Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: history DVDs that rock your world Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 03 2011 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

The Mission (16+) is a very powerful, moving film. I'm assuming it is an accurate portrayal of Brazil and the Church. But don't know enough history of that period to be certain.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2011 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

We've been studying American History so wanted to add a few we've watched this school year (mostly with oldest dd and a couple of skipped scenes):

Johnny Tremain (Disney Film)
Dances with Wolves (Kevin Costner)
Last of the Mohicans (Daniel D. Lewis)
Lewis & Clark - The Journey of the Corps of Discovery PBS (Ken Burns)
Glory (Matthew Broderick)

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Dove
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 03 2011 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote Dove

Not a DVD but two of the best WWII books I ever read were _Soul Of A Lion_ and _Between Silk and Cyanide_.

The second would only be OK for older teens due to some of the reporting of graphic violence that is historical. The book was EXCELLENT but I found it a bit difficult because you feel you know the people and then... anyway, it isn't a DVD, but it is excellent.

I loved _Soul of a Lion_ because the biography of von Hildebrand gives a layperson's eye view of the developments that led up to WWII.

I don't watch DVD's of wars, I find them too traumatic.

Back to Top View Dove's Profile Search for other posts by Dove

HeatherS
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 04 2011 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote HeatherS

Scarlet and the Black (I do have a bit of an issue w/the portrayal of Pope Pius XII in this movie.)

Life Is Beautiful

Pit Pony Takes place in Nova Scotia and centers around a coal mining family. I wouldn't recommend it for little ones, but interesting portrayal of the family life in that part of Canada. A bit of a sentimental family favorite as my Grandma was born & raised in Newfoundland.

I know it was mentioned before, but A Man for All Seasons about St. Thomas More is my absolute favorite movie.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 04 2011 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

The Agony and the Ecstasy

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 04 2011 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

HeatherS wrote:
Scarlet and the Black (I do have a bit of an issue w/the portrayal of Pope Pius XII in this movie.)

Life Is Beautiful

Both of those I really, really love, too.

This is a really hard question, because I have so many "favorites" and so many cover aspects of history and culture. These are the ones that come to mind that I have watched and re-watched and made huge impressions on me.

Bridge on the River Kwai
Best Years of Our Lives (post WWII)
Manchurian Candidate
Fiddler on the Roof
The Inn of the Sixth Happiness
Since You Went Away
Mrs. Miniver
Sargeant York
Pride of the Yankees
All the King's Men
Battle of the Bulge
Stalag 17
Judgment at Nuremberg
The King's Speech
The Young Victoria
John Adams miniseries (mentioned already, but we REALLY liked it)

The Upstairs, Downstairs series from the 1970s is so excellent in giving a view from turn of the century through WWI up to 1936, I think.

Charlton Heston played in great epics, like El Cid, Ben-Hur, Ten Commandments, Agony and Ectasy...all these have been mentioned. Just following him as an actor has been pleasing. They aren't all "A" movies, but I have usually liked them.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 04 2011 at 11:41am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Mister Roberts is one of my all time favorite movies.

It tells the story of a supply ship in WWII....not a high adventure job during the war...and how the crew copes. It is funny and sad and delightful all at the same time. It shows another side to war: carrying out all the mundane details while stuck on a ship miles and miles from home. It is fairly family friendly... have to watch out for all the sailors ogling nurses, though. The cast is full of big name... fun to watch them all when they were so young (and handsome )

The Caine Mutiny is also fabulous. It has a great courtroom scene. But the book is even WAY BETTER- one of my all time favorites. The author, Herman Wouk, has a wonderful sense of humor all through the book. I picked it up in college and couldn't believe I had never read it before. One of my favorite parts is the essay Willy writes on the Frictionless Bearing for an officer's training test- too funny. If you have never read any Wouk- treat yourself!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

amarytbc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 04 2011 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote amarytbc

For Chinese history, movies directed by Yimou Zhang, such as Raise the Red Lantern, are very accurate and moving.
Back to Top View amarytbc's Profile Search for other posts by amarytbc

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 04 2011 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

SeaStar wrote:
Mister Roberts is one of my all time favorite movies.

It tells the story of a supply ship in WWII....not a high adventure job during the war...and how the crew copes. It is funny and sad and delightful all at the same time. It shows another side to war: carrying out all the mundane details while stuck on a ship miles and miles from home. It is fairly family friendly... have to watch out for all the sailors ogling nurses, though. The cast is full of big name... fun to watch them all when they were so young (and handsome )

I wanted to put in a very small caveat. I really enjoy that movie...love Henry Fonda and Jack Lemmon in it. We quote from it all the time. It is hilarious.

