Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Lapbook Ideas Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
TradCathMom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 13 2005 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote TradCathMom

I'm getting a bit of a feel for these lapbooks and can't wait to assemble one ourselves. I have noticed in other topics a variety of ideas for the lapbooks/studies:
Mini Books (is this like a little booklet? I think I've seen them called Minit books maybe?)
Wheel diagram (?)
Maps and pictures of all kinds
Venn Diagram (how would one do this for literature?)
Making up stories/poems along a similar line
More ideas?

I'm curious about more specifics of what these things are and how to put them together.

I am finding it is ever so easy to rabbit trail, so much so to the point that I can't stop myself. I went from looking for info on bees to discovering there is a honey eating konjikatou or something like that!

(BTW, I love this, it's so fascinating!)

of course the ideal in all this would be to actually see someone's lapbooks and notebooks in real life.... but I'm sure that isn't going to happen in my real life. Never see a soul around here, nevermind someone who thinks like I do about schooling!

Julie's stuff
Trinity Acres
JMJ * AMDG
Back to Top View TradCathMom's Profile Search for other posts by TradCathMom Visit TradCathMom's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 14 2005 at 4:54am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Julie,
Have you seen the pictures of lapbooks posted on this Forum? I was thinking that maybe we could choose a topic and lapbook it together. I could post each component as we go...I'm thinking about doing Eric Carle/insects after Easter. Would that work for you? Anybody else?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2005 at 5:02am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

Yes! Count me in!

teamgriswold
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 14 2005 at 6:03am | IP Logged Quote teamgriswold

We are just getting started on our CM adventure and I would love to do this with you all. Please count me in! We're planting a garden this spring so an insect study would be great!
Back to Top View teamgriswold's Profile Search for other posts by teamgriswold

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2005 at 7:01am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

This would be absolutely wonderful. I know that my kids would love this and I am finally feeling ready to start this lapbooking adventure that I have been putting off! I am NOT creative with arts/crafts at all, so I need all the help I can get!

And I know you all get this question a lot, but if you could just buy one book on lapbooking, which one would it be???

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2005 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote Courtney

I'm in! I bought Zike's book, but haven't really taken off yet on lapbooks. We'd love the insect study at our house! Courtney in Texas
Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2005 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

jdostalik wrote:

And I know you all get this question a lot, but if you could just buy one book on lapbooking, which one would it be???

I really like Tammy Duby's The Ultimate Lapbook Handbook available from tobins lab

TradCathMom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 14 2005 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote TradCathMom

Elizabeth wrote:
Julie,
Have you seen the pictures of lapbooks posted on this Forum? I was thinking that maybe we could choose a topic and lapbook it together. I could post each component as we go...I'm thinking about doing Eric Carle/insects after Easter. Would that work for you? Anybody else?

YES! I did see the lapbooks pictures, they are great!   And gave me a general idea, it was just hard to see specifics... I think I must be pretty daft I looked at some websites as well.

What a great idea to do a lapbook together! Insects would be wonderful, count me in! I'll just need time to get some books of course but that should be pretty easy I would think. I would appreciate a tutorial!

Thank you so much for doing this!

Julie's stuff
Trinity Acres
JMJ * AMDG
Back to Top View TradCathMom's Profile Search for other posts by TradCathMom Visit TradCathMom's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2005 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Thanks Mary Chris for the book recommendation; I'm more than a bit daft when it comes to lapbooking.      I ordered the book and I am looking forward to getting started!       

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2005 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Jennifer,
When you actually see one or hold a lapbook in your hands it will all come together!
Have fun!

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: March 15 2005 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

TradCathMom wrote:
Wheel diagram (?)
Venn Diagram (how would one do this for literature?)
More ideas?

I'm curious about more specifics of what these things are and how to put them together.

Julie, I am by no means an expert on lapbooking, but am posting "closer-up" pictures in hopes that it will help clarify things for you.

We followed Elizabeth's Gingerbread Baby plans. The wheel diagram is used to narrate the story, exposing the appropriate "pie piece" of the wheel as you go along. When we made the wheel, I had the pictures cut out and jumbled on the floor. The kids orally narrated, picking out the picture that went with the next part of the story as they spoke. They handed me the pictures and I pasted them in order on the wheel.
The Venn Diagram compares two versions of "Gingerbread Men" type stories. I think that as long as you have two (or three) books that have something -- anything -- in common, the kids could do a Venn Diagram for them.

