Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Our Lady of Guadalupe Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 20 2011 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I've recommended this book in the Advent/Christmas threads before. It is a beautiful book with pop ups. It has been really difficult to find (in English) and was pretty expensive if you could find it. It was just reprinted and released again earlier this month. I'm very excited to see this back in circulation for easier purchase. It's a gem.

Our Lady of Guadalupe - Francisco Serrano

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2011 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

AARRGGHH!!! I put a moratorium on buying books here until I get the shelves purged...absolutely no more room ! This looks SO good...Ooohh...I want to buy it RIGHT NOW! But I had to put it on my Wish List!

I don't even want to think about the length of my Wish List once I start buying books again....

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2011 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm right there with you, Caroline! My wish list is long, the finances are tight! But this sonds like a real winner! We love OLGuadalupe!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 05 2011 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

In searching old threads for Our Lady of Guadalupe children's book resources, I found we didn't have one. There are a couple books like Tomie dePaola's Our Lady of Guadalupe which gets mentioned.

Thought I'd bump this thread that already has a OLoG picture book (pop-up) recommendation and add to it, as a OLoG resource list of children's books.

We have the little Fr. Lovasik book, Our Lady of Guadalupe: Our Lady of the Americas

Jen has this one - The Story of Our Lady of Guadalupe Empress of the Americas listed on her great Advent & Christmas book blog post.

This week I found 2 oop books from the 1940-50's that I would add:

Our Lady and the Aztecs by Josephine O'Neil, illustrated by Fr. Justin McCarthy - I really enjoyed this book. She is a good storyteller. It's technically not a picture book, but it is a very easy chapter book, only 63 pages (big print) and great illustrations in each chapter. I think it does a good job of portraying all the characters in the story in the way that I understand the events to have been reported.

Our Lady of guadalupe by Helen Rand Parish - Also a simple chapter book, but shorter than the above book. This is a decent overview and the story Paints the bishop in a much more negative light - more than doubting. The author seems to have taken more liberties. I would say this book invokes more emotion of Juan Diego's fear and he is pursued by his overseer's men and then by some soldiers. It appears to have been reprinted.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 05 2011 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

This book is not about OLg per se, but it is a beautiful story of a Mexican family and being grateful for what you have. The pictures are gorgeous, and on one page there is a picture of OLG hanging on the wall. I love the way it is just there, part of this family's life.

It is a birthday story and could be used as a great spring board for discussing Jesus' birthday, how he was also poor, what we can give to Jesus, etc.

Manuela's Gift

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 05 2011 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

SeaStar wrote:
This book is not about OLg per se, but it is a beautiful story of a Mexican family and being grateful for what you have. The pictures are gorgeous, and on one page there is a picture of OLG hanging on the wall. I love the way it is just there, part of this family's life.

It is a birthday story and could be used as a great spring board for discussing Jesus' birthday, how he was also poor, what we can give to Jesus, etc.

Manuela's Gift

Thanks - yes, love to hear about books where OLoG is just part of the life - not necessarily the focus of the text.

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 05 2011 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

That sounds great, Melinda! I'll have to find that one. I have been adding Spirit Child to our Our Lady of Guadalupe pile, since it's how St. Juan Diego would have heard about the birth of Christ and Christianity.

Mary, you've read most of Leo Politi books. Aren't there any that cover or incorporate customs of Our Lady of Guadalupe?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2011 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:
Mary, you've read most of Leo Politi books. Aren't there any that cover or incorporate customs of Our Lady of Guadalupe?

Posadas customs but not OLoG...

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I think this book has OLoG images on the family's wall just as a part of the family life. I need to check it out again to make sure.

N is for Navidad

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 14 2011 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
I think this book has OLoG images on the family's wall just as a part of the family life. I need to check it out again to make sure.

N is for Navidad

Yes, Ll for llegada, has OLOG as the image for the calendar.

