Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Time in a Bottle Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 10 2006 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

mumofsix wrote:
I also get together with real life friends and family on a regular basis and couldn't cope without this human contact. Email and message boards and blogs, enjoyable though they are, do not substitute for flesh and blood quite.

Please don't misunderstand, I treasure my IRL friends. But they are few in number--I'm not one to nurture dozens of acquaintances. I'm happy with a very few trusted and dear friends. And those friends understand the real challenges that come with having a large family AND having a husband who is not home very much. When he's here, we're hunkered down, jealously guarding that time together. When he's gone, I'm not inclined to leave my kids, I've little energy for excursions because I know that when I get home, all the cooking and bathing and bedding will still be all mine to do. And outings with other families are awkward. It's not a perfect situation, but it's my reality for now. And like everything else, I hope that God will bring great good out of it. We are fervently praying for a change of employment. In the meantime, I treasure the resource this board has become, I treasure my IRL friends who understand and support me, and I'm grateful to have long distance friendships that really are deep and true and lasting.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2006 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Elizabeth wrote:
When he's gone, I'm not inclined to leave my kids, I've little energy for excursions because I know that when I get home, all the cooking and bathing and bedding will still be all mine to do.

My husband doesn't travel, but as a physician has very long hours and is frequently on the phone when at home. So, most things fall on me.

I know what Elizabeth is saying. . .

I've pulled out of all activities other than sports because I just couldn't do it anymore.

I don't do parties and social get-togethers either. When Dad is home, we enjoy his company as a family.

And although I have acquaintances, I don't have many friends.

This forum means so much to me since I'm alone so much.

I look at it as a season I'm in right now, and my family is happy.

I would love to blog, too, if I could figure it out.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2006 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Well...being on the west coast has it's disadvantages because now I have to catch up with everything that happens while I'm still snoozing

Seriously though, I am NOT a supermom, and have many times opted out of discussions here because I felt I was inadequate to be able to respond. That said, I felt a bit of a calling to put my words and my dc's into a blog format as a way of keeping an account of our schooling adventures. Now granted, I am really only blogging about the fun and happy stuff that makes me feel good and I hope is inspiring for others, but the reality is there is plenty of nitty gritty that happens in our family too, like our impending move that' supposed to happen but I don't when or exactly where yet??? And the daily balancing act of chores, meals, and mama time with my dc.

Please don't feel intimidated or lacking if you chose not to blog, it's not for everyone, just as home education isn't for the mainstream, but isn't this forum a wonderful place for us all to be able to express our ideas in a loving and kind way, I don't know where I'd be in my home schooling journey if I didn't have this medium to connect with Everyone's thoughts and ideas are important no matter if they differ from others!! Blog or not I'd never give this forum up
God Bless!   

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2006 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

Cay Gibson wrote:
Genevieve wrote:
I also tend to post when I'm struggling with something in my life, so I fear that I come across as selfish, impatient and unloving.

Oh, Genevieve, no, never! I love your posts and have never thought of you as selfish, impatient and unloving. Never!

Thanks for the reassurance. It's hard to read people over the internet than face-to-face. Sometimes I think I"m losing my people skills... or more accurately my adult skills.

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2006 at 11:46pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

This topic has come at a time when I am considering starting a blog, but have been concerned with all that Diane has brought up. I am not a writer at all. Give me a calculus problem any day and I am happy, but writing gives me anxiety. However, there are sometimes so many thoughts that I would like to get out to someone. DH is not always home. He's away often and will deploy in less than a month so I can't unload on him much. Whenever we get together with friends from our homeschool group after mass, I have difficulty waiting my turn in conversation because there's just so much waiting to come out. Sometimes, I have to remind myself to wait my turn.

I also do not respond to many posts because I feel ill equipped to do so. However, I have so enjoyed meeting you all through this forum and through your blogs. It's been such an inspiration to me.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 11 2006 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote Willa

KC in TX wrote:
This topic has come at a time when I am considering starting a blog, but have been concerned with all that Diane has brought up. I am not a writer at all. Give me a calculus problem any day and I am happy, but writing gives me anxiety. However, there are sometimes so many thoughts that I would like to get out to someone.    