But my parents waited until we were older for that movie because there is a lot of discontent and disrespect for the commanding officers, specifically the captain. It's a bit '60s in mentality, questioning authority, wanting to be active instead of not doing anything.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2011 at 11:46pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

What a fantastic topic; thank you!

Gladiator (17+)

Braveheart (17+)

The Fighting Sullivans (10+?)

To Kill a Mockingbird (12+?)

The Painted Veil (15+)

Andersonville (17+)

Joyeux Noel (15+)

Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken (6+ and a big favorite with everyone)

Our family also loves many, many sports histories too:

Cool Runnings (7+)

Eight Men Out (7+)

Greatest Game Ever Played (7+)

A League of Their Own (15+)

Chariots of Fire (7+)

Miracle (7+)

Cinderella Man (13+)

Seabiscuit (15+?)

StephanieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 05 2011 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote StephanieA

ST. BERNADETTE produced by Navis Productions.

OK...here is my take. BUY THIS DVD
We own about 15 DVDs total in our home...not many when you count how many books we own But this is a MUST buy. It is produced by a Catholic company and features an all-children caste (mostly homeschoolers). I wasn't expecting much when I rented it. But it is FANTASTIC, so we had to purchase it. It has history, humor (little things that will leave you laughing especially the older kids and adults), sticks to the story line, period costumes, and the girl who plays Bernadette ought to win an award. She is an excellent actress. We thought only one actor was less than pretty darn good. It is $18 and worth every cent, and it goes to a wonderful company who is coming out with a movie on Lepanto next. (And no, I don't know these people from a hole in the wall).

I also would recommend some of Ignatius Press' saint/pope DVDs with a caveat. People like Dr. Joseph Moscati, etc. They give a good feel for the time period. That said, some of the bi-lines aggravated us to no end. Why make up the biographies of such exciting people when the truth is better? Moscati didn't have this love triangle going on with this beautiful, sensual woman. St. Rita's story was reall messed up too. Oh, well. These movies do give a solid feel for the time period even though they make up some of the details. Some of the movies do so to a fault, but that gave us a shove to do our own research, reading, etc. that we wouldn't have done without seeing the movie.

Blessings,
Stephanie
Back to Top View StephanieA's Profile Search for other posts by StephanieA

Dove
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 05 2011 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote Dove

One thing I have learned in the study of various time periods is that you will find more errors in movies than accuracies. The fewer people alive who recall the historical period being portrayed the more likely the movie to be riddled with inaccuracies.

Nearly all movies will introduce modern ideas into historical settings--meaning the people on the screen fail to fully act and speak like people from the period.

Directors are notorious for disliking the odd look of actual period clothing and so rarely are the costumes accurate historically. Sometimes they are shifted to a different period because the clothing is prettier to modern eyes, sometimes the clothing is simply changed. Either way, the clothing no longer communicates historical accuracy about the people and what we wear is an expression of our period.

If you are attempting to teach history movies are not a good source. Entertainment does not have to meet a standard of historical accuracy that is important when doing education.

The only movies that you can be sure are reasonably accurate are the ones where enough people still alive remember the incidents to make it worth the while of the director to be careful.

Ann Seeton
Back to Top View Dove's Profile Search for other posts by Dove

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2011 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Quote:
If you are attempting to teach history movies are not a good source. Entertainment does not have to meet a standard of historical accuracy that is important when doing education.

Well, yes and no.      I agree that most movies are failures when it comes to having every detail historically accurate, and I fully agree with your point that modern ideas are introduced with abandon into historical movies. It seems to be very difficult for us to "forget" our modern pre-conceived notions and assumptions, or really to even identify them well. Therefore, it is extremely difficult for anyone (except perhaps those who have studied the history of ideas specifically) to step into an earlier time period and leave modern perspectives behind.

Having said that, I disagree that therefore movies cannot be used in the process of teaching history. A movie can give an idea of the general setting of a time period, fashions (at least that they were different!), and events. A movie is dramatic and therefore can inspire interest in a given time period. It is presented in a story form, usually, that invites retention of information about the time period. In short, while a movie cannot be the entire educational program regarding another time and place, it can be a good introduction, an interesting finish, and a vehicle to inspire a student to learn more about a historical person, event, or period. Documentaries which use primary source materials are especially informative.