"Cover" of circle story. The cover is a circle. A wedge is cut out of cover, exposing a picture underneath.

Cover is placed over this page and attached in center with paper fastener. Rotate cover to expose appropriate wedge of story as child narrates.

Cover of Venn Diagram made like Minit book (I think!) to look a gingerbread house.

Inside of Venn Diagram book.

We've also added appropriate stickers to ours and drawings from the Draw Write Now series.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: March 15 2005 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Elizabeth wrote:
I was thinking that maybe we could choose a topic and lapbook it together. I could post each component as we go...I'm thinking about doing Eric Carle/insects after Easter. Would that work for you? Anybody else?

This sounds wonderful! I would love to do this, and know a couple of local moms who are doing a gardening unit this spring and would love to join in too!

tgriff3
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 15 2005 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote tgriff3

My 11 year old is doing a lapbook about ancient Greece, on his own. So far he is doing really well with it. I don't know all of the terms for the things he is making for it but we found ideas on the internet and he likes working on it independently.

We've never done lapbooking, only notebooking so this is new. I would love to incorporate it more, I'm just not sure how to squeeze it in!

3 girls (14, 9 and 3)
Back to Top View tgriff3's Profile Search for other posts by tgriff3

TradCathMom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 15 2005 at 10:43pm | IP Logged Quote TradCathMom

Thank you so much for the close-ups Jeanette! That was helpful. Whether I can actually "see" these things as we are going along in our books will be another thing!

I look fwd to Elizabeth's tutorial!

Julie's stuff
Trinity Acres
JMJ * AMDG

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: March 16 2005 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Well, Julie, I'm not good at "seeing" things on my own. I can easily visualize things once described to me, and I'm great at copying, but I have a hard time coming up with ideas on my own. I think that once we've lapbooked a few more books with guidance (I'm really looking forward to the Insect study, and we're going to lapbook Salamander Room following Mary Chris' suggestions from last fall), we'll "see" things on our own more easily.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 16 2005 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Janette, thanks for the pictures. I am not good at coming up with these ideas either and it's wonderful to see how someone else does things. I hope to participate in the insect tutorial as well. Thanks again, and looking forward to lapbooking with everyone.

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Karen Rogers
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 16 2005 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote Karen Rogers

I have just ordered The Big Book of Projects and the Ulitmate Bok, so I'm REALLY new at this, but we need to make learning real and fun!

I'd love to join in whatever y'all paln to do. I need all the advice and encouragement I can get.

God Bless,
Karen

Wife to Dan
Mom to:ChristinaElizabeth Joshua
Back to Top View Karen Rogers's Profile Search for other posts by Karen Rogers

Schoolrmacres
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 17 2005 at 6:16am | IP Logged Quote Schoolrmacres

Please count me in for the Insect lap booking tutorial. This will be so cool...I too have been wanting to get started but did not know how.

http://achampionfamily.blogspot.com/
Back to Top View Schoolrmacres's Profile Search for other posts by Schoolrmacres Visit Schoolrmacres's Homepage

cashioncrew
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 17 2005 at 11:12pm | IP Logged Quote cashioncrew

Count me in for the lapbook training! Janette shared her Jan Brett gingerbread lapbooks with me and they were awesome! I am a huge scrapbook fan and there are some similarities with these lapbooks if I could just get out of my box and go for it! But I'd love to have someone hold my hand to jump! Please let us know when you start this and how we find the pictures (I'm still a newbie using this forum). Thanks Elizabeth! My babies LOVE Carle and the big guys will love to study insects! So it ought to be fun for ALL which is always good!

burgerktjds
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 19 2005 at 6:37am | IP Logged Quote burgerktjds

YES! We'd love to try our first lapbook---I have both DZ books and LOVE all the pics from different files, but haven't tried one. This would seem so much LESS scary to go through together with a bit of hand holding from ya'll. Plus, we will actually start Jeannie Fulbright (sp?) new Botany science after Easter (from Apologia for elementary children) so this could tie in really well. LOVE Eric Carle and thank you Elizabeth for all the encouragement and all the willingness to SHARE!

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version