Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Packaged curriculum with NO money Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 08 2011 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I also noticed that on Amazon there are several high school textbooks like this one CK 12 Algebra 1 that are free on Kindle. There are biology, geometry,chemistry, physics, engineering and more. All free!
Even if you don't have a Kindle you can use the free Kindle for PC app and have the kids read the books on your computer.
Should be easy to plan--just use the table of contents as a syllabus.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2011 at 5:27am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

For a scripted elementary math program, you might look at MEP. I'm trying it out now with my rising 2nd and 3rd graders and really enjoying it. It's a British program; "Reception" is kindergarten, which they begin at 4, but Year 3, for example, seems to correspond to what an American third grader would be doing, even if age-wise an English child would be the equivalent of our second-graders.

I don't think MEP would work well for U.S. high-school math, but up to then, it seems like a great curriculum and is absolutely free. The only cost is what you spend on paper and ink to print out the materials: teacher's lesson plans, student practice books, other worksheets.

MEP is teacher-intensive, with mental math and introductory exercises that set the child up to do questions in the practice book, but it is all done for you.

You might also look into Peaksmart, an online math program which so far is free. I don't think it will stay that way forever, but as long as it is . . .

Got math on the brain right now! Good luck pulling resources together.

Sally

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 09 2011 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Book Swap sites like
PaperbackSwap.com and BookMooch.com
are also an invaluable way to get the books you need.

Primary Language Lessons, Faith and Life, Vision books...these are just a few I've seen on these sites. Pretty good deal for media mail postage- also easy to use and free!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

zookeeper9
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 09 2011 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote zookeeper9

Mater Ambalis is a free Catholic Charlotte Masson site. It has schedules and book lists that you could use.

http://materamabilis.org/ma/

Plus one saint in heaven Andrew 1/22-7/5/2005
Back to Top View zookeeper9's Profile Search for other posts by zookeeper9 Visit zookeeper9's Homepage

amarytbc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 09 2011 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote amarytbc

What CHC lesson plans do you need? I have a few that I picked up for review purposes a few years ago (I do some consulting) and also will be picking up the 5th grade one for the same reason. I could send them along, although at the moment I don't remember exactly which ones I have. Let me know and I'll go through my files.
Back to Top View amarytbc's Profile Search for other posts by amarytbc

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 09 2011 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

cathhsmom wrote:
We are in the same boat with next to no funds. I use CHC as written for the same reasons {health and lack of time} and buy as much as possible off Amazon using gift cards earned on swagbucks and Irazoo. It takes time but I get $15 to $40 a month in Amazon gift cards just from those sites. I also make it a point to ask family members for Visa or Amazon Gift Cards in lieu of gifts when possible, and use those to pay for needs.

If you have prescriptions filled regularly and have a Target nearby you can get medications filled there when they offer a $10 Target gift card coupon for any new or transferred prescription filled {use one coupon per script} and then use the Target Gift Cards to buy a Visa Gift Card which can be used anywhere. I just did this for $50 worth of materials from CHC that I couldn't get used since they are new.

Things I can't get off Amazon I watch Cathswap for a used copy cheaper or even a free copy. You would be amazed what you can get free. Post a list on Cathswap and explain the situation and why you need free / low cost materials and I'm sure you'll get some things.

Another option is to contact The Book Samaritan, they may not be able to meet all your needs but they try to provide as much as they can at no cost to families in need. They are not Catholic though, so if you just do a blanket request for materials from certain grades you may get some anti-Catholic materials since they don't know what is and isn't.

Wow, some awesome frugal ways to buy books!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 09 2011 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Joann,

I've been pondering your question since you posted and thought I would ask a few questions to round out what you are looking for.

::You said you usually make your plans. What materials did you usually use? Do you have many re-usable materials for the upcoming year?

::What approach do you usually take? Are you looking to change this approach somewhat because you need more rest? More workbook/check-the-box approach?

::What grades are you covering? Are you trying to make more independent work for all the children? Are you combining some grades or subjects?

::What are your goals for the year? Are there areas that you really want to focus, fill in certain gaps this year that got missed?

::You mentioned CHC plans. Were you going to follow that completely? Use their materials? Do you have them?

::Does your state require detailed plans? Does it have requirements for each grade?

::What are the aspects of a pre-made plan that make you feel that it will put you into a comfortable zone?

I was thinking that a whole plan already made would be a bit overwhelming when I've been incapacitated. Even if you do go this approach, you would need to streamline and plan your days, almost like an a, b, c.

