Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Easter story cookies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 13 2006 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

How about the recipe and Scripture verses for the Easter Story Cookies? I have this somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 13 2006 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Easter Story Cookies

This recipe is to be made with children, to help illustrate the passion, death and resurrection of Jesus. Do this on Holy Saturday evening, before the Easter Vigil Mass. These are meringue cookies. The oven will be hot, even though you turn it off for the night, to allow the cookies to rise and become hollow.

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 300°F.
Place pecans in the ziploc bag. Have the children beat the pecans with the wooden spoon to break them into small pieces.
Reading: John 19:1-3
Explanation: after Jesus was arrested, He was beaten by the Roman soldiers.

Let each child smell the vinegar, noting the pungent smell. If they want, have them just taste it on their finger. Put 1 teaspoon vinegar into mixing bowl.
Reading: John 19:28-30
Explanation: When Jesus said "I thirst" when dying on the cross the soldiers gave Him vinegar to drink.

Add egg whites to the vinegar. Eggs represent new life.
Reading: John 10:10-11
Explanation: Jesus gave His life to give us life, and on Easter Sunday He came back to life.

Sprinkle a little salt into each child's hand. Let them taste it and brush the rest into the bowl.
Reading: Luke 23:27
Explanation: The salt represents the salty tears shed by Jesus' followers, and the bitterness of our own sin.

So far the ingredients are not very appetizing. Add 1 cup sugar.
Reading: Psalm 34:8 and John 3:16
Explanation: The sweetest part of the story is that Jesus died because He loves us. He wants us to know and belong to Him.

Beat with a mixer on high speed for 12 to 15 minutes until stiff peaks are formed.
Reading: Isaiah 1:18 and John 3:1-3
Explanation: The color white represents the purity in God's eyes of those whose sins have been washed clean by Jesus' sufferings and death.

Fold in broken nuts. Drop by teaspoons onto wax paper covered cookie sheet.
Reading: Matt. 27:57-60
Explanation: Each mound reminds us of the rocky tomb where Jesus' body was laid.

Put the cookie sheet in the oven, close the door and turn the oven OFF. Give each child a piece of tape and seal the oven door.
Reading: Matt. 27:65-66
Explanation: Jesus' tomb was sealed with a large stone and soldiers guarded the entrance.

GO TO BED!
Reading: John 16:20 and 22
Explanation: The children may feel sad to leave the cookies in the oven overnight without seeing or tasting the results right away. Jesus' followers were in despair when the tomb was sealed.

On Easter morning, open the oven and give everyone a cookie. Notice the cracked surface and take a bite. The cookies are hollow!
Reading: Matt. 28:1-9
Explanation: On the first Easter Jesus' followers were amazed to find the tomb open and empty.

I also found some similar type ideas:
Resurrection Rolls

This is a "Resurrection Cake" but it's more display that wonderment...you create the hole, I believe: Resurrection Cake

I also found ">"The Forgotten Cake"...but I'm not sure it turns out too hollow, but it has the same premise as the cookies.

This cake can literally be put into the oven just before you go to bed, and will be waiting for you when you get up on Easter morning. It's really a meringue rather than a cake, this recipe may well become one of your favorites because of its ease of preparation, and it's a sure crowd-pleaser as well.

THE FORGOTTEN CAKE

6 egg whites
1/2 tsp (2 ml) cream of tartar
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) sugar
1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract

Add the cream of tartar to the egg whites and beat until stiff. Add the sugar one tablespoon (15 ml) at a time as you continue beating the egg whites. Beat in the salt and the vanilla.

Spoon the mixture into a buttered 6 x 8 inch (15 x 20 cm) pan and place in a preheated 450F (230C) oven and immediately turn off the heat.

You may want to make shallow indentations, or wells, in the surface of the meringue to hold the topping when you serve it.

Leave the cake in the oven overnight or until the oven has completely cooled. Serve with your choice of ice cream, berries, and/or whipped cream. Serves 4 to 6.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2006 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Thanks Jenn!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2006 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Jenn -- This forgotten cake sounds great!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2006 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

I don't know how to tell you this, but I just came to print out the Easter Cookie recipe and realized that the ingredient/supply list is missing. Oops.

They are:
1- cup whole pecans
1-teaspoon vinegar
3 egg whites
pinch of salt
1-cup sugar
ziploc bag
wooden spoon
tape
wax paper
Bible

Thanks again for posting Jenn!

Happy Easter everyone!!

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 15 2006 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks, Jen! Here's one link to print it out more easily!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version