I think you should do it, then, KC and others
I don't feel that I am very good at blogging. I know people who have the knack and I'm not one. I'm more comfortable with "dialoguing" forums like this one. Yet, still, I like having that little cottage on the web, my own home base. It's fun to drop into others' little cottages and see how they are doing.

When I first found the internet, I was so thrilled and charmed.   I felt like it was a huge complex city and I could wander around invisibly and walk into a library here, a store here, a newspaper station here.

But the blogs make me feel like I'm in a little neighborhood or community.   I love the 4real ones because they give me insight into how the 4reallers live and think, and I have a few others I visit because they have a tone that lifts me up or challenges me. So I say Go for it, if you can fit it into your day!!

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 11 2006 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Top Ten List for Mere Mortal Bloggers:

10. Write for yourself. If you like your blog or it helps you, that's good enough.

9. If you are not comfortable with writing about everything, write with a specific focus. How about that Calculus blog, KC?

8. For a theme, consider what others have told you that you do well or what others have asked you about, considering you gifted or experienced in that area.

7. Small is good enough. Keep it simple and set a time limit on how much you want to give to it. Make it doable, embraceable!

6. Have a partner to help. (My daughter helped me to set it up and she keeps adding cool things to it when I'm not looking    .)

5. Have fun learning something new. If it isn't fun and/or interesting to you then do something else.

4. Claim your little corner of cyberspace! Why should mere mortals be left out?

3. Trust that your friends won't judge you or be hurt by the fact that you haven't figured out how to read all their blogs or comment on them or link them to your blog .

2. Hang out with better bloggers, they'll pull you up!

1. Unless you are a professional writer, do not compare your writing with professional writers' writing. Right?

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 11 2006 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

That was so beautifully listed Angie I'm printing it out as a nice reminder for why I am blogging! Thanks so much!

God Bless!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 11 2006 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Angie Mc wrote:
1. Unless you are a professional writer, do not compare your writing with professional writers' writing. Right?

'
And if you are a professional writer, do not compare your house, your kids, or your schooling to anyone else .

Great list Angie!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 11 2006 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Gee Angie, your list sounds like a "Life Lesson" list as well "Everything I needed to know in life I learned from blogging.."

Take Up and Read

Diane
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 11 2006 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote Diane

Wow, I'm overwhelmed by all of the thoughtful and encouraging posts here---I was hoping for a handful of responses, and my thread runneth over! Thank you! There are things in each one that I want to respond to, but I waited too long and now there are so many, and---as usual---I don't have the time. It helps so much to know that I am not alone in my fears and struggles. I really enjoyed hearing your reasons for blogging and the blessings you've experienced because of it---made me want to jump right in---but I think now is not quite the right time for me.

Something interesting happened yesterday as I was pondering this in the midst of my dd's faith lesson. We're finally working through some of the CHC 2nd grade sacramental prep---not that I'm making her cram for the final at the last minute or anything---just wanted to add a little icing to the cake. Now I wish I'd been using it all year. We're racing through the lessons, and I am pleasantly surprised by the richness. Anyway, we were doing the section on Confession and reading about little Suzy fighting the dragon of procrastination...and it hit me like a brick. I realized that I can't just make jokes about a lifetime of being an undisciplined, disorganized procrastinator and then beg all of you for the magic key that will open the door of time. These are real sins in my life that I need to confess and work to overcome, because they are really getting in the way of fulfilling my vocation as a wife and mother. Funny how God can speak to an almost-40yo mother through a quasi-twaddly story written for a 7yo, but I suppose He is well aware of the lump of clay with which He is dealing.

Yesterday evening things crashed here, and I realized that I've gotten an even bigger dragon to battle. It seems to all be tied together. I'd appreciate any prayers you can offer for me.

