Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Easter, Divine Mercy, and John Paul II Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 29 2011 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

May 1 is the beatification of John Paul II. It is also the feast of Divine Mercy (Quasi Modo Sunday), the Second Sunday of Easter.

I wanted to start this thread with brainstorming of books and resources to prepare for these three-pronged events. Easter is one day, but also a 50 day season.

I was planning my reading, and one area I wanted to emphasize is the Polish heritage and culture, particularly the Catholic traditions.

So for life of John Paul II, I have:

Picture Books
Lolek, the Boy who Became Pope John Paul II by Mary Hramiec Hoffman

Karol from Poland by M. Leonara Wilson

Inspirational Books spoken or written by John Paul II:
For the Children: Words of Love and Inspiration from His Holiness Pope John II

Every Child a Light: A Message to Young People

My Dear Young Friends: Pope John Paul II Speaks to Teens on Life, Love, and Courage

Letters to John Paul:
Dear Papa: Children Celebrate Pope John Paul II With Letters of Love and Affection

About Divine Mercy and St. Faustina:
It looks like Helen's Special Picture is impossible to find.

Saint Faustina Kowalska: Messenger of Mercy by Sister Susan Helen Wallace
I think this is a chapter book.

Polish Heritage
I think we have touched on different ideas on this board...I'll have to dig up some old threads.

I recently read a book I highly recommend. It's Out of print and seems to be hard to find, but I found a copy in our library and fell in love!. The level is Intermediate, and I think it would make a great read-aloud:

Up the Hill by Marguerite de Angeli

It's based in America, in a coal mining town with different ethnicities living there, including Slovak and Welsh, but the main characters are a Polish family. The father is a musician, teaches music and is the Church organist. They don't make enough money to support their family, so the mother works in a factory. The main character is their daughter. As the story unfolds, the book highlights various Polish traditions, and it covers the Christmas and Lent and Easter traditions beautifully!

It's very well done -- I highly recommend it! I can't wait to read it to my boys.

Please share any other ideas -- crafts, foods, books, websites in this thread!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 29 2011 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote Lacy

I'm so excited about this! Glad you started a thread!

Ok, here's what I have so far:
Divine Mercy Jesus Craft (This is a craft I designed, and it's printable, so it's very easy even for young kids to do).
Tie Dye Divine Mercy T-shirts (easier than it sounds, promise! Plus, a fun one for Spring.)
Divine Mercy Round-up post (Includes links to coloring pages, cupcakes, printable prayer cards, and a St. Faustina craft)

I also want to round up some JPII stuff. Also, have ya'll seen all the paper bag puppets I've been making this year of the saints? I think Divine Mercy Jesus and St. Faustina puppets would be adorable and a blast to make! I'm hoping to make some and post them, although I've also been considering making some printable finger puppets. I'm thinking of also making a JPII paper bag puppets. My kids just love them!

Also, a reader recently sent me an email with a link to a bunch of cool Divine Mercy Printables for kids. These include things like the story of St. Faustina, the image, word search, etc.

Here's another link I got in an email about Divine Mercy plans. She's planning on dressing up like St. Faustina- I love it!

If I post or find anything else, I'll come back and share it. Can't wait to see everyone's plans!

atara
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 30 2011 at 5:24am | IP Logged Quote atara

At the risk of sounding ignorant -

What is Divine Mercy? I know it's a day on the church calendar, but what does it mean and tell us about God? Thanks!
Back to Top View atara's Profile Search for other posts by atara

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 25 2011 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bumping. This will be this Sunday!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 26 2011 at 7:03am | IP Logged Quote Lacy

Ok, is everyone moving their May crownings to a different day? Could more be going on for May 1 this year?

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2011 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

Lacy!

I LOVE your blog! Guess what we're doing this week! My girls will DEFINITELY be making t-shirts :) With any luck my books that were ordered will arrive too and we'll have a great week of learning :)

Thanks!
Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2011 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

atara wrote:
At the risk of sounding ignorant -

What is Divine Mercy? I know it's a day on the church calendar, but what does it mean and tell us about God? Thanks!

