Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: History Spines? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 25 2011 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

So far this year we've been using Story of the World Vol 1 for a history spine and filling in with read alouds. We have also done a lot of the SOTW activity guide. We're not going too in depth. Mostly doing a light and fun overview of history chronologically.

Anyway, I was wondering if there were any other history spines you would recommend over SOTW? I have Vol 2 in my cart right now, and I know we would enjoy it, but I can't help but wonder what the other options are?

So what do you use for a history spine?

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 25 2011 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Krista

I'll think on this some more but for now, I found a few discussions, favourite world history book I found that discussion very helpful and one on three different core booksthat may also be applicable.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 25 2011 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Linking some past threads, in case it's helpful:   
Story of the World...Catholic?
Susan Wise Bauer's Story of the World
Story of the World 2?
SOTW
SOTW or CWH
How Do You Use Story of the World?

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2011 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

Thanks, Erin. I'll go check those out.

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2011 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

I am wondering if something like the Gombrich book would work well in conjunction with read-alouds like the beginning level of vol 2 of RC History.

My almost-seven year old says our history reading is his favorite of all our readings. I would hate to cut it out. I am not interested in doing an in-depth study of history until he's older, this was just designed as a little chronological introduction filled with living books.

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2011 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

....and if I did use the Gombrich book now (as a read aloud) and then later as independent reading for his in-depth study of history.... would that work?

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2011 at 6:39am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I'm trying to figure this out too! I'm undecided, but I've been reading all those threads!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

*Lindsey*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 26 2011 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote *Lindsey*

I am also in the undecided camp and am reading the threads with great interest.

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2011 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

By the way Krista, Valerie had mentioned in one thread that she was looking at History Odyssey by Pandia Press. It's not Catholic, but it has been food for thought. She supplemented with Old World and America for any history spine that she used. It would work for my 4th grader and *might* work for the youngers as a read-aloud. But it looks dry. I have never seen Old World's Gifts to the New that RC History recommends.

Okay not feeling well today and my husband "ordered" me to take nap.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2011 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

LOL. Enjoy obeying your husband! A nap sounds divine!

I will look into History Odyssey, thanks for the recommendation.

Right now I am leaning heavily towards just getting the CHW vol 2 text and all the beginner level books. I am still letting it roll around in my head for awhile, though.

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2011 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote vmalott

Krista,
Had the full volume 2 been published way back when I was looking at History Odyssey, I would've stayed with it! I'm actually looking at my copy of Vol. 1 right now, as we'll be starting the cycle over again in the fall. Sonya has done a great job of thinking this all through for us, especially for the supplemental literature.

That said, I think it would be possible to add a spine like Gombrich or SOTW 2 to use with CWH 2 if you find that the suggested Catholic text (Old World's Gifts to the New?) is a bit dry. I haven't seen it, so I can't comment on it.

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version