So, it may be a while before I can begin my blog, but I will surely be enjoying and uplifted by all of yours. As I said in my original post, each one beautifully reflects your unique personalities and homes (and this is probably what terrifies me the most about starting my own.      IRL I've always been a shy and quiet person, but when I write, I tend to spill my guts. Very unsettling for someone who is used to keeping it all inside. ) Please don't compare your blog to others and feel that you fall short---how boring it would be if they were all the same.

Thank you again for all of your thoughtful words---you've given me much to ponder.

The Journey of a Mother's Heart
Back to Top View Diane's Profile Search for other posts by Diane Visit Diane's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 12 2006 at 6:31am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I love the accountability point and the analogy to the Teacher's Lounge. I also like the point I read on Amy's blog. Sometimes, what goes up is the ONLY good thing we did that day. It makes a blog kind of like a gratitude journal; you look for that one good thing. Before long, you are setting out to deliberately create that one good thing. And maybe, that one thing will breed more. But even if it doesn't, aren't our children better off for that one thing in the heart of our homes than a dozen mediocre things in the room of a stranger? And isn't it great that we can encourage each other towards those things and give each other ideas for those things, both on blogs and right here on the forum? One good thing could be good enough...

Cici
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 12 2006 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote Cici

I really have nothing inspiring to add to this thread, but wanted to post my sincere gratitude for all of your responses.

From you all, I have learned (too many to offer specific quotes):
1) You're not perfect?!? I already knew I, in no way, come close.
2) It's okay that I'm an introvert with a traveling/rarely home husband, don't attend merchandising parties, prefer a few close IRL friends rather than amass hundreds of acquaintances, I find myself drifting from my IRL friends I choose to hunker down and protect my family life/children and seek out to truly live my faith, and have come to rely on these boards for a "feel" of comraderie.
3) Have a pile of laundry that needs folding right now.
4) It's okay to start a blog and admit that I'm doing it to become a part of an internet community (and hence derive some sort of social gratification from it) .

And, I wanted to thank you all for your blogs. They are so inspiring to me.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2006 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Dawn has shared something beautiful and inspiring at her blog: By Sun and Candlelight.

Make sure you check it out.

And don't miss this quote that she shares:
My blog is a community; my notebook is my confessional.

There's a difference. A big one.
Well done, Dawn.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2006 at 1:41pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

In my first response to Diane's post, I said I didn't have blogging on my radar screen, ever. After reading all the other responses, I'm afraid my comment sounded rather rude. I'm sorry. After reading all of your responses, I think I understand blogging a little better. When visiting your blog sites, I felt like I was intruding on your privacy or like I was seeing words and pictures meant for friends and family only. Maybe that sounds weird to all you computer savy folks, but I'm still pretty new to the Internet. I think I'll just continue to observe.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2006 at 2:53pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Cay Gibson wrote:
Dawn has shared something beautiful and inspiring at her blog: By Sun and Candlelight.

Oh my goodness, thank you Cay! You have no idea how much your kind words meant to me today.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2006 at 12:44am | IP Logged Quote Willa

Cici wrote:
I really have nothing inspiring to add to this thread, but wanted to post my sincere gratitude for all of your responses.

From you all, I have learned (too many to offer specific quotes):
1) You're not perfect?!? I already knew I, in no way, come close.
2) It's okay that I'm an introvert with a traveling/rarely home husband, don't attend merchandising parties, prefer a few close IRL friends rather than amass hundreds of acquaintances, I find myself drifting from my IRL friends I choose to hunker down and protect my family life/children and seek out to truly live my faith, and have come to rely on these boards for a "feel" of comraderie.
3) Have a pile of laundry that needs folding right now.
4) It's okay to start a blog and admit that I'm doing it to become a part of an internet community (and hence derive some sort of social gratification from it) .

And, I wanted to thank you all for your blogs. They are so inspiring to me.

I could say everything that you said! except my husband works at home so doesn't meet the "travelling" qualification. But everything else

Take Up and Read

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version