A. Best Days you have better energy, are home, can work with the children for a few hours.

B. Good Days that are cut short with appointments and errands or naps, or not feeling super well. You are still involved, but weak.

C. Bad Days that just plain shot, due to health or appointments. Mommy can't do anything.

So, I'm starting backwards, but the first plan would be planning for "C". These are the subjects we must cover, and list each grade (I'm thinking the 3Rs). This is the skeleton. Have those plans made so that even if you can't do much, the MUST but MINIMAL area can be done. Worksheets, workbooks, children check the boxes about what needs to be done (Everyday/twice a week one chapter must be read, written or oral narration to mommy or sibling, workbook pages 1 or 2 a day, etc.)

"B" would be next. Then add on what should be covered in a perfect situation, and list those areas. Some of these could be independent workbook or other approaches, but not all. Carschooling plans for both "C" and "B" would be good.

Then "A". What areas need mommy; Maybe plan one day a week that you gather all the loose ends -- check over work, read-aloud, assess the week. This is the day that I would add stuff you love to do with the children....areas that could be whole family projects (picture study, hands-on-art, nature study, handicrafts). This area gives you sanity and pulls the family together, but on bad days it's okay if you skip.

Just brainstorming out loud. Just ignore if it's not helpful!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2011 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

JennGM wrote:
Joann,

I've been pondering your question since you posted and thought I would ask a few questions to round out what you are looking for.

::You said you usually make your plans. What materials did you usually use? Do you have many re-usable materials for the upcoming year?

::What approach do you usually take? Are you looking to change this approach somewhat because you need more rest? More workbook/check-the-box approach?

::What grades are you covering? Are you trying to make more independent work for all the children? Are you combining some grades or subjects?

::What are your goals for the year? Are there areas that you really want to focus, fill in certain gaps this year that got missed?

::You mentioned CHC plans. Were you going to follow that completely? Use their materials? Do you have them?

::Does your state require detailed plans? Does it have requirements for each grade?

::What are the aspects of a pre-made plan that make you feel that it will put you into a comfortable zone?

!

Thanks for your input, Jen.
I have always put together my own curriculum and plans from a variety of resources: mainly Seton, CHC, and online resources. Often I would make the plans as we went along, focusing on the seasons and the Liturgical year. The last couple years I have really just thrown things together because of my health and lack of planning and money. We have been just doing "survival school" and since my health isn't going to improve, I need to make major adjustments.

I have nothing for my 6th grader except Saxon 7/6. I had a long span between my 6th grader and his older sister,and I didn't have room to store the books.

I also have a 4th grader and two 1st graders.

CHC lesson plans appeal to me because I am familiar with many of the workbooks and I feel if I follow the lesson plans as written, my hubby can step in when I am feeling poorly and the 4th and 6th grader and "check" off what is needed to be accomplished on any given day.

My state (NY) does require a lot of reporting, so many online resources can't really be used, except for enrichment.

My first graders will require the most from me, since they will be learning to read, but I am more comfortable pulling together many resources for them---the older kids need more definite, concrete plans than they have had in the past---to save me from stressing out, especially when I can't walk or write well, and they will need to receive my help from my chair.

I would love my "good" days to revolve around nature study and Liturgical year activities...things that have been lacking the last couple years.

I am going to post this without editing, so I hope I made a little bit of sense.
Thanks so much for the wonderful help!
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2011 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

Would AO's Crisis Curriculum be any help?

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2011 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

Joanne, I wonder if you contact CHC if they would offer any older editions of the lesson plans for discounts. Personally I think the way you blog your nifty school projects would be great advertisement for them!

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2011 at 11:03pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

A Old Fashioned Education is a great resource that is completely free!

seeker
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 09 2011 at 11:13pm | IP Logged Quote seeker

SallyT wrote:
For a scripted elementary math program, you might look at MEP. I'm trying it out now with my rising 2nd and 3rd graders and really enjoying it. It's a British program; "Reception" is kindergarten, which they begin at 4, but Year 3, for example, seems to correspond to what an American third grader would be doing, even if age-wise an English child would be the equivalent of our second-graders.

I don't think MEP would work well for U.S. high-school math, but up to then, it seems like a great curriculum and is absolutely free. The only cost is what you spend on paper and ink to print out the materials: teacher's lesson plans, student practice books, other worksheets.