Just checked it out, Mary, and what a great book! A great one that captures the Latino Christmas customs in a unique way!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 27 2012 at 11:10pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Just read a new OLoG picture book this is really nice. Uses Catholic language (Mass, confession, - not "services",etc.) Within the text of the story is woven explanations of the symbolism of Our Lady under this title. The afterword/author's note is thorough and further explains the history and symbolism. It seems a fair representation of the bishop as well - in some books he is portrayed very negatively. In this he is seen as doubting but not hostile or negative. The illustrations are nice and feel like they fit the time-frame and story.

Our Lady of Guadalupe - Carmen Bernier-Grand

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

The Beautiful Lady: Our Lady of Guadalupe (Pat Mora)

Where as most of the OLoG picture books tell the story of the apparition, this one is a story within a story and includes customs of honoring her. It is the story of two girls and a grandmother as they talk about the statue of OLoG and prepare for her feast day. The grandmother then tells them the story of Our Lady, so that is the middle portion of the book. It is a sweet story and the bishop is portrayed kindly. I like that is shows a family honoring her on her feast day - they make rose cookies (I wish there was a recipe!)

Our Domestic Church

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Straight on the wish list

You always find good ones, Mary

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:

Where as most of the OLoG picture books tell the story of the apparition, this one is a story within a story and includes customs of honoring her. It is the story of two girls and their grandmother as they talk about the statue of OLoG and prepare for her feast day. The grandmother then tells them the story of Our Lady, so that is the middle portion of the book. It is a sweet story and the bishop is portrayed kindly. I like that is shows a family honoring her on her feast day - they make rose cookies (I wish there was a recipe!)

I liked this book, but I would never use it as a way to present OLG as a stand-alone. It would be a companion book. This book illustrates more the family customs. The grandmother has her granddaughter and the granddaughter's friend, and they hear the story of OLG. I get the impression the friend might not even be Catholic.

My hesitation in this book is that there is no explanation of who is this Lady? She is not mentioned as Mary, Mother of God. And OLG is not presented in context with the Catholic Faith. The latter isn't necessary in reading to my children because I am presenting with in context of OUR Faith. But when Our Lady even says who she is within the apparitions, I do like to have that focus within the story.

That's my little reservation. Of the two new ones this year, Our Lady of Guadalupe by Carmen Bernier-Grand is my favorite. It rivals Tomie dePaola's version for me, except I love how presents how humble and patient Juan Diego is. And straight off in the book there is no doubting that this beautiful lady is the Mother of God.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 21 2013 at 1:27am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Jenn, meant to come back to this. I agree it isn't a stand alone for teaching about OLoG. It doesn't have the spiritual dimension, but as a book to add to the reading around the feast day, I think it is good. It has grown on me since the first reading - when what stuck out to me was that lack spirituality. And I also prefer the Bernier-Grand one, but like this one too.

Our Domestic Church

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 27 2013 at 4:11am | IP Logged Quote Erin

MaryM wrote:

Where as most of the OLoG picture books tell the story of the apparition, this one is a story within a story and includes customs of honoring her. It is the story of two girls and a grandmother as they talk about the statue of OLoG and prepare for her feast day. The grandmother then tells them the story of Our Lady, so that is the middle portion of the book. It is a sweet story and the bishop is portrayed kindly. I like that is shows a family honoring her on her feast day - they make rose cookies (I wish there was a recipe!)

For anyone who buys from Book Depository this has just been reduced a little.

Mary, would you pay $16 for it?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 27 2013 at 11:49am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

For the Our Lady of Guadalupe by Carmen Bernier-Grand that is in the link, I would. Probably not for the Mora one.

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 27 2013 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
For the Our Lady of Guadalupe by Carmen Bernier-Grand that is in the link, I would. Probably not for the Mora one.

My feelings, exactly.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 27 2013 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Whoops Mary, meant to copy your next post Yes it was Carmen Bernier-Grand's book I'm contemplating. So going on both your and Jenn's recs I'm going to buy it

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 2:24am | IP Logged Quote Erin

My book arrived today and I love, love, love this book. Absolutely impressed!!!

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version