Just like nature videos are not the "full experience", so historical fiction is not the "full experience". That doesn't mean, however, that it can't be used in the curriculum.

A few more ideas:

Ken Burns' Civil War (PBS)
Valkyrie (17+)

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2011 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Dove wrote:
One thing I have learned in the study of various time periods is that you will find more errors in movies than accuracies. The fewer people alive who recall the historical period being portrayed the more likely the movie to be riddled with inaccuracies.

Ann, I have to agree with you on this point, and perhaps movies have more errors than books, but in all ways there is no such thing as an unbiased presentation of history. We all are products of our time and culture, and no matter how hard an author or director will try to be "unbiased" or accurate, it just doesn't happen.

But with both films and books, this is an opportunity for critical thinking and great discussion within the family. We learn to identify the "angle" and inaccuracies.

The visual presentations in movies and films make times come alive and make picture memories a bit more than books. Of course, I'd be the first to say "The Book was better" and have been disappointed when an actor portraying a character is totally not the way I thought they should be.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2011 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Ooops, Caroline, you posted more clearly and more beautifully what I was thinking. Sorry!

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2011 at 9:27am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Actually, Jenn, I appreciate your point about discussing the "angle" of the movie producer. We spend a lot of time here on this kind of identification, whether it pertains to a movie or just to the evening news. Everyone certainly sees history through their own "lens", and our children need to be able to recognize these "lenses" if they are not going to be misled by propaganda.

I just have to share here that my personal favorite was an article we read a few years ago about global warming. Right in the middle was a sentence which stated that "last year a tsunami hit Southeast Asia, killing over 200,000 people"! Whatever your opinion on climate change, you have to agree that the tsunami had NOTHING to do with the climate...just a flagrant example of ignorance and effort to elicit sympathy for the author's point-of-view. We got a good laugh out of it, anyway . Ok, so I know, totally not on topic! Guess I just feel like talking today ...something new    

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

DianaC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 05 2011 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote DianaC

By far, our favorites are almost always biographical films about Catholic heroes. A few of our favorites include:

John XXIII - this encompasses a period from just prior to WWI through the 1960s and gives glimpses into many worldwide events. (only one scene that I had to ask my 10 year old to avert her eyes - a bloody scene from WWI)

Witness to Hope - our favorite biography of Blessed John Paul II - there were some tense scenes from WWII - so this would be for teens at least - but also wonderfully set in the context of worldwide historical events.

In The Name of God's Poor - our favorite biography of Blessed Mother Teresa - really gives a great glimpse of the culture and history of India - including their independence

Thank you for this thread - I will be adding many of these films to my netflix queue.
Back to Top View DianaC's Profile Search for other posts by DianaC

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2011 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Dove wrote:

Ann Seeton

Sorry. Totally disagree here. Movies can be a great source for educating, especially for history where, unlike other subjects, we can't get out and see/experience it with our own eyes.
Sure, we have to be careful and choose those which we feel are relatively accurate, but we have to do that with everything, don't we?
After all, there are no history cops out there checking up on things, be it movie, book, magazine, or television show.
This is our job. We discern. We choose carefully. We use what we can and discard the rest.
Most of the time it isn't that hard. It's pretty obvious that I'm not going to use the movie "300" to teach Greek history (though it was a fun follow-up for ds after reading about the real battle). But there was a fine History Channel documentary called "Last Stand of the 300" that I felt was reliable enough to use as a teaching tool.
Usually a look at who produced the show, and a little research on my part and I can tell which movies are going to be reliable and which are not.
So, no we don't just use movies willy-nilly to teach history, and trust that everything in them is accurate. That would be naive. But I'm also not going to pick up just any old book and use that blindly either.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2011 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Movies touch the emotions. And as long as you know movies are movies and not reality.. movies can be a great ADDITION to history.

Movies can draw you in. They can be inspiring. And they can make you care about the time period, make it interesting. And once you're interested you can learn more. And by learning more you know where the movie is inaccurate.. but that's ok too.

My kids LOVE movies based on books. Not because they portray books accurately. But the kids love to get to compare them and say what's different about the movie from book and they can be very critical AND still enjoy both the movie as entertainment and the book too.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2011 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Getting in late in the game. You all have mentioned most every movie I would have, including many of my favorites (I love about anything with William Powell, John Wayne, and William Holden.)

A couple of others we have really enjoyed are Chariots of Fire and Apollo 13. (I'm also a Tom Hanks fan!)

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version