Here is a very brief introduction to the Divine Mercy Devotion. There is more information you can access through the left-hand side bar.

Also, for anyone who is unfamiliar with the Chaplet of Divine Mercy prayers or the Divine Mercy Novena, here are two direct links:

Chaplet of Divine Mercy
Divine Mercy Novena

This is such a gracious devotion, calling down our Lord's mercy upon this sinful and suffering world.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 26 2011 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote Lacy

Alright I just posted a major round up of Pope John Paul II crafts and all kinds of stuff on Catholic Icing:

JPII Round-up of fun stuff

I found a lot of the links at various parts of this forum, so thanks for everyone's help!

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 26 2011 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote Lacy

mommy4ever wrote:
Lacy!

I LOVE your blog! Guess what we're doing this week! My girls will DEFINITELY be making t-shirts :) With any luck my books that were ordered will arrive too and we'll have a great week of learning :)

Thanks! I would have thought God would call someone more qualified to write Catholic Icing, but whatever.

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2011 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

Perhaps some one 'more qualified' would be too intimidating and not reach the same audience. You write in a friendly manner, seem approachable, kwim? You ARE perfectly qualified.
Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 26 2011 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote Lacy

mommy4ever wrote:
Perhaps some one 'more qualified' would be too intimidating and not reach the same audience. You write in a friendly manner, seem approachable, kwim? You ARE perfectly qualified.

Well, thanks!

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 26 2011 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote Lacy

Ok, just found some Printable St. Faustina resources, including prayer cards!

I also posted yesterday about making "Divine Mercy (ice cream) Sundaes". Find pictures of my Divine Mercy Sundae on my blog.

cathhsmom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 26 2011 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote cathhsmom

We're going to do the Divine Mercy Sundaes - it's quick and easy which is my kind of project.

I never thought to do Sundaes for it, and we already have everything.
Back to Top View cathhsmom's Profile Search for other posts by cathhsmom Visit cathhsmom's Homepage

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 27 2011 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote Lacy

Alright, I just posted a Divine Mercy Round-up with lots of printables! Hope this helps some of you! I'm totally doing the chaplet lacing craft with my kids. It looks like a great way to teach the Divine Mercy Chaplet!

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2011 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

My children's schola has been asked to sing Bose Cos Polske in Polish, on Divine Mercy Sunday. Reportedly is was JPII's favorite. It's beautiful.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2011 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

Sorry, I thought I linked to the English translation.

Here is is:
God, who has graced Poland for countless ages,
By His replendent power and glory,
Who has veiled her with his mighty armor,
From all forces, which woud have engulfed her,
Before Thy altar we implore this favor:
Our fathers' freedom to us again restore!

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 27 2011 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Bridget wrote:
Sorry, I thought I linked to the English translation.

Here is is:
God, who has graced Poland for countless ages,
By His replendent power and glory,
Who has veiled her with his mighty armor,
From all forces, which woud have engulfed her,
Before Thy altar we implore this favor:
Our fathers' freedom to us again restore!

Proud to be Polish!

Thanks, Bridget.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 23 2012 at 3:41am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:

Picture Books

Jenn, do you (or anyone else) have a review of this book? I've seen it mentioned a couple of times, just by title. Wondering what you think of it.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 23 2012 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
JennGM wrote:

Picture Books

Jenn, do you (or anyone else) have a review of this book? I've seen it mentioned a couple of times, just by title. Wondering what you think of it.

I have the book. I need to read it again. We enjoyed it, the text is good, the pictures are mediocre. Very cartoony. I think the pictures are why we haven't returned to it. I'll try to provide more of a review.

I personally preferred the images of Karol from Poland: The Life of John Paul II for Children by M. Lenora Wilson.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version