Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Books for Teen Boys Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 02 2011 at 5:50pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Ds14 came to me this week, he wanted me to find more books for him to read. As I walked around our library suggesting books I realised that we predominately have more girl books than boys and more U12 books than teen.

Ds is a voracious, eclectic reader so he had read most I suggested, Jules Verne, RL Stevenson, Biggles, the Bethlehem books etc.

With two teen boys (16 & 14) I'm now thinking, what are great authors and great series (my boys still love series)for teen boys.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 02 2011 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I've been doing books on tape for my oldest boy.. and some he's liked.. Swiss Family Robinson, The Scarlet Pimpernel, The Prince and the Pauper, To Build a Fire by Jack London..

on my list though I haven't pre-read or even done a search about all of these books..

Lewis Carroll
Kipling
Alexandre Dumas
H Rider Haggard (King Solomon's Mine/Allan Quatermain)
J M Barrie (Peter Pan)
Hugh Lofting (dr doolittle)
Edgar Rice Burroughs (tarzan)
Robert Browning (Pied Piper)
Carlo Collodi (Pinocchio)

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

rcarter
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 03 2011 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote rcarter

Erin wrote:

Ds is a voracious, eclectic reader so he had read most I suggested, Jules Verne, RL Stevenson, Biggles, the Bethlehem books etc.

I know Bethlehem Books does the Midshipman Quinn books, which my younger brother loved, and actually, so did the rest of us siblings!   
Back to Top View rcarter's Profile Search for other posts by rcarter

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 03 2011 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

A friend of mine was asking a similar question. I didn't have a list per se, but I was pulling out several lists online and books with suggestions. I think you have all those similar lists, but the ones I shared initially (Not specifically for boys):

"A Mother's List of Books" by Theresa Fagan
Books Children Love by Elizabeth Wilson

Some online lists:

Classical 1000 books
Eager Readers
Stephen Meader

This author is gripping stories for boys. Look for him!

And I'm sure you do this, but I look at Mater Amabilis, Ambleside Online, Sonlight, Emmanuel Books (MODG) for the extra reading and ideas.

Although I know they are extremely popular, I don't like everything to be science fiction. I like to present a healthy dose across the sprectrum.

Also, don't feel you can't go back on the 12 year old lists for suggestions....it's always nice to have some lighter reading books, filling in the missed treasures along the way. I'm really enjoying pre-reading books for my son.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 03 2011 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Sir Walter Scott and James fenimore Cooper are two classic authors he might enjoy. Also, Jack London, but I'd pre-read those. I think I recall that there might be questionable material in some of them, and I have not personally read them.

The Space Trilogy by CS Lewis could be interesting, as well as Tolkiens LOTR and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. What about the King Arthur tales?

Just tossing out random thoughts...

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 03 2011 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Adding in the thread 50 Best Books for Boys and Young Men

Thank you for suggestions
I know Xavier would love the Stephen Meader books so I'm going to splurge there and if the library doesn't have Tolkien's trilogy I'm going to buy too.

Some great titles here, off to check out the lists

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2011 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Howard Pyle books

T. H. White's Once and Future King

Hobbit and Lord of the Rings (my older boys are thoroughly enjoying Literary lessons from Lord of the Rings and my third son just finished and enjoyed Duke's Once and Future King program)

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 04 2011 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Just wanted to add my old favorite resource, Michael O'Brien's A Landscape with Dragons -- there's an extensive booklist in the back -- my boys have enjoyed picking from it. Of course, many are OOP, but at least still available at our library.

Also, two of my fave book review sites (by Catholics):

Books and Blather
Book Reviews and More

ETA: The first site is by a Catholic mom who uses "vatican flags" to rate the books, so if you're looking for age-appropriate recommendations, you can mostly trust her to help you avoid bad ones and zero in on good ones.

The other site (Steve McEvoy) is more of a book review site for *me*, as mom, to find out what's out there that my child might be interested in but that I should still preread. (e.g., I let my pre-teen and teen read Patrick Carman's Atherton series and my teen daughter Regina Doman's after finding them on this site, *AND* after I preread the books as well.)

So if you're looking for suggestions where you don't have to preread, I'd suggest the first. I still would recommend a quick skim-through for any books that go in the house either way, but the first is more helpful in weeding out any dangerous material.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 04 2011 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Martha wrote:
Howard Pyle books

I was going to mention him, too!

From this thread

Angel wrote:
I second the *Percy Jackson and the Olympians* series (from Marilyn's list and *The Mysterious Benedict Society* books. Also...

The *Gregor the Overlander* series has been a hit here.

Also, the Tales of the RAFseries by Don Patterson about WWII RAF flyer Harry Winslow get a seal of approval... the writing is a bit clunky sometimes, but... a whole series about WWII dogfights, with lots of detail about the planes? Definitely written for boys!

