Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Ease into CM with 6+ Children? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
seven2hold
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 26 2010 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote seven2hold

If you have a large family (including highschoolers)and were going to give advice to another large family interested in easing into CM homeschooling, where would you begin? What if they've tried it before? What if this family has a hard time letting go of a grading system?

Back to Top View seven2hold's Profile Search for other posts by seven2hold

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 26 2010 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Read alouds, reading together as a family. Although with that age spread they may find the need to have two different books, on geared to the younger set one to the older.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 26 2010 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote Lori

Who says you can't have grades for now? Even if it's based on a rubric (grading standard) for effort, you can still call it a grade. Who is more attached to them, Mom/Dad or the kids?

Or do you mean grade levels? Wherever you can combine ages/grades for topics of study, you can always require more in depth response to it, if you want...

And prepare independent work for the older ones to do while you're working with the younger ones...as well as have the older ones pair up with a younger one from time to time (Oh, how I wish I had high schoolers at home for school!)

And just start with the basics...reading/writing, math, science, history...you can add more as you get into a routine and are comfortable. I'm not comfortable yet!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 27 2010 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Hmmmm....If I were easing "back" in to CM with a large family...I'd probably do what Erin recommends and start with read alouds as well. I'd also begin asking for narrations.

Since you have older children, I think it's pretty important to communicate with them so I'd also probably start some conversations about why I felt a move in this direction to be important. Let them offer feedback, concerns, criticisms. I haven't been in the position of needing to compel a teen in a direction like this so I can't say what I'd do, but I know conversation & communication would be a part of it.

If you're still unsure yourself, I'd READ, READ, READ....everything I could get my hands on - both about the philosophy and especially about the practical! There are a lot of people that share on their blogs how the practical works for them and that is SO helpful to me!

Once you've had conversations and everyone is ready to move forward, I'd look at what you've got going for history and literature. The next step would be to consider the time period the kids are studying (no problem if they're all over the map there!) and begin working in living books and asking for narrations. Living books and narrations is where I'd focus next because it really is at the heart of a CM education.

If I could make a recommendation...I'd recommend the Simply Charlotte Mason Seminars on DVD. The Books and Things seminar would be fantastic for you!! And The All Day Charlotte Mason Seminar is my favorite. There is a touch of philosophy of education there, but it's mostly practical-rubber-meets-the-road help. I think you'd find them enjoyable.

As far as the grading system...I probably wouldn't make a big deal of it but just slowly let it fade out of the picture. If you need to grade, offer grades on the attention offered during read alouds, or the effort given during a narration. As Lori mentioned, you can create your own rubrics for grading so that you keep this feature if its important to your family - but your rubric is based on the foundational keys important to a CM education and not on the typical grading standard. You can still grade math and latin, etc.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Jenifleur
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 27 2010 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote Jenifleur

Wow ~ thanks for the links. I need the immersion method, LOL!

mama2many
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 28 2010 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote mama2many

I'm NEW to homeschooling and looking to move from Seton to CM.. I'm reading Real Learningright now, and it's really striking me as EXACTLY what I need for our learning environment..

My oldest is 9 1/2 so we're going to have some rough bits, but most will come from dh.

We were BOTH public schooled, MIL was a public school teacher for 40 years, so she's SUPER supportive..
But when God calls, not everyone "outside" understands... right?

M (12/00)
J (12/01)
K (6/06)
J (7/08)
A (7/10)
C (11/12)
My Clones in Action

Back to Top View mama2many's Profile Search for other posts by mama2many Visit mama2many's Homepage

seven2hold
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote seven2hold

We are reading. We are reading a few different books. I haven't begun narration yet. I suppose this is the next step.

Jen,
The CM seminars look very tempting. They are just not in the budget. I do have Real Learning and am reading it once again.

Lori,
It's the older kids that want the grades.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

seven2hold wrote:
We are reading. We are reading a few different books. I haven't begun narration yet. I suppose this is the next step.

Here is Jen's post on Narration, and at the end she links to HIGHER UP & FURTHER IN's fabulous posts on Narration too.

And, here are the threads with NARRATION in the subject topic.

And, this thread in particular has lots of great links.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Jenifleur
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 9:53pm | IP Logged Quote Jenifleur

Thanks! I looked through part of the links. So much information there!! Where do I begin!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Kathy

I was just over at Simply Charlotte Mason and saw Making the Transition to CM and thought of you.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

mama2many
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 09 2010 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote mama2many

Thanks, I know that wasn't for "me" but I appreciate the link!!!

M (12/00)
J (12/01)
K (6/06)
J (7/08)
A (7/10)
C (11/12)
My Clones in Action

Back to Top View mama2many's Profile Search for other posts by mama2many Visit mama2many's Homepage

seven2hold
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 09 2010 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote seven2hold

Erin,

That link is *just* what I was loking for! Thank you!

Jenifleur
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Nov 09 2010 at 6:15pm | IP Logged Quote Jenifleur

Yes~ thanks so much!!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version