Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Starting with Shakespeare Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
seeker
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 23 2011 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote seeker

My library has none of Nesbit's books, but does have Lamb's. I had planned on reading A Midsummer Night's Dream next spring which will be toward the end of dd's 2nd grade year (this is the selection Simply Charlotte Mason suggested for 2nd grade). I went through the story and broke it down into seven readings of approximately two pages each. I'm wondering if this sounds like a manageable plan... I've got first year homeschooler jitters, I guess...

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 23 2011 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

seeker wrote:
My library has none of Nesbit's books, but does have Lamb's. I had planned on reading A Midsummer Night's Dream next spring which will be toward the end of dd's 2nd grade year (this is the selection Simply Charlotte Mason suggested for 2nd grade). I went through the story and broke it down into seven readings of approximately two pages each. I'm wondering if this sounds like a manageable plan... I've got first year homeschooler jitters, I guess...

Sure does, Seeker! Sounds like a fine plan!

If you'd like to read Nesbit and don't have access to her book through the library system, you might consider printing MIDSUMMER from Theresa's links. You could compare the two side by side and decide which you'd like to use for your reading.

Nesbit's Beautiful Stories From Shakespeare

And...I see that Nesbit's book is also available from Librivox (note - I haven't listened to this...I don't know the quality of the reading or the narrator). Perhaps you could read one and listen to the other in the car when running errands! This would actually be a great way to get in a little Shakespeare!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 23 2011 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
Big help, Jen. I was trying to sort it out last night and it was a bit tedious.

There was one more edition, Twenty Stories...Homeschool Edition. Ever see it?

No, I haven't seen that one. I tend to look to see who is an illustrator - Max Bihn is the original illustrator of Nesbit's stories, and his name listed is usually a good indicator. And, further, I'd look to see if there is an additional contributor or editor other than Edith Nesbit. If there is, I'd stay away because that usually means the language has probably been updated/modernized, and often means that stories have been further abridged (they have already been abridged by Nesbit). Usually, if it's a reprint of the original, it will list the title (there are many variations as you have found) and then:

WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE - author (but he's not always listed for some reason)
EDITH NESBIT - listed in various ways...author, editor
MAX BIHN - illustrator

If you find a book with only these three listed and 20 total stories, it's likely a true reprint of Nesbit's original book.

EDITED...to correct my mistake! I have been calling E. Nesbit, EVELYN....but her name is EDITH.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 23 2011 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

I saw that you wrote Evelyn here and thought have I been getting the name wrong, so I went to look at my book and it has no name just E. Nesbit. So I went to amazon and it says Edith then I thought well maybe she goes by both names. I googled Evelyn Nesbit and it turns out to be an american model/chorus girl on Broadway in the early 1900's.

So now I'm really curious, is Evelyn just a mix up?

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 23 2011 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I thought I'd add our yearly Shakespeare plans:

** My 2nd grader is going to enjoy those animated Shakespeare DVD's that Jenny linked! (Thanks, Jenny!!) We may start with Nesbit after the middle of our year - I'll reassess then.)

** My 6th grader will be reading from Charles and Mary Lamb's book - the first half of the book independently, twice a week, 3 pages a day.

** My 10th grader will be reading Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew this year. We're using the Folger Library Reader's edition (I have a 1963 edition). I like the notes, definitions and plot summaries included in the book with the play.

DVD support for Shakespeare
She was excited when we chose this play because she said, now I can watch Kiss Me Kate for school! (This is one of our favorite movies, and though not a movie OF Shakespeare's play, it does have a memorable and very musical version of the play within the movie! If you've seen it...sing with me....I come to wive'd wealthily in Padua... If you haven't seen it, it's a good family movie!)

Classics for accompanying a reading of this play:
The Taming of the Shrew - Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton (1961) LOVE Richard Burton's acting in this!
The Taming of the Shrew - Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks (1929)

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 23 2011 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Grace&Chaos wrote:
So now I'm really curious, is Evelyn just a mix up?

On my part!

I got mixed up...and Evelyn Nesbit is quite a character, isn't she?! NOT our English author, E. (EDITH) Nesbit at all!!!

I need to go clean up my mistakes in the thread!

seeker
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 23 2011 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote seeker

Mackfam wrote:
seeker wrote:

Sure does, Seeker! Sounds like a fine plan!

If you'd like to read Nesbit and don't have access to her book through the library system, you might consider printing MIDSUMMER from Theresa's links. You could compare the two side by side and decide which you'd like to use for your reading.

Nesbit's Beautiful Stories From Shakespeare

And...I see that Nesbit's book is also available from Librivox (note - I haven't listened to this...I don't know the quality of the reading or the narrator). Perhaps you could read one and listen to the other in the car when running errands! This would actually be a great way to get in a little Shakespeare!

Jen,
Thanks for the links!! I saved the text in Word, and now I'm listening to the recording of A Midsummer Night's Dream. It sounds really good!

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2011 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Just had to share... Over lunch we've started listening to Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare at My Audio School. This is a free offering, so you don't have to subscribe. (I think it may be the same as that offered from Librivox, but I'm not sure.) All the chapters have different readers, but they're fairly decent. I started with Midsummer Night's Dream (ch. 1), but since I have boys, they weren't too impressed. Then we started skipping to the "boy" chapters, and my 8 yo surprised me by reciting a long passage of Shakespeare he's apparently learned by heart from Jim Weiss in _The Queen's Pirate_.

Go figure.

Anyway, he was most adamant that we read *actual* Shakespeare today after listening to the Nesbit chapters on Macbeth and King Lear, so my 12 yo dd and I pulled out Henry V and we read some of Act IV. Then what concerned my 8 yo ds most was that we didn't have a stage. So... I suspect that there will be cardboard scenery in my future.

Really good stuff. I'm hoping to see if one of the local Shakespeare companies puts on a "Shakespeare in the Park" kind of thing. I know there *is* a company not too far away...

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2011 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

I am chiming in late to this discussion, but I wanted to add a few recources.

Bruce Corville has some beautiful Shakespear picture books that are very gently and lovely intoductions to Shakespeare. The text is good but accessible to younger children, with many of the more famous quotes left intact.

I agree with everything said above about Lamb's and Nesbit's books. Many places, like Ambleside Online, recommended Lamb or Nesbit readings starting in year 1, my children were not read for these books at 6,7,8 years old. It wasn't until my first child was 9 or so that he could keep all of the names straight and get the funny situations that arise in Shakespeare plays, like a girl dressing like a man! However, I was able to introduce the Corville books earlier, which provided a gentle introduction to Shakespeare.

I also wanted to recommend ArcAngel Audo Recordings of Shakespeare. I linked to the full set but you can buy them individually. We are using Julius Caesar right now and really enjoying it.   We read along with the audio and it make the plays really come alive for me and my children. These are a great resource!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version