for Math Mammoth beyond making sure he's doing "some math" each week while I continue procrastinating using Right Start "until the baby comes, the baby is older, etc..." and telling myself "he's only 5, he's only 6, he's only 7, etc..."

The bright side is that those combined with countless other would be confessions have produced children who make a great argument for unschooling. Despite my best efforts (or worst???), I can't seem to stop them from learning as long as there are good books around.

And, as I have heard the scorn with which the word "unschooling" is tossed around in my local group, I am not sure I would have Mary's courage to share my confessions openly there.

That's why I love it here

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote Chris V

What a great read this morning!

I have nothing to confess. We're perfect.

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote amyable

Chris V wrote:

There, there, dear...you just keep thinking that. The nice men with the comfy white coat will come soon to take you to the comfy padded room.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Mary Fifer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote Mary Fifer

~ And today we went to a funeral Mass, and the burial, and the breakfast all the while thinking that my parents had known the star of the show --- and she'd not ever heard of them. I thought that I was representing the family.

Oh, well.

May God rest her soul.

Back to Top View Mary Fifer's Profile Search for other posts by Mary Fifer Visit Mary Fifer's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

amyable wrote:
Chris V wrote:

There, there, dear...you just keep thinking that. The nice men with the comfy white coat will come soon to take you to the comfy padded room.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

We can really relate to so many of these! One of our favorite homeschool phrases/excuses is "That's the beauty of homeschooling!"! I've used it so often that dc now echo it back, esepcially when they're lobbying for a special privilege like staying up late to enjoy some pursuit or another!

ALL of these "confessions" really do reflect "the beauty of homeschooling!"! ~~~ being able to choose our own way of life from one precious day to another!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 11:49am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

You are so right, Servant!!! I think that is why it is so fun to "confess" because it is the reality of the method/lifestyle of home education. It is especially freeing for people who feel everyone else around them has this idealic, perfect steroetyped world. It helps to look at realistic pictures of home education - not some unrealistic ideal. Since most of us who gather here have an outside the box approach to home education it is all tongue in check. This is why I do love home education!

Oh, and having just visited the book collections thread I am confessing to not have extensive book collections of any series - my lack of spending money (even for lots of used) and my exploitation of the local library system (up to 200 items out at a time - currently at 150 as I checked out a couple more piles yesterday to bring it up from what I reported) feeds my book addiction and appetite.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
Oh, and having just visited the book collections thread I am confessing to not have extensive book collections of any series - my lack of spending money (even for lots of used) and my exploitation of the local library system (up to 200 items out at a time - currently at 150 as I checked out a couple more piles yesterday to bring it up from what I reported) feeds my book addiction and appetite.

See, now, I don't view this as a confession. I think my awful longing to *own* books is a serious confession. We also check out loads of books, and yet I still have need to buy some? Not just some, but lots!
Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:
MaryM wrote:

See, now, I don't view this as a confession. I think my awful longing to *own* books is a serious confession. We also check out loads of books, and yet I still have need to buy some? Not just some, but lots!

Yes, but this is CM/living book board - by definition we would all be book collectors...

Our Domestic Church

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Ladies, you have made my day!

Mackfam wrote:
MaryM wrote:
~Lesson plans can be found scribbled on post-it notes in my purse

I KNEW IT!!!!!! I knew you loved Post-its!!!!

And who doesn't?

From this point on, can we refer to Donna as "Dangerous Donna"? Has a ring to it, don't you think?!

lapazfarm wrote:
The Princess Bride, O Brother Where Art Thou, or Airplane.

...Napoleon Dynamite...Planes, Trains, and Automobiles...What About Bob...

Chris V, can I shine your halo for you?

OK...my confessions, trying not to repeat:

>>>> I have delegated math 100% (to my dh, dss, Kumon, anyone but me.)

>>>> I am including a big section of Broadway musicals into my high school sophomore's Art and Music appreciation...because I love musicals.

>>>> We all still think Beethoven's Wig (series) is hilarious.

>>>> We study baseball with an intensity that is rarely seen in other subjects.

>>>> I'm buying fewer books these days because I'm buying clothes and pretty girl things for myself, long neglected. I'm not sure which is cheaper.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

Mary Fifer wrote:
~ And today we went to a funeral Mass, and the burial, and the breakfast all the while thinking that my parents had known the star of the show --- and she'd not ever heard of them. I thought that I was representing the family.

Oh, well.

May God rest her soul.

I am sorry, but this is laugh-out-loud funny. Tears are rolling down my face.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Thought of another confession from this thread.

We don't go to the library. Ever.           

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mary Fifer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Fifer

Oh, yes. I must not have done a complete examination of conscience.

~The library? It was so much work trying to find good books that I gave up.

One saving grace: I inherited two giant libraries of books from my sister who had been a librarian (she moved out of state) and when my Dad passed away. We do read! Um... now that the children are, um... older.

The funeral? It was funnier reading it from your quote than it felt introducing myself as my deceased parents daughter. Too much.

May God rest their souls and forgive mine!

:-)

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Mary Fifer wrote:
Oh, yes. I must not have done a complete examination of conscience.

~The library? It was so much work trying to find good books that I gave up.

One saving grace: I inherited two giant libraries of books from my sister who had been a librarian (she moved out of state) and when my Dad passed away.

I know just what you mean, Mary! And we inherited a good portion of our home library, too! From my mom when she finished homeschooling my brother and sister.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mary Fifer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Fifer

It's been a God send! Especially since my sister also inherited many classics from a school at which she used to teach.

~ Mea Culpa. I have most of Dad's good books and bought my sister's books for a steal!

Thank you God!!!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

amyable wrote:
Chris V wrote:

ROTFL!!!!!!

I can just HEAR YOU saying that, Amy!    So funny!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version