MEP is teacher-intensive, with mental math and introductory exercises that set the child up to do questions in the practice book, but it is all done for you.

Got math on the brain right now! Good luck pulling resources together.

Sally
Thanks for the link, Sally. I'm downloading these workbooks now!

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 10 2011 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Wow, from what I can tell, that OFE site looks great, but I keep getting a server-error message -- anyone else having that problem?

I think I'm into this free-online-curriculum idea all of a sudden. We were going to use a lot of Baldwin-Project books next year anyway, but at the same time, I was wanting some kind of complete spine, without necessarily having to buy written lesson plans. Just for fun, I've already roughed out plans for second and third grades on Head of the Class -- many thanks to whoever mentioned that one! I wouldn't want something like that to be our complete schooling experience, but boy, does it cover bases we never get to.

And yes, I really like MEP so far -- hope you enjoy it, Seeker.

OK, back to Joann's regularly scheduled conversation!

Sally

saigemom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 11 2011 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote saigemom

http://users.gobigwest.com/rosegate/index.html

That is the link for Rosegate Harbor and it shows how to do Robinson Curriculum for free. It has book lists with links to places to get them online for free, or you can check your library. It also has younger math and more in terms of free links.

Back to Top View saigemom's Profile Search for other posts by saigemom

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2011 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

WOW!! What wonderful resources!!!! I have been at this a long time, and I hadn't heard of most of these sites!
I'm pretty overwhelmed right now, but I will hopefully find time to go through these great sites.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

seeker
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 13 2011 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote seeker

SallyT wrote:
Wow, from what I can tell, that OFE site looks great, but I keep getting a server-error message -- anyone else having that problem?

I think I'm into this free-online-curriculum idea all of a sudden. We were going to use a lot of Baldwin-Project books next year anyway, but at the same time, I was wanting some kind of complete spine, without necessarily having to buy written lesson plans. Just for fun, I've already roughed out plans for second and third grades on Head of the Class -- many thanks to whoever mentioned that one! I wouldn't want something like that to be our complete schooling experience, but boy, does it cover bases we never get to.

And yes, I really like MEP so far -- hope you enjoy it, Seeker.

OK, back to Joann's regularly scheduled conversation!

Sally

Try here. Is this it?

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2011 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Thank you!

Sally

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 14 2011 at 6:47am | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Joann,

I would definitely encourage you to contact CHC and explain your situation to Theresa. They may just have a scholarship fund or other such thing that can be used to help you offset costs.

And I hear what you are saying about being in NY State and the different regulations. I am a native Pennsylvanian, and it is the same in PA for the most part as in NY.

Let us know how everything turns out! I will keep your situation in my prayers!

~Tea
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 15 2011 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

I'm sorry to hear you are not doing well :( I'll pray that your energy keeps up.

I can hear you on funding. I have been fortunate I always seem to manage. I'm using CHC next year for 2. This is only our 2nd year homeschooling, so it's gonna hurt.

HOWEVER, I have built a little nest egg doing a variety of things. I assist moderating a women's message board, I've enough to get EVERYTHING for my rising grade 3 and part of the rising grade 7. The rest will come from selling things. We are having a garage sale, that will help. I also request specific gift cards. I really don't need more things. OH, I'm getting a computer by using my Airmiles for gift cards, this will get the computer, as well as pay for gas for a couple months. I earned the points by doing auto payments with my CC. I also calculate all the bills and transfer money right away.
That savings on gas will be tucked away to start the fund for next year school. Next year it will likely

I won't get everything from CHC. I use a different math and spelling program for dd7, which I have already, so that is a huge savings. Other sites are cheaper for Saxon, so I will get it there for dd12.

So what can you do, or sell over the summer to get what you need? I'd definitely look for used items for the books. There are point programs online that get you gc too. So explore the possibilities.

I'll pray you stay strong!
Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

Stacy Y
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 16 2011 at 12:12am | IP Logged Quote Stacy Y

Wow, so many great resources here! Joann, I know that Seton offers scholarships and great payment plans, you may want to look into that? Being able to print off the lesson plans each week and hand them to my children is nice. It takes about 10 minutes for 4 children. It's also nicely pagaged when dealing with state homeschool requirements! When life isn't overwhelming, I write my own plans and supplement with all the "fun stuff", a lot of times coming from our local library (free!) and ideas I've found on blogs. But lately, those non overwhelming weeks are far and few between. God Bless, Stacy

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version