Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Boys Socks Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 17 2011 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

My boys desparately need socks. I've not bought many new. Mostly, we've picked up bags of used socks at consignment sales, but our socks are rapidly biting the dust, and my oldest is too big for most of them all of a sudden (part of the reason they are all getting holes!), but I'm not sure what to get. We have some Carter's socks in toddler size that are excellent and have withstood years of abuse, but I can't seem to find any that are in bigger sizes online and keep coming up with mostly baby stuff in searches.

We have four pairs of Hanna socks (the kind with grippies) that have been worn incessantly and have worn well, but I can't convince dhit would be worth it to pay $5 a pair for socks that might get lost easily.

I don't like tube socks and would like to get good quality socks with heels.

So have you found a brand of socks that are reasonably priced but will hold up well to boys?

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 17 2011 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

sigh.

I feel your pain.

I have been pleased with Auro socks from Target. The lines indicate the size of the socks which makes them easy to sort in the laundry. They seem to last longer than other sock brands I've tried...although they too have their breaking point. There are a variety of heights to choose from and they make church socks, too, which are nice!

Oy! SOCKS AND BOYS!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JamieCarin
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 17 2011 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote JamieCarin

No athletic type socks? Because I just got for my son at Walmart. They have heels, but are just plain white with a gray toe and heel. Nice and sturdy (he is a take off, put on, take off, put on type of sock wearer LOL)

Other than that check out Gap socks and Old Navy socks we have liked both.

Ad Silvam Ibimus
Back to Top View JamieCarin's Profile Search for other posts by JamieCarin Visit JamieCarin's Homepage

ctrivette
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 17 2011 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote ctrivette

Mackfam wrote:
I have been pleased with Auro socks from Target. The lines indicate the size of the socks which makes them easy to sort in the laundry. They seem to last longer than other sock brands I've tried...although they too have their breaking point. There are a variety of heights to choose from and they make church socks, too, which are nice!

I completely agree! My boys seem harder on socks than DD, but these do pretty well.
Back to Top View ctrivette's Profile Search for other posts by ctrivette

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 17 2011 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

No much luck here, Lindsay. We buy heeled socks and they are usually holey.

It seems after 2T-3T all moms with boys have told me that it's almost impossible to keep intact pajama pants, pants, and socks.

We like the Gymboree socks, but they can get costly. I have bought crew socks from Target, Wal-Mart, and other various places. Different brands, all the same result.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 17 2011 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Socks

Stores like TJ Maxx and Marshalls often have boys socks on clearance, so you can get nice ones for not too much money. The only brand I've had good luck with is the one with the American Polo horse on them at TJ Maxx... can't think of the name of the brand at the moment. That is the only brand my ds has not been able to wear holes in.

Jeans- argh. I always know spring is near when ds has holes and patches in nearly all his jeans.

Our local consignment store owner has told me it's very, very hard to find boys clothes over size 5 in good shape
I have learned to shop the sales and stash things.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2011 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

This is a funny thread for me. My oldest boy just turned 6 and his next brother four wear the same size 5 right now. I just spent a whole week patching about 10 pairs of pants between them. And what did I find in the laundry last holes in the patches .

Forget the socks. I gave up trying on those. My ds four always has mismatched or holes in his socks. I love the Gymboree socks too (these are ones he has mostly holes in), but at this rate I can't spend the money on them anymore (I'll reserve that for my girls). We've tried these from target too. Not bad so far. I don't like thick socks, but then again I'm not the one wearing them .

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 17 2011 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

SeaStar wrote:
Jeans- argh. I always know spring is near when ds has holes and patches in nearly all his jeans.

Sears Toughskins with double knee seem to be more lasting -- not impenetrable, but longer lasting.

The problem is the boys are gravitating to athletic pants, which really get holes fast!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 17 2011 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Lol, it is amazing. I'm considering splurging on some rip-stop pants from LLBean for play to see if they last better than blue jeans!

Ds 6.5 has worn through two pairs of Lands End Wellies, too. I've sent them back once, but when he did it again, I figured I couldn't in good conscience do it a third time no matter what their return policy says

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 17 2011 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I never get rid of any boys jeans that come our way for this very reason Occationally I "hit the jackpot" like the several pair of practically new size 8's we were given.. the boy in question had just gotten new jeans and then had a growth spurt

Socks.. we splurge and get smartwool socks for winter wear. I hunt them up at various clearance stores for at least half of retail. They last longer for some kids than others but most of them will last 2 winters. Dh and I have them last 5 yrs +.

And then I get Hanes or FOTL athletic socks for the summer. Just something fairly low priced. These last well enough since my kids go barefoot and wear clogs barefoot a great deal as well. The trick with this is always being able to tell the sizes apart AND who gets which size

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2011 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Oooh, does anyone know of a good source of socks for a men's size 16 shoe? My just turned 16yo ds wears 16 shoes. I have looked high and low, but am stuck with big and tall shops and extremely expensive socks.

Thanks!

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 17 2011 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

JodieLyn wrote:
The trick with this is always being able to tell the sizes apart AND who gets which size

Each boy and dh (2 boys and dh are now the same size) have their own colour theme. ie. One is white, another black, one with colour heels and toes.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 17 2011 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

yeah that's the trick alright Erin.. finding enough different variations

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 17 2011 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Stacy, my dh wears size 15 and we have bought numerous pairs of Gold Toe athletic and dress socks (for shoe size 12 - 16) for him. Sometimes I find them at department stores on sale (Kohl's, for ex.) and other times I can find them at discount stores.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 17 2011 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Don't forget Old Navy- they frequently have socks on clearance or special deals for 99 cents a pair. And they are actually pretty decent, lasting longer than Hanes at our house. Hanes seem to be the worst for holes.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 17 2011 at 10:00pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Just popping in here to see what I have to look forward to....

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

mamasue
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 17 2011 at 10:19pm | IP Logged Quote mamasue

I buy the target brand (circo?) for my 4 boys. They probably aren't the best but they are affordable and last about a year. I like them more than Hanes or FOTL- they seem to fit tighter
Back to Top View mamasue's Profile Search for other posts by mamasue

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 18 2011 at 7:06am | IP Logged Quote Christine

We buy the Auro socks, too. However, my boys tend to prefer the socks that a friend gives us, but I've never asked her where she gets them.

As far as boy's pants go, my sons don't like adjustable waists. They find them very uncomfortable. Unfortunately, that is what everyone seems to be selling. One of my boys has a hard time with reinforced knees too. He wears his father's dress socks up over his knees, so as not to feel the "scratchy knee part". Had I known, I would never have purchased pants with reinforced knees.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 18 2011 at 7:08am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

The winter edition of mater et magistra had the theme of boys. It included the introduction to Meg Meeker's book Boys Should be Boys which is really good. There was a phrase that keeps resonating with me:

Meg Meeker wrote:
Because rambunctious, healthy, young boys like testing the limits of their physical and mental powers...

And to me, it's great when I see holes in jeans and socks when they appear for these reasons. Not to sound sappy, but I want my boys to be boys!

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 18 2011 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Idea for sock matching:

I got this from my mil. She assigned each of her boys a color, and then used that color thread, basting it across the toes of the socks for each son. I thought it was strange she did that until I had my boys!    Very easy to match.

My older boys now use lingerie bags to wash their own socks.

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version