Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Secretariat & horse racing Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 05 2011 at 2:06am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I should have posted this back in the fall when we first watched the movie. Now it is out on dvd and back on my mind. We really enjoyed the movie and just rewatched it. Although it is one of those movies that you "know" how it turns out it still had me on the edge of my seat. The kids (especially ds11) really like it.

It starts and ends with scripture from Job:
Quote:
Job 39:19-24
“Do you give the horse his might? Do you clothe his neck with a mane? Do you make him leap like the locust? His majestic snorting is terrible. He paws in the valley, and rejoices in his strength; He goes out to meet the weapons. He laughs at fear and is not dismayed; And he does not turn back from the sword. The quiver rattles against him, The flashing spear and javelin. With shaking and rage he races over the ground, And he does not stand still at the voice of the trumpet."

The racing footage and audio is pretty amazing.

I was nine the year Secretariat won the Triple Crown, so there are memories of seeing this on the tv. The movie brought back memories - the clothes we were wearing (Secretariat's groom has a pair of red, white, and blue plaid pants that look just like a pair my dad wore), there is a little girl about my age at the time with Kodak pocket instamatic camera like our family had
- to name a few memory triggers.

And it touches on the theme of death of a father - watching this just a few months after my dad's death really hit me.

This movie was the center of an interesting controversy this fall. Some critics slammed it as a right wing propaganda piece - pushing conservative family values of a bygone era. Even Roger Ebert entered the fray defending the movie saying that was ridiculous (coming from a pretty liberal critic that was good to hear). Steven Greydanus commented on his blog. Guess that might be why I like it...

In reading about the real history and story, it is clear that Disney took liberties with some history and facts (does that surprise anyone ) but didn't diminish my enjoyment of the movie. Clearly he was not really the underdog they try to paint here. But it's a good family movie - nothing objectionable.

I'll bet you never guess that this sent us on a rabbit trail/unit about Secretariat and horse racing.

I Rode the Red Horse: Secretariat's Belmont Race - picture book about the last race of the Triple Crown told from the perspective of the jockey, Ron Turcotte.

Footage of the Belmont win (You Tube)

The Big Red Horse: The Story of Secretariat and the Loyal Groom Who Loved Him - chapter book we are reading now about the horse and his groom.

Secretariat.com

We also are looking the other Triple Crown Winners and finding out about them.

Learning quite a bit about thoroughbreds, breeding, racing history...

Any suggestions for resources on the topic?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 05 2011 at 8:14am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I think there's a children's book out there about Seabiscuit.

I grew up near Santa Anita Race Track, and now I live kinda sorta near Pimlico...we enjoy watching the Triple Crown races on TV each year.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 05 2011 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

guitarnan wrote:

Ralph Moody (who wrote the Little Britches stories) does have a Sea Biscuit novel.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2011 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Some of my favorites:
Man O War By Walter Farley

King of the Wind by Marguerite Henry

Any of the Black Stallion books by Walter Farley.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

krygerzoo
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 23 2011 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote krygerzoo

We just watched it this week and were all so fascinated by it! My hubby looked it up on youtube for the kiddos to see the "actual" race!

I agree... even though we knew the general outcome, we didn't know the amazing details!

Fabulous movie!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 23 2011 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

MaryM wrote:
guitarnan wrote:

Ralph Moody (who wrote the Little Britches stories) does have a Sea Biscuit novel.

Jim Weiss actually has a recording of it. It is excellent, another one of those stories that even though you know how it ends, you are on the edge of your seat!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 23 2011 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Margarite Henry's books are wonderful. If you're branching off into other horses, Justin Morgan Had a Horse is a great story. And her book of horses is supposed to have excellent information.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2011 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

Just watched this a couple of weeks ago. Great family movie!! My mother-in-law and her mother watched with all of us. We all enjoyed it !!

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 23 2011 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

My husband and I just watched it, also, and enjoyed it. Although I'm not a fan of most 60s-70s clothes, I really loved the main character's clothing -- very classic.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2011 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

We did a wonderful study on horses a few years back using the resource from Beautiful Feet entitled History of the Horse. It was very well planned out and easy to use, and I don't recall now that we had to do any "tweaking" (the author/publisher writes from a Protestant point of view). It is based on King of the Wind and a few other books. This unit study has some copywork, lots of reading,and some math, geography, history.

Another good movie is Miracle of the White Stallions, which tells the true story of the rescue of the Lipizzaner stallions from behind the Russian lines during WWII. It has fabulous footage of the actual Lipizzaners performing in the Spanish Riding School in Vienna. Wonderful to see!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2011 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

And I'm sure you're aware of The Black Stallion. It is more closely tied to racing than the Miracle of the White Stallions I linked to above.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 23 2011 at 5:09pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

ah ha.. that's the problem with learning most of your history of horses when you were 11.. I had to go hunting up info on Man O' War and Secretariat because I KNEW Man O' War had been called Big Red but didn't know or forgot that Secretariat was as well. So when he was refered that way in some reviews and such I was but they were apparently both called "Big Red" for their color, Man O' War being the original and Secretariat apparently also in tribute to his ancestor Man O' War.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

krygerzoo
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 23 2011 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote krygerzoo

So I swung on over to Goodwill tonight before my grocery shopping and found HORSE SENSE the "200 facts about horses" board game by Breyer for $2!!

Can't wait to play it tomorrow!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 24 2011 at 12:50am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

krygerzoo wrote:
So I swung on over to Goodwill tonight before my grocery shopping and found HORSE SENSE the "200 facts about horses" board game by Breyer for $2!!

Great find .

Homeschool Share has a Kentucky Derby Unit & Lapbook.

Our Domestic Church

krygerzoo
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 24 2011 at 6:37am | IP Logged Quote krygerzoo

Thanks, Mary! I'm going to go check that out! Clairie will really enjoy that!

Mrs. B
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 29 2011 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote Mrs. B

In addition to what has been mentioned, you could check out the story of Ruffian. She was a very popular filly who was raced against the boys and if I remember correctly went for the triple crown, but she broke down at the end.
Back to Top View Mrs. B's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs. B

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version