Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Meteorology living books? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary's daughter
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 09 2011 at 5:57pm | IP Logged Quote Mary's daughter

My 13yo wants to study meteorology this next school year. He has read a lot about it already and is looking to go deeper. Does anyone have recommendations?

Stephanie
Back to Top View Mary's daughter's Profile Search for other posts by Mary's daughter

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: July 12 2011 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

There are some old threads here that give good suggestions and additional thread links for living books and kits. Maybe ya'll have covered a lot of that already since he's read so much already.

Living Weather Books
WW is for Wind weather unit need books!

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: July 13 2011 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

There are some ideas here too.

Mary's daughter
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2011 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote Mary's daughter

Thank you, Janette, for the links. I will see if my library has any of those books.

God Bless,

Stephanie
Back to Top View Mary's daughter's Profile Search for other posts by Mary's daughter

juliana147
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2011 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote juliana147

Stephanie, The Weather Book by Jack Williams is a great resource, and easy to find. Lots of technical info, but presented in a colorful, interesting way.

hth
-juliana
Back to Top View juliana147's Profile Search for other posts by juliana147

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 13 2011 at 10:48am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

This isn't necessarily living, although it's wonderful to read, Discover Nature in the Weather: Things to know and Things to Do by Tim Herd.

All the "Discover Nature" books by Stackpole Books are really good!

We're so in to weather. For Christmas I asked for a weather station from Costco, and we (finally) put it up a few months ago. It's just so great. Being able to see the wind change and barometer rising and falling corresponding to the weather outside is just so wonderful. I do sometimes wonder if I should have become a meteorologist!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 13 2011 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I may have mentioned these in the other thread that Janette linked, but I thought I'd add them to this thread just in case. These are also not what I consider "living" books, but they have been fantastic references. I have a child who is very passionate about meteorology (she even listened to some college level meteorology courses available for free from itunesU) and she goes to these two books frequently. They come in handy as good references for a study of meteorology, but I wouldn't try to narrate them.

Weather: A Guide to Phenomenon and Forecasts (A Golden Nature Guide) by Paul Lehr, copyright 1957 - this is a fantastic and comprehensive guide to weather and very readable. I linked the entire page of search hits at Amazon - we have the hardcover.

The Weather Wizard's Cloud Book: How You Can Forecast the Weather Accurately and Easily By Reading the Clouds by Louis Rubin and Jim Duncan - this is my dd's favorite book. It contains some really good meat and explanations up front with many b/w photos of weather phenomenon. All the pictures of cloud formations are in color and printed on high gloss paper.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 13 2011 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Wanted to add a link to itunesU and the Intro to Meteorology course available free on itunesU. She said she learned more from reading living books, but she enjoyed listening to the course.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mary's daughter
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2011 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote Mary's daughter

Thank you, Juliana, Jennifer, and Jen! I just ordered some of those recommendations from Amazon and added a few to my wish list.

Jen, my son is going to check out the itunesU course. I had no idea those sorts of things were available!

Stephanie

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 13 2011 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

juliana147 wrote:
Stephanie, The Weather Book by Jack Williams is a great resource, and easy to find. Lots of technical info, but presented in a colorful, interesting way.

hth
-juliana

We picked this one up at our library sale for a fifty cents and really have enjoyed it.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 13 2011 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I keep going back to these books for living books on weather:

Let the Hurricane Roar by Rose Wilder Lane (daughter of Laura Ingalls Wilder)

And all the Little House books. The droughts, the blizzards, the floods, the ice-melting rivers...everything weather-wise.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version