In a similar vein, the Bigglesbooks, written by Capt. W. E. Johns. More airplanes.

Oh, and my dad grew up reading the Tom Swiftbooks. I keep meaning to introduce my boys to these. Maybe this summer.

What age would these be? I know you're familiar with most of these, Erin.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 06 2011 at 10:17pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Eager Reader is for the middle set Stephen Meader is very pricey!

Stef

Booksnblather is for tweens, but I'm hoping when I have time to check out Book Reviews & More I'll have better luck. Thanks for your help

Jenn,

Mysterious Benedict is for the tweens(9-12) but my older ones enjoyed it too. Percy Jackson is promoted as 9-12 but I prefer my dc to be about 12 before they start reading heavier fantasy, my ds16 just received these for his birthday. I wouldn't say the literature standard is really for that age but he enjoys them.

Not familiar with Gregor, Tom Swift or Patterson. Although Amazon say 9-12 for Tom Swift I'm sure they would interest my 14yr old. And the Gregor looks like something my boys would really love, have just ordered from our library, thanks

Xavier is re-reading our extensive Biggles collection now. Amazon recommend them as Young Adult, nothing objectionable at all, just probably wouldn't interest my boys before 12.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 07 2011 at 7:35am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'll put some Catholic reading in the mix. I mentioned in Catholic Novels

::Owen Francis Dudley
Paul Gray/Masterful Monk series. Very gripping.

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2011 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote Angel

I just have a few minutes, but will throw in some titles my 14 yo ds has enjoyed lately:

Isaac Asimov's Foundation novels and I, Robot (really classic SF, NOT fantasy)

Rick Riordan (of the Percy Jackson books) has a couple of new series out: Heroes of Olympus and The Kane Chronicles. Garrett has read the first books in both series and recommends them.

He also recommends the Inheritance Cycle books by Christopher Paolini. Eragon is the first one. (I think this was the series written by a homeschooler?)

He liked Tolkein's translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, too.

Kon-Tiki and The Brendan Voyage are good adventure books. G hasn't read The Brendan Voyage yet, but I have and it's really good. I keep telling him he needs to read it. Excellent descriptions of storms on the ocean; you really feel as if you're there with them.

He recently picked up The Ravenmaster's Secret, but he hasn't finished it yet. I think it's not specifically for teens, but he says it's good.

More titles he can recommend:

Samurai's Tale
Ender's Game
Edgar Rice Burrough's Martian series, but watch what edition you get of The Princess of Mars... the cover art for that one tends to be   . That doesn't really reflect the content, though.

That's all we can think of right now. If I think of anymore later, I'll be back.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2011 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

My son really loved the Hunger Games trilogy and so did I.

But just be aware that it isn't for everyone. There is violence (kids killing each other for sport, war, etc), and kissing (no s@x), and it is set in a disturbing dystopic future world.
But if that's ok with you then it is an excellent, gripping read. The kind you can't put down.
Oh, and I hear there is a movie coming out soon, so if you want them to read the books first, now is the time.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2011 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Benson's Come Rack Come Rope would be good for that age, I think.

And I agree with Theresa's assessment of The Hunger Games. Even though it has a female main character, it definitely has crossover appeal.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 08 2011 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I found this article helpful: Darkness Too Visible

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 08 2011 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

As Theresa stated, Hunger Games might not be everyone's tastes. I had just recently read an article in the WSJthat mentioned Hunger Games.

It Was All, Like, Dark and Stormy

Planning our upcoming year, I've been pouring over books about books and visiting our library frequently. Today we came home with three different authors that have been mentioned before, but very boy friendly.

For the younger boys, Clyde Robert Bulla has so many titles! I had not idea he wrote so much. My son ate up his Vikings book for quiet time today. He narrated the whole story, but assessed that the reading level was a bit easier for him. So not for teen boys, but thought I would mention just fun reading.

We also checked out Jim Kjelgaard, which would be the next level of reading, perhaps a little regression, but books of adventure and dogs and boys always good.

And then, Rosemary Sutcliffe would be very perfect for teen boys. old thread with a long list of her titles. Roman times, Briton times, Arthurian...all gripping.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 08 2011 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

stefoodie wrote:

Oops! We cross-posted the same article!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 08 2011 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
We also checked out Jim Kjelgaard, which would be the next level of reading, perhaps a little regression, but books of adventure and dogs and boys always good.

I was just checking through the thread to see if Kjelgaard had been mentioned! His books are fantastic!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 08 2011 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
stefoodie wrote:

Oops! We cross-posted the same article!

They're different articles, and both offer helpful perspectives. Thank you for posting them both - I hadn't read either.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 08 2011 at 5:18pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Kjelgaard?? is he the one that did Big Red and Irish Red and Outlaw Red? good books

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version